Ratings info for the NBC Christmas Movie!

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by kansasteen14
so no one knows when this will be shown again?
What I'm hearing is, probably never again on NBC. Despite the good spin some media outlets are giving the movie, word is NBC is *not* happy with the ratings results and will not likely yield up two hours of airtime in the future for a rerun that will continue to deliver diminishing returns. However, you can bet it will turn up on cable - doesn't everything? - so stay tuned. :smile:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by murgatoad
What I'm hearing is, probably never again on NBC. Despite the good spin some media outlets are giving the movie, word is NBC is *not* happy with the ratings results and will not likely yield up two hours of airtime in the future for a rerun that will continue to deliver diminishing returns.

*sticks tongue out at NBC* you make me mad! i don't have cable *cries*

Luke

Reaction score
Despite the good spin some media outlets are giving the movie, word is NBC is *not* happy with the ratings results and will not likely yield up two hours of airtime in the future for a rerun that will continue to deliver diminishing returns.
Whats your source for that ? The local PR affiliate person ? I'm just curious because i work in TV production and have spoken with two NBC development producers and a programming executive over the last couple of days for something completely different. I just didn't get this downer reaction you seem to be trying to put over on mention of the movie - seems it was fine, they'd have liked a bigger audience but then it was a slow night. The main object was to use the movie as part of a promotional launch for the seasonal schedule. Maybe on a local level your dude isn't quite getting what NBC were trying to do here.

I'm not saying they'll fall over themselves to repeat it in a prime time spot next year but i wouldn't count it out just yet of being in the schedule somewhere if the brand continues to have a high profile through 2003.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Whats your source for that ? The local PR affiliate person ? I'm just curious because i work in TV production and have spoken with two NBC development producers and a programming executive over the last couple of days for something completely different. I just didn't get this downer reaction you seem to be trying to put over on mention of the movie - seems it was fine, they'd have liked a bigger audience but then it was a slow night. The main object was to use the movie as part of a promotional launch for the seasonal schedule. Maybe on a local level your dude isn't quite getting what NBC were trying to do here.

I'm not saying they'll fall over themselves to repeat it in a prime time spot next year but i wouldn't count it out just yet of being in the schedule somewhere if the brand continues to have a high profile through 2003.
Yeah, my friend is PR for my local affiliate. And he's pretty down about the film. I have no idea how others involved in NBC feel about the film's performance beyond what this guy has told me. (And BTW, he probably told me more than he should have). :wink: NBC really expected - according to him - big numbers for the movie and it didn't deliver. It's on that, I imagine, that he based his comment that he doubted it'd be rerun on NBC next year. That's his take. It's nothing official.

What I don't get from your message is the idea that NBC wanted the film to be used as a "promotional launch for the seasonal schedule". Do "Will and Grace" and "Friends" really need a 10 million dollar 2-hour Muppet movie as a promotional tool? I'm not being snarky, and you certainly sound knowledgable, but I don't get this angle. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't get it.

towels

Reaction score
What I don't get from your message is the idea that NBC wanted the film to be used as a "promotional launch for the seasonal schedule". Do "Will and Grace" and "Friends" really need a 10 million dollar 2-hour Muppet movie as a promotional tool? I'm not being snarky, and you certainly sound knowledgable, but I don't get this angle. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't get it.
Seems to me it was more likely promoting Scrubs, Fear Factor, and the Carson Daly show, since they were in it and all. Well, that and American Dreams, but I can't think of that without wanting to cry...

murgatoad

Reaction score
The official final ratings are in. The Muppet movie ended up with a 5.7 rating, which placed it in the mid-50's in the rankings.

Make of that what you will. Frankly, figuring out Nielsen ratings is too much like math and makes my head hurt... :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
Whenever i've been to season launches for the christmas period it's not just about the mainstays - like "Friends", "Fraiser" - though of course they are most important and where the real money and audience is. They always like to have a family project with the 'Ahhh' factor, like NBC bringing the magic of christmas to their viewers. I can imagine at the launch there was much talk of 'bringing back those timeless classic characters, the Muppets to star in a seasonal movie that will have NBC viewers digging up the christmas tree's, drinking egg nog and loving the network for the seasonal treats they are about to recieve. It's all about promotion and brand loyalty and i guess the other network was trying to do exactly the same thing with the Brady movie. It's all kinda like the opening of the movie 'Scrooged' if you've seen it (except Kermit doesn't enter holding an M16 rifle to help out Santa). Obviously numbers matter, but i'm sure if NBC really wanted purely blockbuster numbers they would have either chosen something else or have aired this around christmas. Obviously nobodies jumping through hoops at the numbers but i think it was respectable for the Muppets although yes, the promotion and budget should have ideally pushed it a little higher but it was a slow night.

beaker

Reaction score
NBC really expected - according to him - big numbers for the movie and it didn't deliver.
NBC only has themselves to blame. I said this a couple weeks ago and I'll say it again...they had hardly any commercials for VMC until a week or so before, if that.

Also, who were they trying to markey this to? They messed up by not playing th eolder angle in the previews...should shown Pepe's more risque moments, Animal funnel chugging, and Scooter cage dancing. Those execs are idiots.

And they expected this to do good? How? On people's magical ability ability to know a Muppet tv movie is gonna premiere on the busiest shopping day of the year? Bullocks!

The ratings have more to do with with NBC not wanting to promote this or promote it right to a designated target(they thought 'um, well...well make people think its a family warm and fuzzy movie and hope the older crowd turn in to') along with just the time slot. Friday night, day after Thanksgiving on a Holiday weekend, busiest shopping day of the year. Go figure.

As for Frasier...does anybody actually watch that? I didnt know America has a fondness for middle age snobs who wax phillosophically about their suffering plight of bad lattes and
hand crafted import furniture from Tuscano.
Fraiser: "Oh dear goodness Niles! Why...this expresso seems a bit peculair wouldnt you surmise ol chap?"
Niles: "Thats poppycock!"

Then again pretentious 'Snippy Snide Gap' shows like Friends and Will and Grace do great in the ratings.

Luke

Reaction score
NBC promoted this to the hilt the week before - to all different age groups from the 'Today Show' to 'Craig Kilborn'. Maybe they put it in the wrong timeslot, maybe the commercials weren't as good or enticing as they could have been, heck maybe if all they wanted was numbers they should never have gone with the Muppets (who obviously haven't had a high profile show or dedicated audience in ages) but i can't really fault the volume of promotion - certainly appearance wise there are only so many shows you can stick Kermit around and only so many different things he can say about the movie.

Maybe they should have used other Muppets in the guest appearances rather than using Kermit for every one, or had them do something else than just be interviewed on the show.

VEND-O-FACE

Reaction score
What about...

What about the usually overlooked farm poulty demographic? Anybody know how it scored with them? There was supposed to be a lot of word-of-beak promotion for the film. :big_grin: