Philip Seymour Hoffman (1967-2014)

charlietheowl

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/US/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead-46/story?id=22335771

Sad news out of New York today, as several news agencies are reporting that Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away at 47. He was one of the most decorated actors in recent years, winning an Oscar for Capote and getting nominations for The Master and Charlie Wilson's War. My favorite role of his was Lester Bangs in Almost Famous.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are. You. Serious?!

This has to be a joke! This has to be a joke!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but didn't he recently check himself into rehab for cocaine use? I'm guessing if they ever determine a cause of death, it'll be "accidental" overdose.

This really sucks though, I loved this guy, he was a great actor (and a theater director too) - anytime he was part of an ensemble cast, invariably, he was always the awesome one of the group, whether it was Dusty in TWISTER or Count in PIRATE RADIO, he was just awesome like that.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Oh no! This can't be happening! This is very sad! Another actor died of an overdose. Thhis is just as bad as Montrieth's death from a drug overdose, but I digress. Geeez!
The films I seen that had him so far were Twister as a teenager when it aired on television and The Ides of March when my mom used to get the DVD from the library.

Tragic! Very, very tragic and devasting!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but didn't he recently check himself into rehab for cocaine use? I'm guessing if they ever determine a cause of death, it'll be "accidental" overdose.
There are reports (I believe from the New York Post) that he was found with a needle and drug paraphernalia by him, so that would appear he had a drug issue of a different sort. It's always sad to see someone die because of drug use, it's so unnecessary.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
There are reports (I believe from the New York Post) that he was found with a needle and drug paraphernalia by him, so that would appear he had a drug issue of a different sort. It's always sad to see someone die because of drug use, it's so unnecessary.
Um... Christopher, I don't think Phillip Seymour was the only celebrity with drug use issues. Cory Montrith, Amy Winehouse, and other famous celebrities had been into the issues of drug use. Seymour was not the only celebrity with the drug use problems.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, but unlike those two, at least Philip Seymour Hoffman actually had a really decent career otherwise... or, at the very least, he wasn't known for having drug problems, whereas others are so public with theirs (in addition to questionable lifestyles such as Amy Winehouse) that drug use is what they become known for. Like Lindsay Lohan, for example, she practically threw her career away in favor of hard partying, petty thievery, drugs and alcohol... Philip Seymour Hoffman, on the other hand, pretty much had a handle on his career.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
A man just died, a wife lost her husband and three children lost their father. Can we please not compare him to others' drug use and blatantly spit on them, especially when they're women? Just mourn his death and acknowledge his work as an actor. THAT is what this thread is about!