1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

R.I.P. Barbara Billingsley

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by Kuriboh Man, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

2. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Oh no...not Nanny! She will be greatly missed.
  3. RIP Barbara Billingsley

Just wanted to let you guys know that Barbara Billingsly passed away today at age 94. Aside from Leave It To Beaver fame, Muppet fans know her as the voice of Nanny.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=603775&GT1=28103

A television pioneer, and a mainstay of 80s childhood.
  4. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

5. Snuffylover

Snuffylover New Member

Rest in peace Ms. Billingsly. I will always remember you as the kind mother on Leave it to Beaver.
  6. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Well said. As soon as I heard the news I went here. I was just watching the last episode of MB the other day, and thinking how cool it was to still have her around in her nineties. She was perfect as Nanny. You know the saying, "I can't imagine it being anyone else" - well that's the case here. RIP Ms. Billingsely and thanks...
  7. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

Yeah. Her death got me pretty hard. Nanny was one of my favourite Muppet-related characters ever. Partly because I loved the randomness of these baby Muppet creatures overseen by a human caretaker. I always wondered how Nanny got saddled with that one!

But it was mainly because of her voice. Barbara Billingsley did a wonderful job giving Nanny the perfect maternal voice of reason and patience. She was very soothing to listen to as a child.

I will miss her very much.
  8. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I saw this headline yesterday and my first thought was to pass it along to the other members of my improv comedy troupe. I remember a couple of years back, we were playing a Christmas show at the country club, and during a break, we were just standing around shooting the breeze, having a free-form discussion of movies or performances that we still think are hilarious.

Someone brought up Airplane! and almost telepathically, we immediately zeroed in on two lines by Barbara Billingsley as being the ones we unianimously thought were the funniest in the film: "Stewardess? I speak jive" and "Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help!"

We were almost wetting ourselves with laughter reenacting that scene. Sigh, good times.

She was great at being all-American mom June Cleaver, equally loveable as the Muppet Babies' Nanny... but don't overlook her comedic genius in Airplane!

Alex
  9. muppfozz

muppfozz Member

When I heard the sad news the first thing I thought of was Nannny and her striped socks.
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

As long as they don't have to deal with this Nanny. That's too terrible to even think about.

Joking aside, this is very saddening, since we just lost one of the great Sesame Street illustrators as well. She was perfectly picked as Nanny, giving a nice, quite motherly tone to the otherwise rowdy characters. Muppet babies, warts and all (not getting in the great MB debate, especially since I'm on the Yay side), was a brilliant little kid's cartoon... and I don't think it would have had the same feel if we had a different VA to be nanny. She will be missed.
  11. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Barbara Billingsley will always be remembered by me as June Cleaver on "Leave It to Beaver" (as well as on "Still The Beaver") and of course the voice of Nanny on "Muppet Babies".
    And yes- her role in "Airplane" is hilarious!
    But at least she lived a pretty good long life at 94 years of age. But always sad to see her go. May God comfort her family during this sad time.:concern::(:sympathy:
  12. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I for one did not see that coming at all. She will be missed. :o:sympathy:
  13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I never tied Nanny and her together until now, but she will be missed. I regret not growing up seeing any Brandy episodes :(
  14. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I got my wife a set of Muppet Babies colorforms for Christmas, she loved that show when her daughter was a kid. She made a comment yesterday about watching a clip on YouTube made her feel like a kid again... I pointed out that it only took her back to when she was 25, not a kid, and she said, "well that feels like a kid now!"

Anyway, she never realized it was 'June Cleaver' as the voice of Nanny. I said I always pictured Barbara Billingsley's face from Airplane whenever Nanny spoke.

Which reminded me of a couple of years ago, our improv troupe did a gig for the local homebuilders association Christmas party. Another act was supposed to follow us, but the schedule got swapped around and we were asked if we'd go on last, which was fine with us.

We stood outside the door of the convention center so Wes and Steifon could smoke, and got into a discussion of funny lines from movies. The 'Jive Lady' from Airplane! was a unanimous winner, we were almost wetting ourselves as we reenacted the scene from memory.

So, I love the Jive Lady, and I love the Muppets. All of which led me last night to edit this fun but irreverent little mashup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0yFkwK7IJ8

Alex
  15. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

Dear Barbara Billingsley,
    I haven't gotten a chance to watch much of Muppet Babies yet, but I do know that you gave a great voice to Nanny. I am sure that, offstage, you were a very kind lady. Thank you,
    Fraggline
  16. bingboingcutie

bingboingcutie Active Member

[QUOTE/] since we just lost one of the great Sesame Street illustrators as well. [/QUOTE]
    [in G. Radner voice:] we did?

Please tell me whom! I will be thankful for that!

Anyway, I'll never forget her--Ms. Billingsley was a part of my childhood. And of course :sympathy:

I'll never forget that night coming home, bawling because my favorite Muppet Baby video, Be My Valentine, was not at the library. :(
    I owe her thanks, she made a character this once 5-year-old could always count on to know that Baby Rowlf was coming into scene in a few minutes. :)