Parents watching Sesame thread

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lol.
Nah! I'm not quite there yet. I am in a wonderfully steady and serious relationship, but we aren't ready to be married. Finishing school is kind of a priority.:wink:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Indeed, I am!

BooberFraggless said:
There are other parents on this board. I know Rosewood is the parent of a child who currently watches Sesame Street.
I'm a parent of a 3.5 year old, and a 1.5 year old. And all 3 of us are avid SS fans! And I do find it interesting that, since I have started showing them the old re-runs I have been able to obtain, they have stopped asking for Elmo so much and have been asking for characters like Harry, Kermit, Grover, Oscar, Big Bird without a head (LOL!), Snuffy and Mr Hooper! Be it their true preference, or simply a "freak of nature", either way It's heaven to me! And if I put it on right after breakfast, their attention span is usually un-interupted for the entire hour. I have also noticed an extreem increase in their vocabulary skills, now that the only character they have to hear speaking third-person is limited to Cookie Monster. Coincidense? I wish some other parents would try something like this and see what results they get. It would be interesting!:wink:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Just wondering.......

abiraniriba said:
My daughter and I watch it almost every morning while she is getting ready for preschool. Unfortunately she's had to miss Elmo's World a lot lately as the bus has been arriving just as it comes on.
Do you still watch "Elmo's World" after she leaves?

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I'm a parent of a 3.5 year old, and a 1.5 year old. And all 3 of us are avid SS fans! And I do find it interesting that, since I have started showing them the old re-runs I have been able to obtain, they have stopped asking for Elmo so much and have been asking for characters like Harry, Kermit, Grover, Oscar, Big Bird without a head (LOL!), Snuffy and Mr Hooper! Be it their true preference, or simply a "freak of nature", either way It's heaven to me! And if I put it on right after breakfast, their attention span is usually un-interupted for the entire hour. I have also noticed an extreem increase in their vocabulary skills, now that the only character they have to hear speaking third-person is limited to Cookie Monster. Coincidense? I wish some other parents would try something like this and see what results they get. It would be interesting!:wink:

Big Bird without a head??....?

superfan

Reaction score
Yes, I AM a parent who watches SS with my daughter. She's a little beyond Elmo's World but will watch it if there's nothing else to distract her. My husband and I will usually provide a running commentary on what is happening. All I do is hope that I'll see something classic. HOPE. Hope beyond hope. It's changed a lot, of course but this is what we as Muppet fans do. We pass our interest down to the younger generation in hopes of providing them with the same lasting fond memories as we had.
So my daughter will remember SS with Elmo as (pretty much)the main character. So what? She's watching SS. That's all that matters.
I would watch it without her, too, of course.

BEAR

Reaction score
Good post, Superfan. I think it is great to provide your kids with some of the same memories that you had as a child, and if that includes showing them older clips that is fine. It is important to let them have their own fond memories as well and let them experience the Sesame Street from their own generation that they can share with other fans the same age when they grow up. There needs to be a balance. The current Sesame Street is fine.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I hope the show is on by the time I have Kids.

I'm sure it will be. But just incase, you should always save as many of the dvd's and whatever episodes and specials you can so you can show your kids. They should be able to watch any Sesame Street old or new.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thank you Bear, there are also other fine programming on out there as well, but I'll certenly miss SS when it gose.