Palisades Mega Muppet line debuts this Winter

Electric Mayhem

Reaction score
I'm starting to see dollar signs flashing before my eyes with all this new Muppet stuff coming out...

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Okay okay, I see the points everyone is making and I think they are valid. But I am all for a large Beaker.

We will get other large figures. My guess is we'll get a large figure with each action figure series, or one with every other series. So there will be plenty of other figs made.

I think Beaker is a good first choice. Beaker has a LOT of appeal with non-hard core fans which is important for a toy line to be successful. The VC Beaker is an exclusive-- available at a con and through the collector's club only. Not out there for the general public. Invisible Beaker was an industry give-away. Definitely not available to the general public. The Igel Beaker is hard to come by and the Disney Beaker isn't exactly available at every Toys R Us. The Busts won't be all over the malls and their price means the average Muppet enthusiast won't be buying 'em.

We feel like Beaker is everywhere, but the average person, people who like the Muppets but aren't fanatics like us, haven't had that. Since Beaker has only been in the Labs playset in stores, I can see why Palisades would make him the first large figure. Plus, weren't we all talking about how cool a large scale Beaker would be just a few months ago? In December, when large Beaker hits the stores, Palisades won't have had a Beaker out for 4 months-- I think this will work.

Anyway, I'm excited about this line! Think of the fun of having larger figures. I want a big Gonzo! How about a large Rowlf? Maybe a Kermit with Robin from MCC?

Truth is, some of us won't be able to afford $25 a figure and some of us are going to buy everyone, no matter which Muppets are produced. Given the quality and accuracy of the Palisades figures, there will be great toys.

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
Here's my opinion...
Although Beaker wouldn't have been my first choice (just for selfish reasons because he's not one my favorite characters) I think Palisades made a smart choice.
Large scale figures are what I refer to as "College Dorm Collectibles" meaning that college aged kids swept up in the nostalgia of the seventies and eighties will buy them to: put on their desks, hang from their overhead lights, put various props in the mouth or hands (cigarettes etc..), buy for their new girlfriends, etc.. Basically meaning, they're more for display than for play value. So stretchy legs, light-up eyes, and pop up heads would be wasted on them, and push the price point to the extent that the intended consumer would not shell out the cash.
If what I'm guessing is correct, the next ones will probably be the other cult favorites: Animal, The Swedish Chef, maybe Janice, Pepe etc.. I wouldn't expect a Rowlf, Fozzie, Gonzo, or really even a Kermit.
I think it's a smart move. Trust them.
-Artie

uncleduke

Reaction score
Well, Ken, ya wanted to shake up the board. :big_grin:

If this is another Hoax you aint leaving San Diego in one piece.

I am absolutely amazed.... less than a month ago every one was drooling at the prospect of this piece, now that it is announced you shrug it off.
Of course several weeks ago many of you were also blasting Kermit's Swamp Years, and last week you wanted action figures of that.

Palisades is a business. If they were relying on us for all of their sales, they could not afford their fancy new offices, heck they probably could not afford to buy Ken a computer for him to tape his Heidi picture on.
Look at the Invisible Beaker,,, Ken has told all of us not to pay the eBay price for them, yet they keep selling in the triple digits! So OBVIOUSLY there are people buying Muppet toys who do not read this board.

Personally I think this is a great inaugural figure for this line. He has broad fan appeal as well as hard core fan appeal.
As I had stated earlier, if they did Kermit, or another 'bandy legged' muppet I think it would be hard to do.
My 5" Kermit won't stand up straight (that sounds much worse than it is) if I had a jumbo sized one, I would either have to leave him in the box, or else just buy him a prayer mat, and be sure he is facing Mecca.
And face it, who amongst us does not already have at least 3 Kermits in the 10" - 15" range, heck I got two this week (the NASCAR one and the Wrigley Field one).
Would I be happier if they did the Monsters like Thog and Sweetums? Absolutely, they would be in perfect scale to the figures (and don't jump on me, I know Sweetums is due later, I am just using him as an example). if this line lakes off, I think we will see those.
I think Beaker is the perfect measuring stick for this new scale, and all of you who pass it up for 25 bucks will just be posting on this board in 2 years under the wanted section looking for one.
He will also be very easy to customize, with the larger scale.
I am just praying he is hollow or roto cast. If he is, he has a date with the Dremel. Good-bye eyeballs, hello vanity lights, sockets and an electrical cord.
bwahahahahahahaah!!!!

