Palisades Mega Muppet line debuts this Winter

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ken-

We love Beaker and all that you do, but here's a break-down of why fans may be Beakered-out:

*Muppet Vision Beaker plush - released a year and a half ago
*Igel Beaker plush - released a year ago
*Muppet Labs Beaker - just released (after much discussion)
*2 Beaker Exclusives - VC and Invisible released
*Weta Beaker - will be in the first wave of busts

This brings us to the large Beaker. Now I know it will be a hot seller among non-fans, but you can understand the lack of enthisiam from die-hards. It's just over-exposure of Beaker at the moment. That's all. Yall do such a good job.

radionate

Reaction score
A question....

How many large scale action figures have been successful over the last few years. I know there might be one or two, but most that I'm aware of have been flops. Especially if they are simply the same figure, just bigger.

Aerosmith

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I was kinda hoping the bigger beaker would have a few more tricks, a la stretching legs or arms, retractable head, moving mouth, but from the pic I saw, doesn't look like it! Bummer huh?!?!?!
You know that would probably make it cost more.

kane31666

Reaction score
I'm not feeling this either. If it's the same figure just bigger, I wouldnt' dish out the dough for it. Only if it came with new accessories and actually had a function(like the head going down, or saying meep). Maybe even then I wouldn't.

Boom Oy!

Reaction score
Re: ken,i am excited

Tomahawk... big guy... we need to back you down a step or two here. Must remember to log off of Muppet Central every now and again to make phone calls to people you are supposed to be having lunch with... does this ring a bell at all hoss?

Oh yes, BRING ON THE 12 INCH BEAKER

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
How many large scale action figures have been successful over the last few years.
it depends on how you define "successful". the larger figures are historically produced in smaller numbers, and sold mostly through specialty stores. they are for the collectors, who really get into the detail of things, and yes, they are usually just a bigger version of the same fig.

McFarlane seems to be the "biggest"(i made a funny) proponent of larger figures, as he has made at least one from every line of Movie Maniacs (i think). they've sold pretty well, from what i can tell, and are more expensive than what Palisades is talking about charging.

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
Mega Muppets

Originally posted by frogboy4
We love Beaker and all that you do, but here's a break-down of why fans may be Beakered-out:
*Muppet Vision Beaker plush - released a year and a half ago
*Igel Beaker plush - released a year ago
*Muppet Labs Beaker - just released (after much discussion)
*2 Beaker Exclusives - VC and Invisible released
*Weta Beaker - will be in the first wave of busts
This brings us to the large Beaker. Now I know it will be a hot seller among non-fans, but you can understand the lack of enthisiam from die-hards. It's just over-exposure of Beaker at the moment. That's all. Yall do such a good job.
You do bring up a good point, but also keep in mind unless you know exactly how to get them, a lot of Muppet fans may not even know about the Muppet Vision bean bag, the Igel plush, or the convention/industry exclusives.

I think it's about time Beaker got his due with a collection of merchandise. I still remember when he got the rumored shaft in the Eden line back in the mid-90's.

I'm actually interested to see what Palisades has planned for this line. They're starting out with Beaker, a character who is widely popular but is not one of the main six or so "stars." Will this line eventually cover everyone, or will it be used to feature only "niche" characters?

The only thing I would have suggested for these kinds of figures would be that Palisades try to negotiate for a voice chip, even if nothing more than a simple "Meep Meep MEEP MEEP!" The rights for that may be a little easier to get since it seems that these figures will be done one character at a time instead of as a whole assortment.

Other than that, I have no problem with a new Beaker. I personally would probably only buy the characters that I really like (Beaker, Zoot, Scooter, Rowlf, Kerm, Lips...hee hee, etc.), but I say the more the merrier as long as it doesn't crowd the smaller figures.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
Stop bellyaching.
How can you say that when the whole idea why the Palisades people are here is to get opinions. You can't just expect people to be butt kissers, if they like it or not they should give their honest opinion. The feedback be it positive or negative should be valuable.

You are quite right that this is a thing hardcore figure collectors in general will love, but then this forum is not aimed at them. The other person is quite right saying that large figures rarely sell as well as the regular versions - and with such a limited fanbase a Muppet line really needs both groups on board which they won't have with a large line because Muppet fans haven't really asked for it and i suspect don't want it as a priority. I also don't think people have been asking for mass variations of Beaker - it has been much more about grabbing anything in the regular line that comes out and rare figures are hot in both the general figure collecting market AND the muppet fanbase so you are talking good sales margins.

kane31666

Reaction score
Good point Luke, feedback is the main goal, IMO. and whether good or bad it helps the company.

grail

Reaction score
i said that because a lot of people, and to some extent i include myself, use the fact that we have access to someone in "the industry" to basically b***h about the fact that they didn't get exactly what they want. you're right that they need the figs to appeal to as many as possible, but you can't please everyone. some people seem to forget that they are still a business, and their job is to make as many people as possible happy, even if that means royally cheesing off one or two.

i agree that people are entitled to their opinions, and i understand that that is what the Palisades guys come in here to get. what i don't understand is the way people go about it. if someone came in and tried to tell me how to do MY job, without taking into account all the various aspects of what i do, and what can and cannot be done because of that...i'd be pretty friggin' upset.