Puppeteers who Can't Sing

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I realize that as a puppeteer, it certainly helps to be able to sing, since in puppetry, there are a lot of musical sketches, and "show-stopping numbers".

However, singing is something I simply cannot do, so I was just wondering if there are other puppeteers out there who can't sing either, and if so, how do you deal with it?

biblebetty

Reaction score
I can sing, but in my shows I don't. we use songs from drifferent web sites (they sell kids cds)to do the singing for us. it takes me a while to go thru all the songs and match them to a script.

wes

Reaction score
I can't sing but I do it any way! most of the time the audience dosen't care they came to see a puppet show, no a singing show. If you sing baddly, the audience will chalk it up as funny.

And I have people tell me that they like it when the puppet sings (even thou I sound horrable). My wife told me tha it was weird that when I sing I'm off and out of tune but when I sing through my puppets as a charactor it aounds ok.

biblebetty

Reaction score
u know i never thought of it that way. I'm going to try it.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Jim Henson was like that during Sam & Friends up to the late 60's or early 70's with the whole concept of lip-synching to records.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jim Henson was like that during Sam & Friends up to the late 60's or early 70's with the whole concept of lip-synching to records.
Good practice in two ways...

1. It gives the puppet a chance to LOOK like it's singing, and...
2. It's good practice to improve your puppet's physical speaking ability.
wes said:
I can't sing but I do it any way! most of the time the audience dosen't care they came to see a puppet show, no a singing show. If you sing baddly, the audience will chalk it up as funny.

And I have people tell me that they like it when the puppet sings (even thou I sound horrable). My wife told me tha it was weird that when I sing I'm off and out of tune but when I sing through my puppets as a charactor it aounds ok.
I see where you're coming from, and that's fine, but for me, if my puppet(s) is(are) going to sing, then I want it to look AND sound nice.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that Steve Whitmire wasn't comfortable singing at first, but grew into his own unique voice and learned to use it to his advantage.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Good practice in two ways...

1. It gives the puppet a chance to LOOK like it's singing, and...
2. It's good practice to improve your puppet's physical speaking ability.
I see exactly what you mean! I do that alot to improve the timing on the puppets lip movements. thanks for the tip. :super: :smile: :wink:

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Wes and others,

I think the whole "I can't sing as me, but I can in my puppet voice" is a 'control' question. When most people are casually singing, they're not concentrating on any sort of vocal quality--they're just singing for the joy of it or whatever. In character, you are already thinking about how to make your voice produce a particular tonal quality, pitch, etc. When you sing as a puppet, singing voice is just one more layer to add.--I hope that made sense. :big_grin:

wes

Reaction score
Wes and others,

I think the whole "I can't sing as me, but I can in my puppet voice" is a 'control' question. When most people are casually singing, they're not concentrating on any sort of vocal quality--they're just singing for the joy of it or whatever. In character, you are already thinking about how to make your voice produce a particular tonal quality, pitch, etc. When you sing as a puppet, singing voice is just one more layer to add.--I hope that made sense. :big_grin:
So subconsciencely we are singing good and don't realize, Wow I see it!