Power out across East Coast and Canada

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
black out

man, i just turned to the news and i can't believe that the power over parts of the east coast is out because of a power grid that caught on fire. i hope they get the power back up and soon.

ryan

tomahawk

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
man, i just turned to the news and i can't believe that the power over parts of the east coast is out because of a power grid that caught on fire. i hope they get the power back up and soon.

ryan
It wasn't the fire. They don't know what it is right now.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
The power went off here in Erie about an hour ago, but it came back on fairly quickly. I was pretty surprised when I turned the tv on and saw the mess in New York! Apparently in other parts of Erie the power's been on and off all day, so I don't know if ours were related to the big power outage or not.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Okay, it's definitely related. For some reason my house didn't lose power for long, but most of the stores, radio stations, hospitals, etc. have little or no power. Our main street is pretty much shut down. They said that this was caused by the Niagara Mohawk factory going down.

Our TV station has been flooded with phone calls from people asking lots of questions. One person said she thought she remembered Osama bin Laden saying something in a tape once about attacking on September 14; they had to remind the woman that this is August 14. :stick_out_tongue:

It is a mess here, though. People are complaining because they had spent the hour shopping and couldn't cash out because the power was out. The traffic is awful. And here it's about the hottest day we've had all summer; I think it hit 100. So a lot of people are standing around outside because the air conditioners don't work and it's very stuffy inside.
Erin

Mklonstage

Reaction score
Power Outage

I am luckily in a spot in Michigna that has power although go 5 minutes south of me or 10 min north and the people there are not as lucky. I am jsut curious as the power goes back on to hear people's stories. Especially from the muppet fans living in the greater Manhattan area.

Luke

Reaction score
I heard about this and it sounds wierd to me - they had Pres Bush come out and specifically talk about it which makes me think that it wasn't just an ordinary fault of some kind. Y'know they're supposed to have computers and satellites and things now that could wipe out a country's power within seconds. If it was terrorism of some kind, you can bet they won't admit it.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
I saw in the news that they at one point said it was a lightning strike. But that was later ruled out because they said it was not possible.

Last year in late december there were a lightning strike in a powerstation here in Denmark. That caused a blackout from the middle of Jutland up (about 1/3 of the country). So it is possible for a lightning to create a massive blackout.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I have to say, this is one of the most, uh, interesting stories I've heard. Detroit, Cleveland, parts of Canada, and of course New York, just suddenly losing power? Not a tragic story, thankfully, but it was weird seeing Times Square, Empire State Building, Lower Manhattan, and the rest of NYC in the dark. If something weird happens, it's GOTTA happen in New York.

:sing: Blame Canada, Blame Canada :sing:

Couldn't resist.