question about Playsoup DVD

biblebetty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been looking at a DVD called "From Sketch to Show: Patterning a Puppet" from a website called Playsoup. has anyone every brought this DVD or seen it. is it good? would you recommend it? I'v seen their puppets and they are nice. I'd like to get both DVDs but I don't want to spend a lot of money ($90.00:eek: ) and find out the DVDs are not a real help. what do you guys think?

Teenager's

Reaction score
It does talk about the playsoup video....you just have to read farther down. Here's what it asks.

Teenager's
"I'd like to hear about the Dave Privett video....I'd like to see how he does patterns etc...but I never have the money to spend on his video. Has anyone got it?"

-Jinx
"The Dave Privett video is great too. The pattern-making is really quite ingenious and very thorough. I'd call it a must-have for people who really know what the puppet must look like in advance, and are able to sketch those ideas. (As opposed, say, to the "Nip and Tuck" method from Grey Seal, which is more free-form.) It's not going to be a fast way to make a puppet, but it certainly is going to be accurate!"

Jinx

Reaction score
Just for added clarity, the Dave Privett video is the Playsoup DVD.I found the information given to be of high value, and not a redundancy of anything I've seen anywhere else. Certainly well-worth the price paid!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I purchased both and learned lots from them- however, I found the second one to be more informative and "indepth". Overall I give both a 10 outta 10 for content. I know this doesn't help since you have already got them butfor thos4e out there thinking about it- I recommend it.

biblebetty

Reaction score
thank-you creaturework I really appreciate your input. That really makes me feel comfortable about paying that much money for two DVD's.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hey there Bible Betty,

I purchased both DVDs as well and for me they were a wealth of information.

Yes, I can understand that the first DVD feels like there isn't as much information being given than the second. However, the first DVD in the series is solely about taking the character you've doodled and turning it into a working foam patterened puppet. The second is about all the "fun stuff" you'll get to build and make, the features, the fabric skin, deciding on hair, etc.

David's method is a little involved in regards to how you will create your pattern pieces to create the head and body of your puppet, and it may not make sense at first (I had to watch the DVD a few times make sure I was understanding what was being taught), but it will click. David explain's step by step what is involved for making the pattern and then assembling your pieces into your character. Also, David just happens to be a very nice man who is interested in the folks who purchase his DVDs to keep in touch with him and send him any questions they may have.

This recomendation is coming from a freelance builder who has been building for about 5 years now, and I was very impressed. For some of the things that David shows, it was like tumblers turning in a lock, a lot of "AH HA! So THAT'S how you can do that!" momments.

biblebetty

Reaction score
well I got both DVDs (I sugguest you get both) and Boy i highly recomend paying the money. I learned soooo much, I'm really glad i got it and thank-you all for helping me make my decision. I'm going to use these technics on a puppet my daughter asked me to make for her. when i finish i will post pic. thanks again everyone your guys are great.