1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Questionably Educational SST Skits

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by minor muppetz, Jul 31, 2007.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah I think that was pretty much "expose the kids to opera early," lol. :)
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

All I can say is:

That's the most questionable thing ever in the history of the show. Moog synthisized music puzzle segments... twin George Washington busts in elevators, giving Elmo 15 minutes at the end of every episode for almost 15 years to talk about feet and yo-yos? None of that has me so much as raise an eyebrow.

But that segment.... here's the thing...

there's nothing educational about it... there's nothing appealing to a child of that age in it... it's terrifying beyond belief... it's not fun to any extent... it's pointless in every single aspect. Why would that be on Sesame Street? Heck, ANY kid's program? I've seen some disturbing animations in my life, but even they have some existential reasoning behind them. That's just creepy for no reason and does nothing. I bet a lot of kids ran to their mommies and hid under couches when that horrifying rabbit came on screen. Even that terrifying bird:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSMNeqI30HY
    At least taught how to say the word "bird."

How did that ever get past anyone at the Children's Television Workshop is beyond me.
  3. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

Yeah, I used to wonder about the educational content of that as well, in fact, I started another thread about it:http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/does-anyone-remember-this-cartoon.15949/ Actually, it wasn't all that different to that one where Oscar and Danny De Vito had a laughing contest, you can watch that one on Youtube.
    http://youtu.be/N1uIIY2glaY
  4. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that object of that one was to teach kids about puberty. I could be wrong.

What did I get from it? Katy Perry has a mousy speaking voice, despite having quite a big singing voice.
  6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm assuming from D'Snowth's post that the vid's the "Hot and Cold" song (can't see what it is on my school comp.) If so, the song's supposed to teach opposites (with "around" thrown in there too for some reason). It all happens so fast that I'm not even sure the point gets across very well.
    heralde likes this.
  7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah that's pretty much what I gleaned from it as well.

And I still say there is nothing objectionable in that video.
  8. Nyperold

Nyperold Member

Well, some of the song content does have good advice: Telly's caution about soap comes to mind. Also, double meanings: "Come on, everybody sing / make the bathtub ring" (i.e., with sound, and referring to the dirt and stuff that floats to the top and sticks to the walls at the water level). (Not to mention this lesson: have fun, but don't forget that there are other people wanting baths, too. ;) )

I wonder if anybody ever became afraid of going down the drain from that sketch. I mean, Mister Rogers had a song intended to reassure us about that, so obviously, some kids had been known to be afraid of it...