Playmobil copies Lego again... this time theatrically

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I like Playmobils. I like their blind bag figures (though I haven't got any yet) that are exactly like the Lego ones. But... I gotta stop spoiling everything in the title
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/11/12/playmobil-animated-movie-in-the-works/

The Lego Movie was a delightful surprise. It managed to sell the brand without it coming off as a cheap toy commercial, an amazing feat. I severely doubt this is going to have the same impact. Plus, Playmobil is more of a European brand.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I knew other companies would jump on the wagon following the success of The Lego Movie. I don't see all these companies having nearly as much brilliance as TLM did.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
No way, that is seriously amazing!! I'm so happy that the Lego Movie became to be such a huge success, it's great that it had inspired many other toy companies. It sure was quite an unexpected surprise!:fanatic: I know I should type this in another familiar thread, but it's awesome (yes...awesome) that Everything is Awesome is considered to become an Oscar nomination!!

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I knew other companies would jump on the wagon following the success of The Lego Movie. I don't see all these companies having nearly as much brilliance as TLM did.
I agree. The Lego Movie was special. The film had every right to wind up as a chintzy toy commercial for itself, and a shameless self promotion you have to pay to sit in front of. But by all means, while the movie is about the brand, the brand is featured completely through the film, but the writing was sharp and the characters were endearing enough to make it a movie about Legos instead of a 90 minute commercial. It was one of the best kid's films of the year, honestly. I don't think anyone trying to copy that can get that subtlety down. And even if they did, it would come off like a complete copy.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Eh, it won't be at the level of Lego, but i DID play with playmobils more when i was a kid.