Performers/Shows question

ScottMonster

Reaction score
This is a question I've been meaning to ask for some time and it has to do with the performers and their involvement or non involvement in various muppet featured productions (though my questions basically are centered around the 'big three': The Muppet Show, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock) - specifically why were some muppet performers used for some shows and not others. It would seem to me that only Jim Henson (obviously) and Jerry Nelson were the only two performers who performed characters on all three shows.

Consider:

Dave Goelz (sp?) Best known for Gonzo and a few leser known characters like Zoot etc on TMS as well as Boober on Fraggle Rock, but AFIK he had no role on Sesame Street.

Frank Oz didn't perform on Fraggle Rock, to my knowledge. Or did he? (because it does seem a bit odd that he wouldn't have back then)

Karen Prell and Kathryn Mullen -- Fraggle Rock -- played Red and Mokey respectively, but no one else that I know of on either FR or either TMS or SS which looks pretty bad considering the fact that people have often commented on the few female performers and even fewer female muppets there have been.

And I don't think Steve Whitmire had a part on SS untill he took on Kermit and Ernie after Jim Hensons death. Prior to that he could only claim a few characters like Rizzo the Rat and a few others from TMS and then of course Wembley on FR.

And last but not least, Caroll Spinney. I deliberately named him last because I already have my own theory as to why he performed exclusively on Sesame Street: Once The Muppet Show took off, it meant that the performers had busier schedules which made things more difficult, not to mention the fact that the two shows were taped on different sides of the Atlantic. It would also explains why from the mid 70s onward, Ernie and Bert are only seen in their apartment in insert skits on SS and rarely (if ever) in street scenes. But there was probably a realization that CTW needed to have a Muppet performer who could be available "full time" so to speak on the set of Sesame Street, and I think this would explain why Caroll Spinney performed only on Sesame Street. (and yes, I am aware of the fact that Big Bird once appeared as a guest along with Leslie Uggams on the Muppet Show, but that doesn't count.) But it wouldn't explain why he only had Big Bird and Oscar to play. The man is a very talented performer and artist and should have been given more to do.

Just a theory I have

Thijs

Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottMonster
It would seem to me that only Jim Henson (obviously) and Jerry Nelson were the only two performers who performed characters on all three shows.

and Richard Hunt. He was in TMS (Scooter) SS (Forgetful Jones) and FR (Junior).

And Karen and Kathy were in TMS, but had no speaking role. They were only performing (Kathy did Gaffer).

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Scott: A lot of different factors play a part in who performs in what. Frank's directing career was a major part of his first steps away from the Muppets, and this was happening when Fraggle Rock began. As for Sesame Street, location and availability were just two of the big deciding factors in who traveled to the UK for The Muppet Show.

At the moment, there are a number of New York-based performers, a number of LA-based performers, and some based in the UK, as well as quite a few freelancers from all around the country. They mix and match from time to time, but you'll generally find that location determines to a large degree which performers are tapped to be involved in projects.

I hope this helps answer your question.

secret squirrel

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
hey secret squirrel, how come we never see rowlf anymore? i know bill performers him, but rowlf is pretty much in the back ground and might say a few words or even a line or two, or nothing at all. does bill or even the people at henson feel as if rowlf isn't that important to the muppets anymore or that bill should be concentrating more on pepe?

also, how come the electric mayhem never say anything or play a huge part in movies or even specials, or even sing songs for that matter? they haven't sung anything for over a decade..

ryan

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie

also, how come the electric mayhem never say anything or play a huge part in movies or even specials, or even sing songs for that matter? they haven't sung anything for over a decade..

ryan
hope they still got the 'groove' :big_grin:

Sarah

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel
Scott: A lot of different factors play a part in who performs in what. Frank's directing career was a major part of his first steps away from the Muppets, and this was happening when Fraggle Rock began. As for Sesame Street, location and availability were just two of the big deciding factors in who traveled to the UK for The Muppet Show.

At the moment, there are a number of New York-based performers, a number of LA-based performers, and some based in the UK, as well as quite a few freelancers from all around the country. They mix and match from time to time, but you'll generally find that location determines to a large degree which performers are tapped to be involved in projects.

I hope this helps answer your question.

secret squirrel

It does indeed! Thanks *Secret* Squirrel for your reply...and I agree with others here that some things are best kept secret...and I've always love a good mystery, anyway!:wink:

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Ryan.

You'll see more Rowlf when you see more of everybody. It's hard squeezing all the characters into every little production. Everyone at Henson has their favorites, don't worry.

secret squirrel

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i'm sure that everyone has their favorites, but why is it bill uses pepe more than rowlf. pepe is funny, but you can only stand so much of him before you want him to become your next meal...if i were bill, i would put pepe aside, and concentrate more on rowlf, because rowlf is the oldest of the muppet show characters, but he still hasn't been given the proper time to be in the movies a lot and talk and play on the piano, and do whatever else he does in my opinion..

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel
Ryan. You'll see more Rowlf when you see more of everybody. It's hard squeezing all the characters into every little production. Everyone at Henson has their favorites, don't worry.
secret squirrel
I was excited to see shots in IAVMMCM with Rowlf, Janice, Crazy Harry, Beauregard, all those!!

So, who's YOUR favorite? I think mine is quite obvious, but there are hundreds of secondary favorites.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I love rowlf too and would love to see him in more scenes...actually all of Bill's characters, both original and "adopted" are cool...I really like Bobbo, and doesn't Bill do Dr. Teeth now?

If i had to pick a couple of muppets to really make a comeback, I'd pick Rowlf and the Electric Mayhem...