Pixar announces Incredibles sequel and Cars 3

Drtooth

Reaction score
After a long period of speculation, seems that Brad Bird has agreed to come back for this one

About time, I say. Incredibles was one of my favorite Pixar films, and with the rise of grittier superhero based films out there, it's high time to see the further adventures of the Paar family and hopefully more Frozone as well. Frozone should have his own spinoff... all I'm saying.

And yes the report also says Cars 3. We could start whining about it, or we could just live with the realization that it made a crapload of merchandising money and still does.

mr3urious

Reaction score
At least it will take a while for Cars 3 to come out, unlike with Planes where each film in the trilogy will be released every year. Plus, Pixar has at least three more original films in the works.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Planes was essentially animated by their TV/DTV animation CGI studio. They had plans on par with the Tinkerbelle series for these films. They just got bumped to theatrical releases at the last moment.

With Pixar, other than Toy Story 2 (Studio mandated) and Cars 2 (threatened under Eisner), their sequels are usually years after the original film. Mainly because they take the time to contemplate the sequels, unlike, say, Dreamworks or Sony. They usually plan the sequel the second the box office comes back positive enough. Lego decided on a sequel the second they got a good review (and considering the juggernaut it became, they made the right move there). It's over a decade in between the Finding Nemo film and the Finding Dory follow up.

On the plus side, Cars 3 will be years away (and they're going to have to let the brand speak for itself in the meantime), but that also means Incredibles 2 is going to take forever. The idea has been kicked around for years, with Brad trying to come up with the perfect concept. I just hope they're close to one so we can get this film on track as soon as it can.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The only news I'm interested in out of Pixar is the potential clinging hope for their untitled Día de Los Muertos movie released in November 2016 if they stick to their porjected two-movie per year plans.

So... Cars will become a trilogy, we have Monsters Incorporated and University, Finding Dori will be the Summer 2016 Pixar 30th anniversary movie, and now The Incredibles second film. That leaves A Bug's Life as the lone holdout from the original five still not to get its own sequel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only news I'm interested in out of Pixar is the potential clinging hope for their untitled Día de Los Muertos movie released in November 2016 if they stick to their porjected two-movie per year plans.
There hasn't been a single announcement about that movie since they reported they had to change the name because no one liked the idea of Disney copyrighting a sacred holiday. Can't blame them.

Seems we might get 2 films next year, as The Good Dinosaur's internal problems got the film pushed to next year.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Cars 3 = why?
Drtooth already said it... $$$.

*Still hopes for Día de Los Muertos in 2016.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Incredibles sequel= good. Cars 3 = why?
What? It isn't extremely obvious they were going to make a third one? The second they announced 2, I was expecting to hear the announcement for 4, 5, and 6!

Hopefully, the plot for this next one will be more down to Earth. The spy thing feels like it was a Mater short for the Disney Channel that they decided to turn into a movie. At least it was visually stunning. The first film spent so much time in that muddy middle of nowhere. The around the world concept at least led to some great background scenery. Especially in Italy. For that reason and that reason alone, I like the second over the first.

But out of all the Pixar films that begged for a sequel, Incredibles is an about time revelation. Incredibles really should have followed Buzz Lightyear and made an in-universe fictional cartoon program (other than the Clutch Cargo parody on the 2 disk set). We should have got some follow up besides just a short lived comic book. At least a couple of the Incredibles characters are in Disney Infinity.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I can't imagine the next Cars film being a high-end success, unlike the Toy Story and Monsters, Inc. series. Remember that Cars 2 garnered mixed critical reviews, which were incredibly lower than its predecessor. But if the Cars series still appeals to the general folk, then why not do another sequel? It's one of my favorite Pixar series.

As for an Incredibles sequel.....heck yes!