Puppeteers Who Have Beautiful Singing Voices

ploobis

Reaction score
Which puppeteers do you think have beautiful singing voices?

Jim Henson

Frank Oz

Jerry Nelson

Richard Hunt

Dave Goelz

Steve Whitmire

Kevin Clash

Bill Barretta

I was amazed by Frank Oz's singing for the song "Sweet Gingerbread Man" from the Don Knotts episode of The Muppet Show.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I always thought Steve Whitmire had one of the best singing voices. Gotta give Frank Oz credit for the Piggy musical numbers tho. He has a pretty rough voice when he speaks normally but manages to really soften it when performing Piggy. His throat must be raw after a long Piggy number.

ploobis

Reaction score
I always loved the Fraggle songs by Gobo & Wembley!

Jerry Nelson & Steve Whitmire do great harmony. I always love hearing them sing "Wemblin' Fool"

:smirk:

BEAR

Reaction score
Honestly? They all do in my opinion. Sure some have more technique than others, but they have all shined. Here's my list of when each is at their best:

Jim Henson--anytime Ernie sings a ballad.
Frank Oz--Miss Piggy (obviously)
Jerry Nelson--probably one of the better vocalists. I always think he sounds good, especially as Gobo or Floyd.
Richard Hunt--same as Nelson. His voice as Scooter is gorgeous. He has kind of a John Denver quality in his voice.
Dave Goelz--not the best singer (and I think he used to be very insecure singing), but when he sings "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" as Gonzo it sends goosebumps all over me. His performances as Boober and Rugby have had similar effects because he is so emotionally connected to what he is singing about always. If he isn't the best singer, he is definitely one the best actors and that outshines anyway.
Steve Whitmire--He has done well with Ernie and Kermit.
Kevin Clash--He knows how to rock it as Hoots.
Bill Baretta--well...he is Johnny Fiama after all.

Will add another...
Carroll Spinney--wonderful. His Big Bird voice is so clear and pure. Childlike but sweet.

ploobis

Reaction score
I really love the "Sixty Seconds Got Together" song by The Gills Brothers!

That was a great song sung by Jim Henson, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt & Steve Whitmire! There singing voices are very collective.

ploobis

Reaction score
Honestly? They all do in my opinion. Sure some have more technique than others, but they have all shined. Here's my list of when each is at their best:

Jim Henson--anytime Ernie sings a ballad.
Frank Oz--Miss Piggy (obviously)
Jerry Nelson--probably one of the better vocalists. I always think he sounds good, especially as Gobo or Floyd.
Richard Hunt--same as Nelson. His voice as Scooter is gorgeous. He has kind of a John Denver quality in his voice.
Dave Goelz--not the best singer (and I think he used to be very insecure singing), but when he sings "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" as Gonzo it sends goosebumps all over me. His performances as Boober and Rugby have had similar effects because he is so emotionally connected to what he is singing about always. If he isn't the best singer, he is definitely one the best actors and that outshines anyway.
Steve Whitmire--He has done well with Ernie and Kermit.
Kevin Clash--He knows how to rock it as Hoots.
Bill Baretta--well...he is Johnny Fiama after all.

Will add another...
Carroll Spinney--wonderful. His Big Bird voice is so clear and pure. Childlike but sweet.
Yeah, I love it when Dave Goelz sings "I'm Going To Go Back There Some Day" as Gonzo!

I feel that Steve Whitmire did his best singing with Wembley!

It's a shame that Richard Hunt didn't get to have Wayne finish the song "It's Only A Paper Moon".

I love Jim Henson's singing in the song "Pachalafaka".

Jerry Nelson did the best songs with Floyd, Robin and Gobo!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
They're all exceptional, one way or another.

Richard Hunt's my favorite; I've always thought Scooter has a beautiful voice...of all the verses in "Saying Goodbye," it's always Scooter's verse that tugs the most at my heartstrings. And we also need to consider Janice, Beaker, Don Music and Junior Gorg...
Karen Prell's a force to be reckoned with when she's playing Red. All the fast-paced vocal acrobatics and tongue-twisters...
Jerry Nelson's a superb all-round singer, especially with Floyd, Robin and Gobo...and then there are all the one-shot characters he's done in all the shows.
Louise Gold's got a knockout alto - listen to her as one of the masks in "Turn the World Around," and in that one number with the Gills Brothers.
I best know Jim Henson for his roles as Kermit and Dr. Teeth - it's hard not to sympathize with Kermit when he sings "It's Not Easy Being Green," but I do remember some knockout performances as Ernie and Guy Smiley. And don't forget Cantus.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think the amazing thing about Jerry his his vocal ranges when he sings! Whether it Robin or Pa Gorg, he has an incredible singing range.