Question about Playhouse Videos' Back Covers

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what pictures were on the back covers of the playhouse Muppet Show compilation videos from 1985?

here are what pictures I do know were included: (all from left to right)
The Muppet Revue: Miss Piggy and the pigs on motorcycles (from "i get around"), Mahna Mahna in front of a blue background, and Miss Piggy and other pigs from "staying alive".
Rock Music With The Muppets: Floyd and Zoot, Fletcherbird, and Animal behind his drum kit (note: I can't remember if this is left to right ot right to left).
Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff: the red Hugga Wugga creature, Bunsen wearing an exploding hat in muppet labs, and the female koozebanian creature.
Muppet Moments: three or four birds, Lenny The Lizard seeing that he has Big Vs nose in his mouth, and the snerfs (even though they weren't in this video).

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
Rowlf's Rhapsodies: Jug band members in "Mississippi Mud", Rowlf as Sherlock Holmes with Baskerville as Watson, and a windmill creature from "Windmills of your Mind".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
TotallySpiesFan said:
Rowlf's Rhapsodies: Jug band members in "Mississippi Mud", Rowlf as Sherlock Holmes with Baskerville as Watson, and a windmill creature from "Windmills of your Mind".
Does that mean that the sherlock holmes sketch and the windmills of your mind are both on this video? After all, Muppet Moments had a picture of the snerfs on the back even though they weren't in it (maybe a sketch with them was planned to be included but was taken out at the last minute). I do know that Mississippi Mud was included.

Stulz

Reaction score
no Holmes..

The sherlock holmes sketch is not included, but the windmills of your mind is.

I always wonderd where that pic came from and why they used it ...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
bump

I thought I would bump this thread back up just in case people who know what pictures are on the other back covers missed this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Were there any other videos where the back covers had a picture from a sketch that wasn't included in that particular video? Were the Sherlock Holmes sketch and In A Little swedish Town (with the snerfs) included in any of the Playhouse videos? If they were, then maybe the people who worked on the packaging made a mistake. Or maybe those sketches were meant to be on the videos but were cut after the packaging was completed.

The picture of the Birds wasn't actually from the "Take a Chance on Me" sketch, which was in Muppet Moments. I think that was just a random photo of the birds, possibly meant for publicity purposes. I don't think it was from any particular sketch (but I may be wrong).

Stulz

Reaction score
Looking at that image of Floyd and Zoot (which I previously thought was from one of the musician jokes sketches), I wonder if that's actually an image from The Electric Mayhem's first meetign with Kermit and Fozzie, only reversed.
Yes that image is from The Muppet Movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been googling most of the playhouse titles, and looking at amazon.com pages (seems used copies typically run for 23-49 dollars, which I'm sort of surprised by, but then again, I feel they truly are treasures... But then I saw that amazon has one copy of Muppet Moments for 189 dollars... What the...?), and found an image from the back cover of Muppet Weird Stuff. I haven't seen that in years. Memories...

But something has occurred to me. I assume that all of the images on the back covers were taken during shooting of the sketches, as opposed to being still images (did Henson have special photos taken of every Muppet Show sketch?), and they would have been taken during the 1970s, long before the videos were planned. And I assume the cover images were taken especially for the videos. One thing I find interesting is that while many of the front covers have been reused many times (especially the Gonzo portion of the Muppet Weird Stuff cover), it seems rare for the back cover images to have been used elsewhere (that I've seen). I've seen the back covers for many international releases (why are the international back covers more common to find online?), and in cases of the videos I've seen it seems they usually used at least one image from the back of the american video boxes, but otherwise they seem rare (the main exception being the image of Mahna Mahna on the back cover of The Muppet Revue, which I've seen used many times, including the cover of a Mahna Mahna single). Weird.