Question about the release of "The Lorax" in March 2012

salemfan

Reaction score
I have heard there is going to be a new movie of the Dr. Seuss book "The Lorax." I have also heard they will show the Once-Ler's face, but will the Once-Ler still be shown smoking cigars as he was in the 1971 TV special?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than Danny Devito playing the Lorax, I really don't see anything appealing about it.

Really... Danny Devito should be knighted or something. So much talent in such a small stature.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This has already been said so many times, heh, but remakes are just consistently bad, appeal to the lowest common denominator and take all the attention away from the originals which are ten times better than any remake can ever hope to be.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This has already been said so many times, heh, but remakes are just consistently bad, appeal to the lowest common denominator and take all the attention away from the originals which are ten times better than any remake can ever hope to be.
I love you heralde. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Aw right back at ya! :wink: Lol. Honestly the only remake that ever really worked to me was the Brady Bunch because they took it in a more satirical direction.
I think just about everyone felt that way, and let's take a look at what made it work as well:

When you've got modern remakes of franchises that were popular decades ago, the number one thing that people try to do is change the character's personalities to the point where they're not quite the same characters, but they feel it's necessary, otherwise the characters "won't appeal to today's audiences" (I wonder if people ever got over Simon growling at the maid)... but with the Brady Bunch on the other hand... they were EXACTLY the same, and the movies actually exploited that fact in a world consumed by gangs, drugs, people using big bulky cellphones and laptops, and drinking giant cups of coffee, etc. They even stated the obvious in the movies as well...

"The Bradys sure are twisted"
"Marcia is such a retro wannabe"
"Mike, your designs are... from another time..."
"Greg's folks must've done some serious drugs in the 70s"

I could go on, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I think they recognized that people enjoy nit picking and good naturedly ridiculing TV shows they enjoyed as a kid.

The first Scooby Doo movie did that occasionally and it did work. But more often then not the plot got in the way, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Whats with this sudden trend of making Dr Suess books into movies?