Pin Trading

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I bet I'm not the only person obsessed with pin trading at WDW (or any Disney park, probably) I went right as pin trading was starting at the end of 1999. I immediately bought cheap sets (this was before you couldn't trade individual pins out of sets) and got into it. In 2000, I went back and bought more and more, and in 2002, I went to the Disney Store before the trip and got pins cheaper (4 and a lanyard for $15) This year, I went to the Disney Store, and they didn't have any pins, so I decided to E-Bay it. According to Pin trading rules, as long as the pin had something with a character on it, I was home free, so I decided to chance it. I bought a set of 5 minnie pins for $7.99 (with shipping) and 5 pins (2 Pooh 1 Piglet, and 2 Tiggers) for $10.49. That's $1.84 a pin!

so what is your best pin? Mine is probably a Yin-Yang Mickey Pin that's a mess up, I got it in 1999 and one of the circles isn't filled in, and it's brown instead of black. I also might get another mess up in my E-Bay purchase (one of the Minnie's had a coloring problem)

For those of you unfamiliar with the pin trading system, it's an ingenius plan that someone at Disney had to make moolah. It was supposed to be for the 2000 year (starting in late 99) but was successful, so it stayed. Pins run for around $6.50 (for the smallest ones) and Cast Members wear lanyards at the park with pins on them. You can trade for a pin, as long as you follow these rules:

The general rule on what constitutes a tradable pin is that it is a cloisonné, semi-cloisonné or hard enamel (all or in part) Disney pin, or an acceptable operating participant pin (House of Blues, Rainforest Café, ESPN Zone), that represents a specific Disney event, place or location, character or icon.

Only operating participant pins that show a Disney, Disneyland Resort, or Walt Disney World Resort affiliation will be accepted for trading.
Disney Service pins, Spirit of Disneyland ® Resort pins and Disney language pins will not be accepted for trading.
Counterfeit pins and lower quality pins (e.g.. plastic pins, rubber pins, other non-metal pins, epoxy-coated pins, etc.) will not be accepted for trading.

If there is any doubt as to whether a pin is tradable pursuant to these rules, the trading Cast Member shall make the final determination.
Pins should be in good, undamaged, tradable condition.

Trade one pin at a time, hand to hand.

For safety, trade pins with the backs attached.

Please refrain from touching another person’s pins or lanyard. If you need a closer look, ask the person wearing the lanyard if they can bring it into clearer view for you.

Certain pin sets must be traded as sets. If a single pin from the set does not complete the intended picture or statement alone, such as carded pin sets, all pins in the set must be traded as one pin. (sets will soon be numbered 1 of 2 or 2 of 2, to let Guests know that they are part of a set)

"Name pins" may not be traded with Cast Members. This includes Disney name pins.

When trading with Cast Members, Guests should offer a pin that is not already displayed on the Cast Member’s lanyard.

Monies or gifts may not be exchanged or used in trade for a pin.
Guests may only trade one pin of the same style with a Cast Member.
Above all… Have fun!! Pin Trading can be a great way to interact with and meet Cast Members and their Guests

does anyone have any interesting stories?

SuprGro78

Reaction score
No stories that are interesting. I just like to trade for fun pins. I usually trade with little kids and CM's for some reason.

jeremyactor

Reaction score
My best pin? My disney trainer pin. I worked hard for it.

Favorite pin? My Prince Phillip (Sleeping Beauty's Prince) that my girlfriend Melissa gave me - means a lot to me. :flirt:

Pin I'm anxiously awating? My Great Movie Ride Pin with Goofy as the Tour Guide... lovin' it!

Other good pins? My Mission: Space Pin, my Disney MGM Studios casat exclusive "On With the Show" Pin (I've got 2... anybody want to buy one?)

And I'm partial to my Pip and Pop, Tutter, and 2 different Muppetvision pins.

Jeremy

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I love my MV*3D pin! I saw a cast member with it when I she was stocking Mr. Potato head parts, so I asked. She said she had just gotten it minutes before, and knew it would trade fast.

I rule :cool:

jeremyactor

Reaction score
Do you have the one with Kermit above the clapboard, or the one with Kermit, Fozzie and Piggy? The first one isn't for sale (at least not yet. It came in a managers pin pack, but wasn't specified as a lanyard pin... so we shall see if it gets released)

Jeremy

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
just the second one, nothing special, but enough for my muppet soul

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I never got in to trading but I sure love the pins. I could never decide which ones to get. I ended up coming homew with the Muppetvision one (the one with Kermit, Piggy, and Fozzie), a StarTours one, and a Pirates of the Carribean one. I was pretty much intending to just add them to my collection of pins but we'll see what happens on my next trip.