Red Fraggle Collectible Doll by Greg Ortiz

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Here she is, it says the first in a line! $1200 though, I think will limit the amount if fans who can buy one. Ltd edition of just 50!!i think she looks a bit rough, almost like the frith sketches when fraggle rock was in development!! I think the eyes look too big. One more thing, when did red start wearing cashmere!!! Must be all the royalties from the DVD sales!!

Chris

Slackbot

Reaction score
I dunno... she looks nice, but for $1200 I'd think she could be more accurate. Her fur color and sweater texture are obviously off, and as mentioned her eyes are Wembley-sized, making her look like a much younger version of herself. The flat feet and baby hands don't help. And it appears that she's been on a diet.

It also bugs me that the orange and yellow feathers in her hair appear to be different lengths and textures, as if the orange barbs were taken from smaller feathers. The yellow strands are lighter than they ought to be, so they stand out rather than blending in. And since when did Red ever have magenta in her hair?

Eh, don't mind me. I've been proofreading books and magazines for months and it's hard to shift out of nitpicker mode.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
If he makes a Wembley, Gobo, and Boober...I will be broke. I am hoping that there will be some way for me to get my hands on one of them (Christmas???), but I highly doubt it.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Here she is from the back, far too much ribbon and they go to high up. I was really looking forward to the new 30 year merchandise, but so far it's been very slow and disappointing!! Still can't believe how much these cost. Even licensed life size muppet replicas cost a quarter of that price!!!

Chris :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know who to blame more, the retailers that clearly don't care about FR merchandise, or the fact that there's probably zero interest in FR merchandising that isn't on the high end. I mean, Funko should be able to release some bobbleheads and Pop figures of these characters and have them appear at smaller retailers that deal with nostalgic characters.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't know who to blame more, the retailers that clearly don't care about FR merchandise, or the fact that there's probably zero interest in FR merchandising that isn't on the high end. I mean, Funko should be able to release some bobbleheads and Pop figures of these characters and have them appear at smaller retailers that deal with nostalgic characters.
I look at products like this as a misreading of the potential audience for Fraggle merchandise. Who is going to spend $1,200.00 on this? Fans on a budget won't, and fans who can drop the money would be better served going to get a puppet commissioned or something like that. Why not make something people might want? Like a collection of the picture books from the eighties in a coffee-table book type thing. They could charge a bit for that, but it would be something fans might want.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'm a huge Fraggle Rock fan, but why in the world would I spend $1,200 on a plush? Sure it looks good, the most I'd be willing to spend on a plush would be $15. I don't know why anyone would buy this.

I feel bad for anyone who does. Save your money for better stuff. You can buy thousands of FR merchandise with that money.

Bridget

Reaction score
You know something, when I saw this I really got my hopes up for a purchase. But as I began to examine the quality, the "no-texture-resemblance", and especially her extended ribbons from the back view, I lost motives. How on earth could you possibly ask for such a price when it is not even close to being worth the pay? I would usually show interest, but this design fails to even allow me to.

P.S: Eyes look a bit like Wembley's...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I look at products like this as a misreading of the potential audience for Fraggle merchandise. Who is going to spend $1,200.00 on this? Fans on a budget won't, and fans who can drop the money would be better served going to get a puppet commissioned or something like that. Why not make something people might want? Like a collection of the picture books from the eighties in a coffee-table book type thing. They could charge a bit for that, but it would be something fans might want.
Again, it's all about retailers and licensees. Stores don't want to sell Nostalgic merchandise unless they're extremely evergreen or have a project coming up, and if no one's in the market to sell them, no one's going to be in the market to make them. On the Big Henson three totem pole, Sesame Street is on top, The Muppets are second, and The Fraggles are at the bottom, as unlike the other two (not for the lack of trying) aren't constantly on the air (minus reruns) or in the middle of a series of movies. They have the Hub reruns, and that's about it. There's too much risk, and the companies that could provide the collectors with accessible, low to middle end products would rather get any other license there is. So, we're stuck with designers making high end collectibles for those with enough money to drop 1200 bucks n a limited edition ultra collectible with only a few pieces being made.

If that Doozers cartoon would at least get picked up over here by one of any number of educational outlets (it deserves to be on PBS), we'd see Doozers preschool stuff, sure... but that would open the door for more collector friendly nostalgic merchandising. Something tells me we'll see the cartoon in a year or two.