Puppetry Auditions in NYC

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Attention all aspiring puppeteers in the New York/Tri-State area.

On May 23, 24, and 25, 2005, there will be auditions held for an upcoming children's television pilot entitled "COZMOTV". Puppeteers in all forms will be required (hand/rod, hand/glove, full body, bunraku and other/custom). Puppeteers wishing to audition should bring their own props (puppets) and should contact the production company J-Squared Productions, Inc. care of James M. Britt at cozmotv@yahoo.com to be scheduled.

No voice talent is necessary, but the auditions are also being held for CHARACTER VOICE ACTORS and COMEDIANS/IMPERSONATORS for voice dubbing. Puppeteers need not have voice over ability, as the audio will be pre-recorded, and the puppetry lip-synced. For in-depth character attributes, contact the above e-mail address.

Thank you.

James M. Britt
J-Squared Productions, Inc.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Keeping my posting fresh.

I replied to this thread to keep my AUDITIONS posting freash.

If anypone has any questions, please feel free to contact me either here or at cozmotv@yahoo.com

Thank you.

-James

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Handy Andy said:
Puppeteers need not have voice over ability, as the audio will be pre-recorded, and the puppetry lip-synced. For in-depth character attributes, contact the above e-mail address.
OK, so I am going to be the wise acre who asks the big question...why on earth would you prerecord dialogue for television? :confused:

Pre-recorded tracks rob a performance of it's spontaneity and eliminates the director's ability to improvise with staging/delivery on the set. It's better to record the audio live with the puppeteers doing the voices and then loop it in post if you want to make voice changes. That's the way most of the good shows (BITBBH, Sesame, Between the Lions, etc.) do it.

There's only a couple of reasons to use tracks:

1. Musical numbers
2. Something conceptually unique like Crank Yankers (it would be impossible to know how people would respond to the crank calls in advance)
3. Inexperienced producers that don't ask anyone experienced how puppet shows should be shot.
4. Arrogant producers that refuse to listen to the advice to the experienced people they hire.​
The few TV shows that get produced this way rarely look as good, performance wise, as the shows that don't. Find good puppeteers, let `em go nuts and then change the voices afterwards if they're not appropriate.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Well......

Hey... thanks for your post. It wasn't sarcastic or intrusive or even a little insulting to a project you know nothing about. That was really great of you, Buck Beaver. Thanks for that.

I am pre-recording the vocals because....

A) I have not yet met nearly any puppeteers that can do both the voices I am looking for and operate a puppet at the same time. I am seeking impersonators, as well. How many impersonators do you know that can puppeteer?

B) I am seeking to also book major talent for certain roles who would not normally WANT to operate a puppet.

C) Some of the puppets I am using will be quite intricate in their operation. I do not want the fact that they have to do extraordinary voices at the same time to get in their way. They are now able to focus ONLY on puppeteering.

D) Crank Yankers does do it that way, and that, from a puppeteering stand point, is a technically creative show.

E) We are an independent production company, and this will be our first production, and from my stand point, being an "inexperienced producer" and all.... it just made sense to me. It saves money, it quickens production and studio time. It lets me focus on each individual character at a time. Oh, and by the way, we are also integrating ANIMATION into this show, so it was necessary anyway. If you had been polite and just asked the question without being overly arrogant in your vast knowledge of puppetry, perhaps you would have found this out in a kindler, gentler manner. Which brings me to my last reason for pre-recording audio....

F) Because I am the producer, and I want to.

When you produce your own show, you may handle the audio however you like.

I dismiss your post as rude and unnecessary. You could have e-mailed me your question privately, my e-mail address was plainly stated in the post. Do me a favor.... don't use it now.

With as little quality puppet productions currently on television, you would think that a fan of puppetry would find a way to support up and coming projects, regardless of how they decide to run their production.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Handy Andy said:
Hey... thanks for your post. It wasn't sarcastic or intrusive or even a little insulting to a project you know nothing about.
See now that's sarcasm. :wink:

Seriously though Andy, my post was intended in a light hearted manner and I was speaking generally. I've been posting here for years and I don't think I've ever purposely posted anything that was meant to be negative or insulting about a specific person. I don't apologise for having strong opinions about how to shoot puppets, but you're obviously offended and I'm sincerely sorry for that.

My comments about producers were referring generally to what happens in the `biz (people who have done a lot of projects will back me up on this) and "inexperienced" should really be replaced with "not completely familiar with the technical demands of puppetry." The kinds of problems that creep up in that situation happen on almost any production - Team America was $40 million movie and a nightmare.

I've worked on a lot of independent projects over the years and with few exceptions they always suggest pre-recorded tracks at some point during preproduction for all of the reasons you mentioned, which are perfectly valid. I don't take issue with any of them ("stunt" casting with the voice is a great idea!). My point is just that voice tracks should be locked in after shooting. That's simply my opinion and everyone is welcome to take it or leave it.

I would be puzzled if you couldn't find a crew of amazing puppeteers who do voice and manipulation in NYC though. You're definately shooting in the right city; the best talent in the world works in New York.

Good luck with the project, I'm sure everyone here would love to know more about it.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Alllllright.

Buck Beaver...

I just wanted to post an open audition for puppeteers.

I didn't want to start a thread, and then a whole thing.

If you were not trying to rile me, then apologies all around. I guess I fell into the typical "guy reads something over the internet and gets crazed" scenario. Like "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back"... except I didn't fly to Toronto... yet.

And to answer your question, No.... I have not met many puppeteers here in NYC. A small handful at best. Perhaps I am posting in the wrong forums (here and Mandy.com). I had contemplated POA......

Again.... sorry for the retaliation. Perhaps we should just get these last few posts removed, to save face?

And by the way... I do have a very talented and experienced person who has been involved in many puppet productions, and I will absolutely be relying on him, however, if he is going to show me the proper way to produce a puppet show of this nature, he is going to have to show me how to do it with pre-recorded audio, because this show demands it. He's talented, and I'm sure he will find a creative way to make it work.

-Jim