Ratings info for the NBC Christmas Movie!

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Your friend is kinda right about the methods but it didn't underperform - it was bang on the level. NBC wouldn't have promised any more than 10/12 million viewers for this as they simply had no yardstick to measure the Muppets by. They probably will end up losing some money on it but then again they don't always make massive profits on special projects around the holiday seasons and do throw a lot of cash away in order to better the other networks and create a 'feel good factor'. They balance things out by justifying it as a promotional effort for their other shows and repeat showings in the future. I really doubt they'll be giving out any "make up slots" but generally these are in the middle of the night anyway ! :big_grin:

Luke
* Also been to ratings school ! *
Well, you may be right (I'm a graduate of "ratings school" - that is if you grade on the curve :wink: ) - anyway, what my friend said about expectations was that NBC expected the movie to do numbers at least along the lines of what "The Santa Clause" repeat did on ABC a couple of weeks ago, but it fell short. What I got from him overall is that NBC expected more, especially given the weak competition last Friday (which he says is the reason NBC moved the special to Nov. 29th instead of December 8th, a Sunday). I'm not saying your take is wrong - just tellin' ya what the guy told me. :smile:

Mykol Gantt

Reaction score
Spending $10 million dollars on a 2 hour TV movie shows that NBC was after something BIG in the ratings. The average cost of a TV movie is $5 million. As for having no yardstick to measure the Muppets by, they probably perceived them to be more popular than they actually are nowadays. The Muppets are pop icons and I'm sure NBC was counting on this to bring in significantly more than 11mil. viewers. The network obviously had faith in the film, but 11 million viewers for a $10 million, 2 hour production probably isn't going to inspire them to commission anymore Muppet movies at that price. Friday night was a mistake, because it was the holiday weekend and everyone was at the cinema. It may have been better for it to air on a Sunday. CBS always does killer numbers on that night with their Hallmark fare. NBC was probably hoping for 15 million viewers or more. Of course we have to take into account foreign and home video sales. If those do well enough NBC may wish to produce another film (at a cheaper price). But I know alot of people who aren't buying the video because they want a DVD:frown:

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mykol Gantt
Spending $10 million dollars on a 2 hour TV movie shows that NBC was after something BIG in the ratings. The average cost of a TV movie is $5 million. As for having no yardstick to measure the Muppets by, they probably perceived them to be more popular than they actually are nowadays. The Muppets are pop icons and I'm sure NBC was counting on this to bring in significantly more than 11mil. viewers. The network obviously had faith in the film, but 11 million viewers for a $10 million, 2 hour production probably isn't going to inspire them to commission anymore Muppet movies at that price. Friday night was a mistake, because it was the holiday weekend and everyone was at the cinema. It may have been better for it to air on a Sunday. CBS always does killer numbers on that night with their Hallmark fare. NBC was probably hoping for 15 million viewers or more. Of course we have to take into account foreign and home video sales. If those do well enough NBC may wish to produce another film (at a cheaper price). But I know alot of people who aren't buying the video because they want a DVD:frown:
*bows to your infallible logic* :big_grin:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Is there a way to vote or take pole on line to add to the listing of what you watched somewhere on line?

i mean it does not just work as if the tv knows your watching It's a very Merry Muppet Chirstmas and that your a teen or adult or even kid and just keep record....or does it:smile:

Zachary,

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mykol Gantt
Spending $10 million dollars on a 2 hour TV movie shows that NBC was after something BIG in the ratings. The average cost of a TV movie is $5 million. As for having no yardstick to measure the Muppets by, they probably perceived them to be more popular than they actually are nowadays. The Muppets are pop icons and I'm sure NBC was counting on this to bring in significantly more than 11mil. viewers. The network obviously had faith in the film, but 11 million viewers for a $10 million, 2 hour production probably isn't going to inspire them to commission anymore Muppet movies at that price.
You have to weigh in the idea that they used the film as a promotional tool for themselves - thats kinda an excuse in 'TV Land' to throw some unrecoupable money at it when you aren't sure if it'll do that well ratings and advertiser wise but need a high profile project for a seasonal night. Most TV movies aren't one long advertisement for the peacock. I also agree that any future projects wouldn't be given as high a budget but then it typically wouldn't for a follow up project anyway. I think they were probably expecting between 10-15 million - it'd suprise me if they expected more than that because the Muppets are so well known for blowing hot and cold in the business. I personally think Friday night was a good move for them but they (NBC) were obviously aware of how things could go as they had a mad dash at the end to promote it.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
Is there a way to vote or take pole on line to add to the listing of what you watched somewhere on line?

i mean it does not just work as if the tv knows your watching It's a very Merry Muppet Chirstmas and that your a teen or adult or even kid and just keep record....or does it:smile:

Zachary,
Oh I know! How the heck do they know who watched it, or even how many people tuned in. I have no cable and just an antenna for goodness sakes.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Oh I know! How the heck do they know who watched it, or even how many people tuned in. I have no cable and just an antenna for goodness sakes.
My theory is that if we can see them, they can see us too.

But that's just my thoery...

:big_grin:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
My theory is that if we can see them, they can see us too.

But that's just my thoery...

I like that theory! :smile:

Oh, look---I just did an EMMYISM! LOL!