Puppet Pattern Sale

puppetsmith

Reaction score
The Forma Trio
For a limited time, Project Puppet will be offering The Forma Trio at a very special introductory price! The Forma Trio brings together all three Forma Series pattern kits - The Rotondo, The Punto, and The Ovale. This is a great starter kit for an amateur puppet builder who is concerned with the quality and variety of his puppet characters. For professional puppet builders, The Forma Trio is an easy way to add to your repertoire.

What's Next?
Many have asked what's next at Project Puppet. We have been working on several different things that we feel you will really enjoy. Here's a few:

Add-on Patterns and Instructions for the Forma Series
We are currently working on patterns and instructions for covering your Forma Series puppets with antron fleece. The kits will, of course, include full-size patterns, tips on dying the fleece, two methods of stitching the fleece for maximum seam coverage, and tips on fleece hands and facial features.

Also in the works are add-on patterns and instructions for an assortment of eyes, ears, and noses that can be used for your final characters.

New Series
What about new series? Not only are we planning new series, but new series at different skill levels. Not that the Forma Series patterns are difficult, but they do require several days to put a puppet together properly. For those who would rather spend a Saturday or an afternoon building a puppet, we will be releasing pattern series that require less time to complete. Be on the lookout for a Monster series in upcoming months!

MGov

Reaction score
I've been working with the Rotondo pattern and I think it's great!

It's pretty easy to follow. the only thing that has kept me from finishing it up has been a complete lack of free time. But with a little planning ahead, you could easily have a finished puppet over the weekend. And the pattern is easy to build on. With a little creativity, you can use the same pattern and make two very different looking puppets.

I had never worked with reticulated foam before and now I won't work with anything but. The patterns are a great way to start with the foam without felling like you might be wasting your money experimenting with the good stuff.

As soon as I have pictures, I'll post them.

Blink

Reaction score
I am a puppet builder, and I have purchased these patterns myself. I must say that anyone who is starting out, or even any more advanced builders who want to experiment with other techniques for building, should definately consider buying them.

I haven't had a chance to use the patterns yet, but when I do, I will post pictures as well. Great price for all three by the way!

I look forward to the additional products from Project Puppet.

***Boy does that ever sound like an infomercial.***

Seriously though, the patterns are well put together, very professional, easy to understand and the end products speak for themselves (here)

keithallison

Reaction score
I wish that there were more photos of the puppets on the project puppet site.. or videos. I want to buy a pattern from them but am unsure about what for instance the punto looks like wihtout the mustache and hair and hat... and I'd like to see something other than a monkey done in the rotondo
Just my thoughts of course...

oh... hi! new dude on the block here....

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hi keithallison! Welcome to MC. The drawings of the head shapes on the respective pattern pages are pretty true to form. Here are some extra pictures of the Punto Pattern head without the features. Hope that helps.

As far as seeing more puppets made with the patterns, I want that too! :smile:Hopefully the readers of this thread who have purchased one or more of our patterns and have finished puppet characters will send pictures to be posted in the Project Puppet Gallery!

Thanks for the positive comments Fozzie, MGov, and Blink. I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished puppets! Thanks again.

keithallison

Reaction score
thanks Bezalel.. That's helpful indeed!

I've made a bunch of those 'ministry style' puppets before but I'm not much of a sew meister... I'd like to try out the Scott foam approach. Just out of general curiosity, is the carved scott foam the method by which Sam the Eagle is made? seems so to me.. but what the heck do i know?

puppetsmith

Reaction score
The patterns in the Forma Series really require minimal sewing.

Sam the Eagle, I believe, is patterned sheet foam. In the Muppet Shows, the foam was left uncovered. In some later movies (I think Muppet Treasure Island) Sam's head was covered with fleece.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Does this sale include enough scott foam for all three patterns?

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Technically, yes, you could finagle 3 full heads and all the foam hands out of the two sheets of foam. However, I wouldn't recommend it. It would require a "creative" pattern layout, plus it would leave very little foam left for the characters' features.

Really, how far you can "stretch" the foam depends on the characters you are building. For example Rupert and Leo were built from one 16x36 sheet of foam. Rupert was made as outlined in the Rotondo Pattern instructions, with no deviation. For Leo, however, half of his head was to be covered with fur. So for that hidden part we replaced the reticulated foam with upholstery foam. This splicing can be done while the pattern is flat, so the head construction steps remain the same.

I hope that makes sense. If not let me know and I'll take another shot at explaining it.