SPECIAL ED

Reaction score
3 words=indiana kermit+bullwhip sale=bonanaza and huge sales i say rock on.

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
i agree that people are entitled to their opinions, and i understand that that is what the Palisades guys come in here to get. what i don't understand is the way people go about it. if someone came in and tried to tell me how to do MY job, without taking into account all the various aspects of what i do, and what can and cannot be done because of that...i'd be pretty friggin' upset.
I'm not sure how fine a line there is between what some consider opinion and what you are calling "telling Palisades how to do their job." I don't think saying "I wish it wasn't Beaker" is telling them how to run their business anymore then I consider Ken saying "I expected more enthusiasm" is him telling us how to act as consumers.
Almost everybody on here has been very happy with Palisades performance so far. I know I feel a little concern for this new venture of theirs succeeding, because I certainly don't want them to have a bad taste in their mouth from something Muppet related.
Ken, Mike, and the rest have their reasons for making these, and choosing Beaker as their launch character. I think there's nothing wrong with us sharing our reasons why we may not buy it. Perhaps it will give Palisades feedback that they can use to adjust future releases (or even this one). Even in the negative opinions I've seen several things I would consider helpful (voices, different accessories, etc.).

Luke

Reaction score
Uncleduke & Muppetquilter

Actually looking back, i don't think there were people drooling for this large scale Beaker figure. Ken asked people what they thought about them doing it and got a few lukewarm replies. I don't consider that drooling compared to the amount of people who voiced their opinions about Pepe, Rizzo or what they thought about Vacation or Invisible Fozzie.

To be honest i think all the vibes were there at the time, and i don't think the people of MC can be blamed for this. It's obviously another way to make money easily from the license that was bought without spending out too much anyway - it's business and i can totally understand that, and I guess the more money Palisades makes, the more goes into R&D, or hiring a better factory so this can all be seen positively in some lights and to peoples benefits i guess.

uncleduke

Reaction score
WAAAAAAY Off Topic

I would like to nominate the following for the first annual Post That Can Be Misunderstood When Taken Out Of Context Award....

Originally posted by towels

....I certainly don't want them to have a bad taste in their mouth from something Muppet related.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I knew this would happen. some on here said people would be hot for kermit and piggy more than teeth and bunsen, but I had a feeling the more 'obscure' figures would be selling much better.
i saw that a mile away.
Cory - the more obscure figures were short packed and thus with less available to actually put on the shelves, it 'looks' like they have done better than the main characters but in reality there are more Kermits and Piggy's left because there were more put out there in the first place.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Rooted Hair For Beaker?

Actually, in my experience only the Miss Piggy is a shelf sitter. Kermit is always very popular. How can you go wrong with the frog? (This frogboy's a little biased)

I also think that the Beaker is the best overall choice for a large-scale figure but as I explained - it is easy to understand why fans would want somebody else first. Personally, I would have really rather seen Animal - he'd be a hot seller too.

For some reason Animal and Beaker are the most popular Muppets with non-fans (although plenty of us fans like them too). I guess they are kind of abstract characters that can stand on their own without Muppet companions - yes - it is not necessary to have Beaker with Bunsen, though it is necessary to have Bunsen with Beaker in the minds of the public.

So my only concern is if Beaker will have rooted hair. I really hope it is not a sculpt. That would make me very excited about this figure!