Red Fraggle is in the house!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I wasn't quite satisfied with her mouth. Het lower jaw was just a touch too long, and it didn't close quite right. So, I finally bit the bullet and made her a new head. I pulled the eyeballs and hair off the existing head and stuck them on the new one after lengthening the pigtail stalks.

Much better, I think.

ToodlesTeam

Reaction score
She already looked good before, but she looks darn near perfect now! Very much like the real thing. Great job! :excited:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I wasn't quite satisfied with her mouth. Het lower jaw was just a touch too long, and it didn't close quite right. So, I finally bit the bullet and made her a new head. I pulled the eyeballs and hair off the existing head and stuck them on the new one after lengthening the pigtail stalks.

Much better, I think.
Oh! It's noooo problem at all, Kim. This is great! Rebuilding puppets is a great way to learn your mistakes from your first puppet even if it isn't perfect. I understand if you don't want to be ensthusastic, but I do like to compliment on Muppet fans including ones that are beginning to be puppeteers.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong! I'm quite enthusiastic about the improvements, and think that they were well worth my time. I just underplay things a bit so I don't sound like I'm saying "Ooo, aren't I great?!" Even though that's how I may feel. :excited:

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
That must be something fun to walk into the house and see!!!

Slackbot

Reaction score
It is. I walk in and see it every day, as that's right opposite my front door.

Sometimes people come to my front door and start out talking to me, but soon they're staring over my shoulder.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Can i ask how you attached her eyes to her head? Are they just glued on?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Yes, I love the revised Red, too. I don't know if it was the lighting or shape, but the first Red had a ridge going down her nose. Great work. Love your collection of Fraggles and puppets.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Muppetlab: I attached wires to the bottoms of her eyeballs, then poked them right through her head and twisted them together on the inside. Then I bent them back and covered the ends with the foam padding that I insert to keep my hand from rattling around inside the head.

muppetperson: Thank you! That "ridge" is a seam that was imperfectly brushed down. Now that I use the baseball stitch on the heads I no longer have raised ridges to deal with, but hiding seams is still a pain-in-the-neck task, and the wrong lighting can make an imperfectly picked & brushed seam into a Frankenstein scar!

If you watch the original series carefully you can see some seams and ridges on the puppets. The most obvious one runs down the middle of Large Marvin's snout. I also often see seams around wrists and ankles, and when characters look up sometimes between the neck and head. Somehow spotting those makes me feel a little better about my own puppets' imperfections. :smile: