Petition for Beaker, the Carrot and Scred

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi, folks. Convincing John here.

I, like all of you, have been thinking a lot about the Henson/Disney news, and I'm kinda on the fence on this. We're just gonna have to wait and see.

Well, the real reason for my post is this. As some of you know, I've done some volunteer Art projects to help Gilda's Clubs across the country, and I plan to do many, many more.

Well, I would love to (eventually...probably about five years or so down the road) make future pieces of art featuring Gilda with Scred and another one of her with the seven-foot-tall talking carrot. The one I just competed last August was of her doing the "Tap your Troubles Away" number from TMS.

I still feel that this statue isn't really complete without Beaker at her side (with the chest pull). I tried contacting the Henson legal department in California nearly a year ago with a well-written proposal and informing that I was doing this for charity. Even the Gilda's Club Quad Cities contacted them. But...there was no response. None. Nada. Zip.

So...I was wondering if there would be any way I could get a petition going to put Beaker, Scred or the carrot in with Gilda in one of my future Gilda's Club art projects. I will say that it was "The Muppet Show" that introduced me to Gilda, not SNL. I really have Jim Henson to thank for "introducing" me to Gilda.

I'm not sure where the Gorch stuff stands on this, but then again, you can't be 100% sure what will happen. Would Disney be interested in the Gorch characters? Will there be a walkaround Scred? Will the teacups in the Teacup Ride be replaced by spinning Mighty Favogs? I think not...but still, a Gorch DVD may happen someday.

However, the carrot and especially Beaker would be a different matter entirely. Would you like to see Beaker added with Gilda? Or Scred? Or would you like to see a life-size replica of the seven-foot-tall talking carrot? I'd be happy to make them...but would there be a way to get over the Disney hurdle?

The thing is, if Richard Hunt were still around, he'd probably love the idea of Beaker being a part of the Gilda's Club Quad Cities. Jim would like the idea, too.

But sadly, we don't have either one with us :frown::sympathy: I'd like to build these characters, but after reading about Disney threatening that day care center with a lawsuit, I thought "man..." I would never want anything like that to happen to Gilda's Clubs!

Any suggestions? Since technically the Muppets aren't Disney's yet, I wondered if me making Beaker, Scred and the carrot could actually happen.

Convincing John