Pre-Order "Henson's Place: The Man Behind The Muppets" on DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The rare special "Henson's Place: The Man Behind The Muppets" will arrive on DVD for the first time on Tuesday August 3. Here are all the details on this anticipated release. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Since most of us will be getting "Henson's Place: The Man Behind The Muppets", we'd like to mention that if you order the Henson's Place DVD from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD with a low-price guarantee. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Oh wow!:flirt: (I just typed that and then realized how much that sounded like Janice so I had to add the smiley. lol)

That is indeed pretty awesome! Lionsgate has just been inundating us with Jim Henson stuff all of a sudden! Cool!
It's been a long time since I've seen the 1984 "Henson's Place" PBS documentary, but from what I recall, it has some pretty good stuff on there. Very unexpected, but very welcome nonetheless. I'm just hoping with this splurge on all things Henson that we might actually get the rest of The Jim Henson Hour released and maybe really rare stuff like Little Muppet Monsters and Muppet Babies eventually. (Okay, I don't know where the rights cross paths here, so some of this may not be Lionsgate's call.) But in general, it's great to see so much Muppet stuff coming out! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooree!:excited:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Great to see this is getting a release, and a great cover too.

I already have it on DVD though from the European Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock DVD's, its a bonus feature. Hope this one has been cleaned up better though! Its a great show.

Wonder what bonuses will be on this? Great to see Kermit and Piggy on the cover too, maybe we can hope for more cross over stuff released in the future................

Chris

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oooh! Interesting. It makes me happy to see that Disney is apparently playing friendly with Henson Co for this. Let's hope it leads to other things.

Reaction score
This had to have been a nightmare to clear, since Disney, Sesame Workshop and Sony owned Muppets are all on the cover. It probably would have been easier to just do a floating head of Jim.

I wonder what this means for the Christmas and Tales From Muppetland productions that feature Kermit. If we could get those uncut, I'd be very happy.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
This is awesome! Seeing the cover alone made my jaw drop. Seeing all these properties together in 2010 is just incredible. Hopefully, this means that we could see re-releases of Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy with the Frog intact come Christmastime and maybe Muppet Family Christmas this year or next.

Geez, what obscure Muppet title could Disney release that would top LionsGate's releases? :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yup. Exclusive interviews with Jim, Frank Oz, Jane Henson... and I think Dave Lazer and Lew Grade are in it too.

The whole special opens with a funny bit between Jim Henson and Big Bird. :wisdom:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is real exciting and unexpected news! I saw this on youtube a few years ago, and I forget just about every clip that appears (I should probably be punished for my irresponsibility).

It's interesting that Elmo appears on the cover. I don't believe he appears in any of the clips. And this was made around the time he became a main character, possibly before Kevin Clash took over.

It's also interesting how tv shows on dvd says that a lot of Henson documentaries have been released lately... Say what? I don't think any Henson documentaries have been released as the main program for a DVD. The documentaries for The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth have been released as bonus features since the first DVD releases of those movies almost ten years ago. And Down at Fraggle Rock has been on the Fraggle Rock first season DVD released in 2005. But if any past Henson documentaries have been released on DVD in the past year then I must be living under a rock in a cave or something. And there haven't been any televised Henson documentaries since Disney bought the Muppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.