Question: Did the Muppet Show Theatre have an actual name?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Well, Kermit reffered to it as the "Benny Vandergast Memorial Theater" in the first season and it stuck. Hope this helps! :smile:

jamesclover

Reaction score
I've seen it :smile:

Once I had "Benny Vandergast", Google showed the way to the rest!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was it called the Benny Vandergast Theater or the Benny Vandergast Memorial Theater? Oddly enough, Kermit said in the episode where the theaters name is mentioned that the muppets owe a lot to Benny, including three months rent, which would imply that Benny was still alive and still the owner of the theater, but Scooter's uncle is named J.P. Grosse, not Benny Vandergast (and ironically, this was mentioned in the episode where Scooter got hired because his uncle owned the theater).

It's been awhile since I read the page for Muppet Theater at Muppet Wiki, but I believe that page said that it was first referred to as the Muppet Theater in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. Is this true? I could have sworn that I knew it was called The Muppet Theater long before that movie. I certainly thought it was called the Muppet Theater back in 1994 or 1995, a few years before I even got the internet. Was it ever called the Muppet Theater on The Muppet Show, or possibly in a storybook?

Teheheman

Reaction score
Maybe Benny died and left the theater to JP. That would explain the Memorial part. Didn't JP die and leave the theater to the Muppets though? I could be wrong, but I thought that was what happened in one of the prior movies. Wasn't Benny in TMTM? I know that they were looking to take their show to Broadway, I thought that was the name of the father that whats his name used to get them. I haven't seen these movies ina while, so I could be wrong.

Daniel

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
Wasn't Benny in TMTM? I know that they were looking to take their show to Broadway, I thought that was the name of the father that whats his name used to get them. I haven't seen these movies ina while, so I could be wrong.
His name was Bernard Crawford, so it doesn't work. MTM should be considered out of continuity with TMS anyway, so... :smirk: