Pet Peeves

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I'd say that the main thing is gay just flows off the tongue better than "homosexual," which sounds like simultaneously spitting, slurping, and choking. Not only that, but the term is so incredibly condescending in tone (and it's often used that way) that it sounds way more like a slur than actual slurs. Like that certain word that sounds like the "N" word that was considered okay to use during the 60's. You know, Spanish for Black.

Gay is essentially the least offensive sounding description as far as words go. At least it meant happy at one point. Considering that and "homosexual" (and to an extent, "same sex") are the only 2 that aren't slurs or used as such, that's essentially the go to word.

But yeah. If language didn't change and evolve, we'd have clunky, cumbersome, archaic lexicon to deal with. Stuff that sounds incredibly awkward that make you sound like Mr. Burns when you say it. Spelling too. Like I said in another thread "Donut" used to be "Doughnut." And yes. Some donuts are made of dough, but others are made of batter. And at the risk of sounding like a bad Seinfeld impersonation, wouldn't they be called "batternuts?" The full dough in doughnut makes it look like duggoh-nut, where as the donut we got from the word "donuts" fitting better on a box is just friendlier and accessible. Like, I'm gonna go get me a box of donuts. Not Oh my, I'm making a conscious decision to merrily stroll by the faire grounds for a piping hot doughnut from the doughnut vendor. Huzzah!
I agree. Is straight "vulgar"? Not at all. Gay according to some people mostly the devoutly religious

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I completely disagree. Languages are hard enough to learn, especially when you try to learn a second language, but they say this is the exact reason why certain languages - especially the English language - are so hard to learn because we keep changing the meaning of certain words while constantly inventing new slang terms all the time. I really see need to "own" a language.
It can be hard to grasp the language, but the way it evolves is through talking, and everyone can contribute through that. It could be frustrating, but I think it's a natural process over time. People talk differently now than they did in 1980, and 1980 to 1940, and we'll have different words and new meanings in 2050.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Know what one of my biggest pet peeves is? Cinemanga.

You know, that business practice of taking screencaps from episodes of something and slapping edited dialogue to it from the show and selling it as a legitimate comic book? I can't think of a huger ripoff than that. Original art and stories are that hard to come by that they just pay a flat fee to the writers of that episode of something and sell a shoddy product instead? Seriously. Those things are a freaking scam.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I usually don't mind reading YouTube comments, since they can actually be pretty funny sometimes, but you ever notice on certain videos (particularly SST and Muppets), there's always certain YouTubers who have to just keep posting and posting and posting insignificant comments over and over and over again in single sittings (like one guy who often posts stuff like "Long Live Jim Henson!" "Long Live Frank Oz!" "Long Live Sesame Street!")? Gah, that annoys me.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I usually don't mind reading YouTube comments, since they can actually be pretty funny sometimes, but you ever notice on certain videos (particularly SST and Muppets), there's always certain YouTubers who have to just keep posting and posting and posting insignificant comments over and over and over again in single sittings (like one guy who often posts stuff like "Long Live Jim Henson!" "Long Live Frank Oz!" "Long Live Sesame Street!")? Gah, that annoys me.
Oh my gosh yes! I think we talked about something similar on the "Frown" thread, there's a bunch of people with really repetitive comments, and you may recognize some of these :
"please do more Oscar episodes today"
"Long Live Jim Henson!"
"Long Live Frank Oz"
"Long Live Joan Ganz Cooney!"

"Can Somebody Upload 3136,3138,3139,3140 Friday3141-50 on Saturday3151,3152 complete full episode 3154,3155,3158,3159,3160 on Sunday 3161-70 on Monday 3172,3173,3175,3176,3178,3179,3180 on Tuesday 3181,3182,3183,3184,3187,3188,3189,3190 on wedsday 3191-3200 on Thursday 3238 on Friday But I will always be Paients"

"Please upload more Gina videos"

And then there are the comments that make no sense whatsoever:

"ijjjjjjzwqwkg.
TV
Mop
O99
*&k
IKkAaqqaazaJzquammamaa Nsekikiiiiiiiiob"
Not even joking, that was a real comment.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Can Somebody Upload 3136,3138,3139,3140 Friday3141-50 on Saturday3151,3152 complete full episode 3154,3155,3158,3159,3160 on Sunday 3161-70 on Monday 3172,3173,3175,3176,3178,3179,3180 on Tuesday 3181,3182,3183,3184,3187,3188,3189,3190 on wedsday 3191-3200 on Thursday 3238 on Friday But I will always be Paients"
And that brings to mind a rant of mine in our YouTube thread, where I have repeated myself to people over and over and over again that I cannot, and will not re-upload any of my Sesame content because of copyright (SW gave me a strike, after all), and that people need to stop asking/requesting me do so . . . it finally got to a point where I had to do a video about it . . . and you know what? People still ask me to upload Sesame stuff! Seriously - even though I made it loud in clear in the video that I would not do so, some people still commented like, "Well, that's okay if you won't now, I can wait for you to later." Really?! Some people even still tell me, "Well, just post them on Dailymotion then, they don't have copyright problems there." Uh, yeah they do. They've gotten just as bad as YT. So now, because I'm sick of repeating myself, anytime I come across a new comment from someone telling me they want me to upload Sesame content, I block them.

And then there are the comments that make no sense whatsoever:

"ijjjjjjzwqwkg.
TV
Mop
O99
*&k
IKkAaqqaazaJzquammamaa Nsekikiiiiiiiiob"
Not even joking, that was a real comment.
As Drtooth once pointed out, those keyboard-mashing comments are clearly from trolls. I get those quite often myself, and when I do, I mark them as spam. I have no time to put up with that kind of crap.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As Drtooth once pointed out, those keyboard-mashing comments are clearly from trolls. I get those quite often myself, and when I do, I mark them as spam. I have no time to put up with that kind of crap.
Trolls that aren't even clever or funny. I do get some nonsense comments on DA from time to time, and even then, at least its structured nonsense.

Speaking of which, I kept getting this obnoxious guy, I don't even think he's a troll so much as just someone with the mind of a small child asking me if I seen things. And it got so annoying I blocked him...only for him to pester me in private messages, so I mark them as spam.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Trolls that aren't even clever or funny. I do get some nonsense comments on DA from time to time, and even then, at least its structured nonsense.

Speaking of which, I kept getting this obnoxious guy, I don't even think he's a troll so much as just someone with the mind of a small child asking me if I seen things. And it got so annoying I blocked him...only for him to pester me in private messages, so I mark them as spam.
ugh, I hate internet trolls, especially the ones who go on yahoo answers, and give uncalled for smart mouthed answers, when someone is asking a serious question.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True, I stopped using Yahoo! Answers years ago because it's deevolved into a sick joke. I mean, seriously, the last time I looked, the only questions that ever got any actual answers were insignificant, petty questions like "What's Your Favorite Taylor Swift Song?"