Question about making puppets

Lab Rat

Reaction score
I dont use patterns i just make the puppets up as i go along the dragon is made from reticulated foam and covered in antron fleece he has a flexible plastic mouthplate and piano wire arm rods.

Lab Rat

Reaction score
The nostrils were done by cutting holes in the foam skull putting glue in them then pushing the fleece into the glue when it dried i painted some shading into them with acrylic paint i only lightly shaved the fleece down the seem on the face after i'd scraped it with a pin.

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
did you carve the head from a solid piece of foam, or use heets glued together using rubber cement?

Lab Rat

Reaction score
the head and body are made from 3/4 inch foam sheets glued together with contact glue

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
ive been asking a lot of questions, so i will ask a few this time.
what are the eyes made of ? what was the approx cost to make this? do you have any more pictures? how did you make the head (in detail)
what is a plastic mouth plate?
:confused:

Onath

Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks for giving a puppet a 5 o'clock shadow or some scruff? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Onath

Reaction score
puppet workshop

Looking for stuff that is crucial to every puppet shop?

Stuff I have in my shop is a scrap bin, for all the little pieces great for eyelids hair, and eyebrows.

I have a dust vac for cleaning up all the little bits of fur that appears when shaving and trimming the puppets.

So, what I'm looking for is stuff that is vital to your shop that you use everyday. If you feel inclined please throw up a list of stuff that should be in every puppet workshop.

thanks,
Onath:smile:

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks for giving a puppet a 5 o'clock shadow or some scruff? Any help would be greatly appreciated
If the puppet's "skin" is foam, airbrushing works nicely. You could also airbrush a five o'clock on a fleece covered puppet, but for the best results, I'd work the shadow into the pattern and use a slightly darker colored fleece for the "shadow" areas - for a Fred Flintstone effect.