Remembering 9/11

Joggy

Reaction score
Let me be the first non-American to say on this "anniversary", my sympathy to what happened a year ago. May such horrid things never happen again.

Best wishes to everyone who has to live with fear and sadness over the loss of friends and family.

This is the song that makes me think of things like this...

--------
Every place I go
Noone seems to know
Everything is always the same
Still I need to trust
In the best of us
That we change the rules up again

It's time to live as one
Time to live as one

Watching here and there
Noone seems to care
We could tear the whole thing apart
Can't we pay the price
Make a sacrifice
Though we're different right from the start?

It's time to live as one
Time to live as one
It's time to live as one
Time to live as one

Needle fights the thread
Baker works the bread
Wind and wave make woe on the sea
Nature knows her way
Shows it every day
To join us though we still disagree

It's time to live as one
Time to live as one
It's time to live as one
Time to live as one

It's time to live as one
Time to live as one

------

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's such a pointless, horrible, tragidy! All these people killed over what? Religion!!!! And not even knowing it. I think it's a disgracefull, horrible cop-out to use religion as a crutch to kill, hate, and try for world domination. And I don't just mean Islamic militants. Most religions (including Christianity, and Judism) fight because of misinterpreting holy texts!

What also ticks me off is the situation in Israel. The palistinians and Israelis are blowing eachother up for...you guessed it, RELIGION!!!! (oh, and land, but that's what the religion has to do with it.

But everytime I think of war, I say that Dr. Seuss hit the nail in the head with "The Butter Battle Book." It's a perfect way to illustrait that war is basically fought over differences. In it, two groups of people kill eachother and go to war over what side of the toast you butter!

How different is that from bombing and tanks in the middle east?

Wake me up when humanity evolves into something smarter!:mad:

Luke

Reaction score
It hardly seems like a year - i can remember what i was doing right now a year ago. Such a sorry day - lets hope things get better !

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
It has been an unreal year defined by that horrible day. I hope and pray that the worst is behind us and that our pain does not find itself translated into destruction in other parts of the world. :frown:
Erin

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
It has been an unreal year defined by that horrible day. I hope and pray that the worst is behind us and that our pain does not find itself translated into destruction in other parts of the world.
Agreed. one of my deepest fears is that our government will turn us into another country's "taliban", as we rain down the fire and brimstone upon someone else's innocent men, women and children...and all in the name of "Patriotism".

the taliban's version of patriotism is what started this whole thing to begin with.

and why are we switching our focus to sadam anyway? shouldn't we be concentrating on bin laden? i mean, if sadam is ACTUALLY developing nuclear weapons, then i agree...but we can't forget that osama's still out there somewhere.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
and why are we switching our focus to sadam anyway? shouldn't we be concentrating on bin laden? i mean, if sadam is ACTUALLY developing nuclear weapons, then i agree...but we can't forget that osama's still out there somewhere.
Personally I think that the Bush family (at least George, Sr.) has some vendetta against Saddam, and W. is just going after him because he's President now, so he can do that.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Personally--and I could be completely wrong--I still think Bin Laden was trumped up as the villain in order to give the public someone to focus on. I don't doubt he was involved, but I do doubt that he was the monster at the head of the whole attack and that his death/capture would end any future attacks. That being said, there's been rumor that Bin Laden is indeed dead.

This date also happens to be the 1 year anniversary of the move away from my home and family where I grew up in Utah to Texas in order to find employment after the whole dot-com fall-out. It was a pretty surreal experience to wake up after my first night in a new "alien" home to learn that all **** was breaking loose. I doubt I'll ever be able to forget that day.

Ironically I joked in a prophetic manner during the confusion of the 2000 election, that when it was finally decided who would be president that within a year there would be a war so that the winner could lead the US to victory and prove why he was needed as our president. I had no idea the prophesy--at least in part--would be fulfilled. If anyone has seen "Wag The Dog" they can probably attest with me that this fictional movie was probably more true to real life than many documentaries.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
Personally I think that the Bush family (at least George, Sr.) has some vendetta against Saddam, and W. is just going after him because he's President now, so he can do that.
I feel that way too! I am so increadably scared of the aspect of another war (because I'm afraid I'll get drafted and die) just to stop Saddam. In my opinion, Saddam is the Castro of his day. No matter how hard the president and all will try to stop him, he'll still be around!

And when I think of Saddam, I can't help thinking of the Simpsons episode in which that woman was trying to assasinate him, and Krusty jumps her just so he can keep doing his jokes. I keep having that picture replayed over and over in my head!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
I think all the people who have expressed anti-war feelings towards Iraq are basically too compassionate and a little naive. Saddam used biological and chemical weapons before, and was close to developing Nuclear. Are we to think that he suddenly stopped all this just because he was forced out of Kuwait and some weapons inspectors came in who were basically lied to and only shown 'safe' places. Of course not !

Saddam and Bin Laden are pretty much the same kind of people, and their people mix with each other, swap intelligence etc etc. If either Saddam or Bin Laden were to unleash nuclear weapons on either the USA or UK (UK being closer, is actually MORE at risk) it would be too late to do anything - we would have seen the threat coming but because we are 'nice' people and don't want people to die it is suggested we try to solve anything with time consuming diplomatic means which just gives the other side more time to plan nasty things against us. People like Saddam and Bin Laden don't play 'nice' and will strike as soon as they get the chance and so we need to act now to stop a major disaster where it is too late to act in the future.

As for George W - he's just doing what Clinton was afraid to do because of exactly this kind of public opinion. They have all sorts of tip off's and intelligence but they don't reveal it - they don't just bomb a country for the sake of it - they usually do it because they know something and that would explain the immediate focus on Iraq.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
More than anything else, September 11 showed me what it was to be an American. It doesn't matter how many flags you own or how many things you paint red, white, and blue. It's the meaning behind those flags that matter.

Since that day the battle cry has been "Freedom!" People talk about this country, and "freedom", yet they look the other way when it comes to security. Yes, it would be horrible if we didn't do anything to prevent another attact, but don't trample on the Constitiution, and don't talk about preserving freedom when you take it away. That's not what this country is about.