1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Preliminary Thoughts on Master Replica's Fozzie Bear

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by Kevin Knight, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Kevin Knight

Kevin Knight New Member

I just wanted to start a thread on Fozzie to get everyone's thoughts and concerns on the forthcoming Fozzie replica. I for one cannot wait for it to become available. His size, the posability next to Kermit, the materials being used etc. I imagine getting Fozzie right will be as easy as Kermit once the nose and eyes are set for production. I actually am surprised at the mentioned prices as for Kermit, Animal and Gonzo they've been able to use the same amount of materials for packaging. His box will be huge! PLUS, guys think about this.... how easy it will be to get a plastic banana and rubber chicken for accesories! Hope you folks are interested in talking bout this as much as I am. But I know let's deal with getting gonzo! I hear ya!

Kevin
  2. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Here's what I think is so great about Terry's protos that is wrong with the REAL posers being used. The bottom jaw is set back slightly, so that when his mouth is closed, his top lip sticks out more than his bottom lip. To me, it gives him that "Fozzie" look that the professional posers are missing!

:p
  3. Luke

Luke Active Member

I cannot wait for Fozzie, that proto is beeeeeautiful, i hope so much they manage to keep it EXACTLY like that in the actual replica, and the price doesn't bother me, i want an identical replica and am prepared to pay what it takes for them to do that. Anything else would be an injustice to da Fozz!
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

How the heck are they gonna ship the bear? That's what I'm curious about. Dude is huuuuge. And you're so right about the mouth, WOErnie. The bear should sell like the frog.
  5. Ignohippo

Ignohippo Member

Absolutely! The slight overbite on Terry's Fozzie is a big part of the likeness. Being able to move Animal's bottom jaw from side to side (and close his mouth) is another example of how important it is to the likeness that they have some kind of articulation in their jaws/mouths.

I can't tell you how excited I am about Fozzie! If MR can replicate Terry's proto it will be the greatest thing ever. My only concern is that Terry's Gonzo was spot on also, so who knows what he will look like when he comes from China. As long as they keep his overbite, don't over-stuff him, and keep his face in proportion of Terry's proto, we should be okay.

As far as the price, my hopes are that Fozzie will stay well under the $500 range – shipped. Since there aren't any individual hair applications, accessories, or clothing (besides the scarf and hat), I hope that he will be close to Animal's price even though he's quite a bit bigger. I would think that Animal would have been one of the costliest Muppets to produce.
  6. Rowlfharris

Rowlfharris New Member

The only thing that might be possible to muck up in the final product would be the mouth.

Lets hope they don't.

The reason is, that Fozzie has a 'shaped tongue' (similar to Animals), so if they tried putting in a firm rubber casting like they did with the final Animal, they would run into the same problems with being able to close his mouth.

Although Terry's proto looks absolutely perfect, remember that so did Gonzo, and there was no hint of Animal’s mouth having the limits that it ended up with.

Fozzie's mouth needs a reasonably firm mouth plate, so that will mean to close it they need either a soft compressible material for the tongue (like foam) or designing the mouth plates in such a way that there is space for the tongue to allow closure.

I would rather that the form of his tongue be compromised in some way, than lose the ability to completely close Fozzie’s mouth.
  7. Kevin Knight

Kevin Knight New Member

Price, heck because of materials alone, I would expect at the least a 499. price tag. You guys are right about Terry's proto. For that I would gladly pay the possibility of 500. But Piggy? Wow between gown, gloves, faux ring, and hair, she may cost even more! Look at the prices MR put down for the Millenium Falcon! The higher price keeps it more exclusive so that not just anyone is buying. Which is good for us when you look at it that way. We will treat these replicas with care, dignity, and a treasure. The prices kinda reflect true collectors. But I digress. How many differences were there in Fozzie's hat and scarf if any?

open and closed mouth
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/sdcc07_mr_06.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/MR2BFozzie2BHead.jpg

Now is this the proto with hat?
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/1520518073_8ec35b912b.jpg

size comparison
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/sdcc07_mr_05.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/MR1.jpg

So what are we talking about here a four and a half foot bear? Heck my mother is only 4' 7"! Let's think about it this way. Kermit's box was 2 and a half feet tall! How big of a box are we talking about here? LOL

Kevin
  8. Was Once Ernie

Fozzie is 44" tall. Somehow Terry was able to find a box to ship him in, but I agree... it will be much more expensive to ship him than the others.

9. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

I am so looking forward to this sping when they put his preorder up! :o
  10. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

He's gonna be soooo expensive lol
  11. MuppetCaper

I'm just going to use my tax return to get him hehehe.
  12. Kevin Knight

Kevin Knight New Member

Ya know with the size of :o and :mad: (crosses fingers) some of us are going to need a whole room for them! For those that have dedicated muppet collectible rooms, I mean ANOTHER ROOM! LOL I just don't know how we're all going to protect them and preserve them. Other than leaving them MIB. Building a glass case would take an entire wall, and who'sd wife is going to give the go ahead? (laugh ladies) I'm just looking forward to posing Kermit and Fozzie like this

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/231356466_2dd29735ae_o.jpg

For some reason that photo just envokes the words teamwork, and best friends to me. Like Ernie and Bert, Bird and Snuffy, etc. Amazing that Gonzo was considered Kermit's Best Man at the wedding!

Back on track....
    I think with Fozzies size it's gonna take one **** of a stand to make him stand on his own. Imagine thatsize when thinking bout packaging!

But alas, what I was saying before about packaging materials... it will be the same materials and tooling for Piggy.
  13. Was Once Ernie

Terry's protoype Fozzie stands on his own if you balance him properly.

14. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think this is an interesting point so wanted to highlight it, just how are people planning to preserve these? I would have thought the ultimate best case scenario would be to take them out of the packaging and re-package them in a large airtight plastic container and keep out of sunlight. However then your replica may get depressed, claustraphobic and owners may also get withdrawal syptoms. Having them on permanent display the ideal option may well be to have some kinda perspex display case made from anti glare plastic - though it may cost as much as the poser itself. I guess while a lot of people will have them freely on display it's probably not a good idea to do that for years on end as nobody really knows for sure how the materials on these will stand the test of time, not even Master Replicas.

The other thing is maybe there is a routine people could do to keep them nice and maintained. I don't mean have them do a workout DVD once a month but i'm sure the Muppeteers must do stuff to keep their puppets nice. Maybe they are sprayed with something special to keep them looking nice, or brushed with a certain type of brush? All this is gonna help the lifetime of these.
  15. Kevin Knight

Kevin Knight New Member

One other question I pose (no pun intended) is do we think the hat will be permanantly attached? or even sewn on? Same with scarf.(btw does anybody remember Terry's Muppet central username? Iwant to go back and see what he's talked about.

Kevin
  16. Luke

Luke Active Member

Terry is Butchcat
  17. Was Once Ernie

I would expect the hat and scarf NOT to be sewn on. I would be very disappointed if they were.

18. Bear Man

Bear Man Member

I'd be really surprised if the hat was, and it would probably be quite easy to remove even if it was. The scarf on the real puppet covers up the join between the head and the body, right? So it could conceivably be sewn on to the poser, even if just to keep the bow in order.
  19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Animal's rope is tied to his pants, but the pants to come off. Not that I've tried really! His shirt also can be removed. MR wouldn't do something inconsistent with Fozzie. I'm expecting Gonzo to also be changeable. :concern:
  20. MuppetCaper

When I made photo's of Animal and Kermit, I noticed that Animals shirt ties where sewn . I could not untie them due to the string around them. So what I had to do is slip the shirt off over his pants to take it off. I imagine that you can get the string off to untie the shirt, I just never wanted to do that. When I put the shirt back on, I had to take the pants off and he was nekkid, to put the shirt back on then put his pants back on again. WOW it was too much work. :halo: