Politics on MC

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I feel like this is something that should be addressed. I've found many times that tensions can run high when politics are brought into the discussion. Sometimes, I've gotten into full arguments with a certain member where moderators had to step in. Since then, I've been added to said member "ignore" list. Other times, I feel like I can have a reasonable discussion with other members. And the great thing is, we remember that despite our differences, we still love the Muppets.

I'm just wondering what everybody else thinks. Do you feel like there should be guidelines when discussing politics? Do you try to avoid discussions like that?

Many members here feel passionate about certain views and this can lead to attacks and otherwise. So, I felt like we should have a discussion on this. I don't mean for this to turn into a political debate; only a discussion on whether political discussions should be moderated or if it needs to be left alone.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
That's why I never liked the idea of the ignore button. I'm always worried that I might say an opinion on something that someone would disagree on, or something like that and will get ignored.
I, for one, did not ignore anyone on this forum, I found absolutely no reason to. But I'll never know if anyone did to me.
Personally, I think the ignore button should not be there, but if you have a problem with someone, you should ask a mod to block him/her from you.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have anybody in my ignore list. I did not put the member I was arguing with on there because I do enjoy a lot of his posts. But now, I'm on his so I don't think we'll be arguing again.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Politics is never a good conversation sadly...I usually approach any conversations on politics with levity and keep my personal opinions to myself (at least online) its so hard to have a conversation on such a serious thing when you can't see how the person you are talking to is reacting....oh well...I'm from Wisconsin so these days its hard to talk politics in real life without etting someone angry

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ultimately it's up to us how and whether we choose to respond to comments we don't agree with. Mods shouldn't have to regulate that; this is about personal responsibility. And it's not about politics; it could be any topic.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with other people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." ~ Linus Van Pelt
"We're obviously separated by denominational differences." --Charlie Brown

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I would like to think that we are civilized enough to discuss such things calmly and without flames, but honestly, the whole fertilizer storm over blu ray vs dvd makes me think otherwise.

I personally do not talk about politics (mainly because I wouldn't know what I was talking about) and I certainly don't delve into specifics about about my religious views unless I know the person doesn't care what I have to say. They are just things that you easily butt heads with people, and in the end, no one really wins or accomplishes anything.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
I personally have always wished LIFE had an "ignore" button. Too many idiots to deal with otherwise...

Yes, others' views on politics and religion should be treated as civilly as possible. For instance, I vehemently disagree with Bananasketch in several areas, but I respect his right to be here and to hold whatever views please him, without resorting to insult.

At least this forum isn't rife with smallminded bullies just looking for a venue to practice their hate crimes. :smile:
--------------