Question for the board re: Selling collection

Jason81

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a relatively modest Muppet action figure collection. Due to some financial strains at the moment, I'm looking to part with a lot of things I own to pick up a little extra cash. Please note- this is not a "For Sale" notice or an auction link. I haven't listed anything yet, I just need some advice.

Everything I have is out of the package. Do you think chances are good that I could just sell everything as one big lot, as is? This would be about 15 characters, the kitchen playset, and the Muppet Labs playset. Do you think it would attract any bids? Obviously I can't offer items mint in the package, but I thought it might appeal to customizers or people who just want duplicates of some item. The figures themselves are as new.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

The Narrator

Reaction score
I've struggled with this same dilemma when selling some of my series-based books. In the end, I found it better for both buyer and seller when each item was sold individually. While some of the items might not sell for a great amount (or at all), those items specifically wanted by individuals sometimes can reach greater sale amounts.

Also, people seem to be more inclined to browse items sold individually rather than in bulk. I think there's a certain desperation that is conveyed in bulk sales that tends to frighten the purchaser off.

I'm not in marketing as a career, though, so what few things I have read could be wrong--but as far as my experience goes, I suggest selling individual figures over entire lots. ...The shipping can be a pain, but in the end you may come out ahead a bit (financially) in Shipping & Handling charges.

Hope that helps!

...Incidentally, please send me a message/link if/when you decide to start selling. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
I think what the Narrator said is about right. In the case of the playsets i would sell them seperately but don't start them too low. In the case of the figures there are certain ones (S3 Zoot, S2 Floyd) that are worth selling seperately but if you have any complete series of figures (like the entire S2) you could maybe sell them as a group.

There are though people who have sold things as one big group lot and it has done very well - there are a few big lots up on ebay at the moment actually.

Jason81

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I was under the impression that people would not buy loose figures on ebay. I don't really have any rare figures. I went pretty mainstream in the ones I bought (Kermit, Fozzie, Bunsen, etc).

I do appreciate the advice. What can I expect- a couple of dollars per figure?

Thanks again

The Narrator

Reaction score
I think a lot of customizers or people who play with the toys (like) me aren't immediately put off by loose figures.

Regarding what you can expect per fig... A couple clams seems about right. Most people factor in shipping costs in how much they're willing to pay, so that's going to add $4+ to the buyer's cost of any figure and more for playsets. Actually, it's probably going to be that additional shipping price that hurts bidding on your figs more than the fact that they're loose.

eBay folk can be a strange lot, though. I saw a slice of Velveeta sandwich cheese sell for $5 (+$1 shipping) once. You never know. Your collection might not contain any "special" figs, but it might contain just the one somebody's looking for. ...Except for, perhaps, S1 Miss Piggy. :stick_out_tongue:

Luke

Reaction score
There is a guy who has been selling some of his regular figures lately on the Palisades Toys BST forum - excellent condition with all accessories he wanted between $4 & $6 depending on the rarity. Sold quite a lot of them. Not sure about what people get on Ebay though.