Racism on Sesame Street?

BEAR

Reaction score
Racism/tolerance is a huge issue that Sesame Street has always done well. In Follow That Bird, it was a major theme.

BEAR

Reaction score
I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have shown the racist person. Surely it couldn't have been Oscar...
No way. They wouldn't have Oscar do something like that. Even Oscar doesn't go that far. Oscar likes to tease and make fun, not degrade. Plus, Oscar is meant to be a likeable character. If he were the "racist", it would ruin him.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
well think about it. Miss Finch was so determined to put Big Bird with his ''own kind" and thought he was living "all alone" when he actually lived in a big place with a lot of friends who cared very much about him. Maria makes this very clear to her at the end of the movie, pointing out all the different types of people and animals, and Monsters and grouches, and Honkers they have on Sesame Street.

BEAR

Reaction score
well think about it. Miss Finch was so determined to put Big Bird with his ''own kind" and thought he was living "all alone" when he actually lived in a big place with a lot of friends who cared very much about him. Maria makes this very clear to her at the end of the movie, pointing out all the different types of people and animals, and Monsters and grouches, and Honkers they have on Sesame Street.
Yeah. It also really comes out in the scene where Big Bird is reading the postcard he got from Snuffy.

Daddy Dodo: Who is Mr. Snuffleupeegah...Snuffleup...?(can't pronouce it)
Big Bird: Snuffleupagus.
Daddy: Yeah!
Big Bird: Well, he's my best friend.
Mommy: What kind of a bird is he?
Big Bird: Oh, he's not a bird. He's a snuffleupagus.
Daddy: But your best friend should be a bird!
Big Bird: Why?
Mommy: Because you're a bird. Isn't that right, Daddy?
Daddy: That's right, Mommy! And you should be with your own kind...birds!
Mommy: You'll find lots of birds your own age.
Daddy: And meet some new best friends. Now, come on out and hunt for worms!
Big Bird: But I don't wanna hunt worms. I want Snuffy to come and visit. And if he can't come and visit I don't wanna be here anymore. I wanna go home!
Mommy: But you are home! (laughs)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if it would have been a good idea to have shown the racist person. Surely it couldn't have been Oscar...

Of course it couldn't be. Oscar does love everyone one on the street like they were his own family... don't tell me you don't have a grumpy grandparent or uncle in your family.

But I feel this is funny, since some very ignorant people lambasted Sesame Street when it first came out because it had such a culturally diverse crowd.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Their were actually a few affiliates in the southern region of the country who didn't even want to air the show. But one particular on in Mississippi didn't have much of a choice because commercial stations were going to put the show on instead.

Oscar's an equal opportunity grump!:big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess it would have been too much for Oscar to have been the one to have given negative comments about people of different races being friends. And I guess it also would have gone too far, even for Oscar, if Oscar made the call just to tease them or make them miserable. And Savion would have probably recognised Oscar's voice, even if Oscar disguised it over the phone.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Sesame Street has always been at the forefront when it comes to tackling difficult issues such as racism, illness or even death. Many kids' first experiences of racism and prejudice would be eased slightly once it has been explained to them in easy terms. It's almost like it being explained by a close personal friend.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah! I love how Sesame Street has to ability to be almost that of like a good friend!:smile: