Remember this commerical?

That Announcer

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
How do you spell relief?
"R-O-L-A-I-D-S!" Ah, the jamming of one's brain that occurs due to commercial overload. Dave Barry calls it "brain sludge", and he says it also occurs with TV theme songs. I tend to believe him, but I'm certainly not an Adbusters supporter. :smile:

RedDragon

Reaction score
Pop! Pop! Fizz! Fizz! Oh, what a relief it is!
(What is this one?)

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh yes. Saw it many times in the 70's. R-O-L-A-I-D-S! When I was little in the early 70's I would say to my parents, "No, it's spelled r-e-l-i-e-f isn't it?"

And one time as a teenager I went to the local 7-11 and bought a ton of junk food (doritos, doughnuts, soda, etc.) and the guy at the counter said, "You forgot the Rolaids!".

The 70's had some interesting commercials. "Don't squeeze the Charmin." "I drink Dr. Pepper don'tcha know." "This is a job for Kool-Aid. (Giant pitcher comes through) Oh yeahhh! KoolAid knocks out thirst in you. Oh zsheahhh!"
It's funny the ones from the early 70's that would last for years and years. Like the classic Life cereal - "He likes it! Hey Mikey!" and the board game Perfection:
When you're into Perfection, keep on your toes
You gotta move quick so here's how it goes
Push the plunger down set the timer
Put the pieces in place
Don't be slow you gotta move out fast
Move out fast
Before the pieces pop out before you put in the last
*Pieces pop out*
And that's perfection

I didn't memorize that, it's just from seeing it so many times. I never owned that game either.

Ziffel

Reaction score
RedDragon said:
Pop! Pop! Fizz! Fizz! Oh, what a relief it is!
(What is this one?)
Oh I was overlapping you and TA. Alka seltzer to the rescue!

That Announcer

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
"Don't squeeze the Charmin."
Die, Whipple! Die!

In another classic Dave Barry moment, his "world's worst commercial" poll indicated that the most-hated television commercials were the ones for Charmin, Snuggle and Shake'n'Bake (I think), and the most hated radio commercials were the ones in which the announcer- and I quote- "SHOUTS AT YOU AS THOUGH YOU WERE AN IDIOT and then in the last three seconds of the commercial says what seems to be the entire US tax code."

RedDragon

Reaction score
Know this one: *-*-*-*-* It's ALIIIIIIIVE!
(each * is a letter)

Ziffel

Reaction score
You got me there, Red Dragon.

But have to mention these other classics:

"Hey, how about a nice Hawaiin punch?" "Sure" *Punch!*

"It's slinky it's slinky, such a wonderful toy. It's slinky it's slinky. It's fun for a girl or a boy. It's fun for a girl or a boy."

"That Big Red freshness lasts right through it. You're fresh breath goes on and on while you chew it. Say goodbye a little longer...."

"Honeycomb's big. Yeah Yeah Yeah! It's not small. No No No! Honeycomb's got a big big bite. Big Big Bite! It tastes right!" (Say, do they still make that cereal? And, for that matter, do they still make Sugar Smacks (DigEm'!), Alphabits (Hey that would be a good SS cereal!), Golden Grahams, and Super Sugar Crisp? I don't buy cereal too much but haven't noticed these for a long time in the aisles. One that I think is defunct for a LONG time is Clackers. There's a photo of me eating by hand from a box of Clackers around 1970 when I was 3.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Being born when I was, I honestly have never seen any of these commercials. However, I've heard about them from my parents, my grandparents, Dave Barry (my patron saint), and now you guys. How about:

"Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean gets rid of dirt and grease and grime in just a minute!" (Always sounded to me like it was telling you to wait...)

luvtosr

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
"Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean gets rid of dirt and grease and grime in just a minute!" (Always sounded to me like it was telling you to wait...)
Over here *sings*

"Mr. Sheen shines umpteen things clean!"

Why are these cleaning products called 'Mr'? I dunno about yours but Mr.Sheen is from the age when women were still expected to do most, of not all, of the housework.