"Power of the Dark Crystal" feature production launches in Australia

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Exciting news indeed!

:scary:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's great to hear news!

I'm a little confused. Wasn't most of the information in this latest update already confirmed long ago or was that not official then? Any production dates actually mentioned that I missed? :scary:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Hmm. Another announcement? Well.....sorry to say it doesn't make me any more excited. We've all been here already, several times. Until they ACTUALLY START SHOOTING, I could care less.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
An official press release is always good to hear- that helps assure me that this project isn't dead in the water just yet. Hopefully "The Power of the Dark Crystal" will get made soon. And the plotline sounds pretty interesting.:scary:

JMPrater

Reaction score
Yeah, I want to get excited, but I can't. As I've said on IMDB, Henson has cried 'wolf' far too many times for me to get on board AGAIN. I need to see some images, and an official release date and actual consistency on the part of The Henson Company.

The Narrator

Reaction score
Dishearteningly, I'm in the same boat as JM. I'm not going to get excited until this is in the can, edited and has a solid release date.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
As soon as I saw "3-D" I lost all interest. The Dark Crystal" was not a gimmicky movie. It was an art film of huge proportions.
"3-D" = $ grabbing... It's a trend, it's sad to see the Henson people would go the way of "Sold a ton of DVDs! Let's do a part two!"

Now, if it comes out and the story is amazing and it is great I will happily eat crow.
I want this movie, and I want it to be good, not about cash grab... Leave that to Disney and their DTV Tinkerbell movies

Mystic Master

Reaction score
A press release is a start - I'm just happy to see things are moving along. I'll be excited when they start releasing production stills from the actual movie.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As soon as I saw "3-D" I lost all interest. The Dark Crystal" was not a gimmicky movie. It was an art film of huge proportions.
"3-D" = $ grabbing... It's a trend, it's sad to see the Henson people would go the way of "Sold a ton of DVDs! Let's do a part two!"

Now, if it comes out and the story is amazing and it is great I will happily eat crow.
I want this movie, and I want it to be good, not about cash grab... Leave that to Disney and their DTV Tinkerbell movies
While I'm also very tired of the 3D gimmick too, I still have to completely disagree with your assessment of completely writing the project off as some sort of trendy hack-job because of the use of the technology.

The quality of 3D depends upon the implementation, so let's hope they use it in more of an intended "Coraline" sense rather than a "Clash of the Titans" post-production method. I prefer to watch the 2D versions of 3D released films anyway, but if this technology gets butts in theater seats then I'm for it! Box office ticket sales were dreadful before the rise of the IMAX and 3D gimmicks. Tired as they are they're reviving the entire film industry and this helps traditional releases as well.

All that “Power of the Dark Crystal” in 3D really does is insure more ticket sales. I’m sure it will be playing somewhere in 2D too. That’s a win-win how I look at it. Let's not cast out the good movie that could still exist within a gimmicky campaign. :scary: