Our Favorite Non-Muppets Music - An Open Discussion

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Lots of folks for me. Here are some of my favorites:

Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon -- Absolutely love 'em together. Solo, I tend to like Paul's earlier work but not so much recently. I'm a bigger fan of Art Garfunkel solo and can't wait for his new album in October.
John Denver -- It was a sad, sad day when he died. :frown: So wholesome, down-to-earth, compassionate, and just plain joyful. And a friend of the Muppets too!
Don McLean -- Gotta love "American Pie," and "Vincent" is one of the most poetic songs I've ever heard.
Gordon Lightfoot -- Great folksy singer-songwriter with a repertoire running from great literary figures ("Don Quixote") to great American tragedies ("The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald").
The Irish Rovers - A rollicking bunch of Irish folk singers who croon the tunes of Ireland and several other countries. They sing a hearty mix of tragic ballads and drinking songs.
Alvin and the Chipmunks - Hey, they're just fun. It's like listening to a record with the pitch distorted, with some zany comedy thrown in.
Neil Diamond - Great singer/songwriter, and his is usually the first Christmas album I listen to after Thanksgiving.
Billy Joel - Gotta love that piano, and he's got some really nifty songs. I can't get enough of "The Longest Time."

Well, there are a lot more, but I'll give it a rest. Think I'll go fire up the ol' turntable! :smile:
Erin

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'm going to keep this extremely short so as to not give myself a headache.

Philip Glass - classical, minimalist, film score, concert work, stage play, opera, ballet, etc. composer
Ella Fitzgerald - jazz vocalist
Charles Mingus - jazz bassist
Bryan Adams - rock n' roll
Jo Dee Messina - modern country

If anyone shares in my love for these artists, I will hug you.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Jo Dee Messina - modern country

If anyone shares in my love for these artists, I will hug you.
Scott, come hug me. :smile:

I like Jo Dee Messina, and absolutely love "Bring On The Rain"---I got the sheet music from the ebay (lol), and love to play it and listen to my download of it.

It's just such an uplifting song of everlasting hope and optimism...it can really pick you up. :smile:

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I haven't been posting lately but I'm educated enough on this subject (my fav music preferences) that I can, hopefully, contribute something fun...although admittedly off-topic.

Beatles - huge influence on me - probably as much as the Muppets had on me during my childhood. There has never been anything like the body of work they produced with such a special chemistry between the four of them.

Paul Simon - I love his songwriting and production style particularly his early and mid-seventies work. "Still Crazy After All These Years" has some of the most poignant songs about the break up of a marriage. In terms of vocal performance I really admire the way he lightly enunciates the consanants at the end of each of his lyrics thus making his vocal phrasing so distinctive. He is also an underrated acoustic guitarist just check out his early work with Artie Garfunkel.

Stevie Wonder - When I first started listening to his work I felt like I had rediscovered the joy of making music. It was absolutely mind-blowing just how talented this man is. I really dig his albums in the seventies not just for the songs but the feel of everything. There's something about the sound that just feels so warm despite some of the social-justice themes.

Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys - Pet Sounds is hands down my favourite album of all time. When I was in college I felt as though I lived through that music. My love for that album led me to other works in their canon which are just as moving. I think you need to get past the "surf" stigma that surrounds them. Again, it's all about the feel within the music...and it can be stunningly lovely.
Check out "Kiss Me Baby", "In My Room", "Our Sweet Love", "Til' I Die" and "Feel Flows".

Okay enough descriptions...here's a list.

Paul McCartney
Pete Townshend (solo primarily)
Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey (dB's)
Hank Dogs (a wonderful folk group)
Cry, Cry, Cry
Alison Krause
The Byrds
Crowded House (very underrated band)
Buddy Holly
Vince Guaraldi
Diana Krall
Ella Fitzgerald
Antonio Vivaldi
Ludwig Van Beethoven

oh...there's lots more that I just adore (not only four).

These days it just seems that I really dig anything from the baroque era of classical music.

that's about the size of it,

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Alrighty, and some o' my faves:

Lorrie Morgan - One of country's greatest ladies, and one the one today who stands up the strongest for true country music. Though the real stuff is her true love, she also dabbles in some contemporary, loves oldies, and has a passion for the ol' romantic standards of yesteryear. Her concerts and albums are always packed with variety.

And yeah, she's the one I got to sing for this summer in Nashville, for those of y'all who remember. She's just got the torchiest, sexiest voice in country...

Heart - My favorite rock band. These two sisters (Ann and Nancy) know how to kick some tail, and their backup guys make a perfect blend with 'em. Their '70s stuff is good, but it's their '80s and early '90 stuff that really gets me. Like Janice, these girls know how to rock.

Sweethearts of the Rodeo
Patty Loveless
Carlene Carter
- A few other country females I enjoy

Steve Holy - He's newer to the country scene, and has lots of Roy Orbison-ish oldies influences, which gives him a great unique sound in his genre. Some great variety on his first (and so far only) album.

Mark Schultz - A Christian singer with 2 albums who came on the scene 2 years ago. He was a youth minister before he got a record deal, and writes his own material, usin' lots of real-life experiences. His fast songs can rev ya up, and his slow ones can mellow you into peace. Great messages and great music.

Ray Stevens - Country/pop comedian, most of his stuff came out in the '70s and '80s. He's got a great wacky sense of humor, which of course I appreciate greatly.

And I, too, love me some great classical music. I really love to hear brass with brass, or woodwinds with woodwinds, but like 'em mixed, too.

Okay, some o' mine for ya.

SammieRose

Reaction score
Re: To Sammie Rose

Originally posted by Sir Didymus
Kelly Klarkson??? Isn't she on American Idiol?

Didymus
Yes, but I looooooove her voice. I'm so glad she won! She has a lovely voice, and you can download her songs online.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I'm with you, Sammie. Kelly's got a gorgeous voice and genuine class. She just seems to be such a decent person. And I gotta give Justin his props for being so gracious. I think both of them are headed for illustrious careers.
Erin

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I'm more about individual songs than groups...

Anime: I don't file this under the category of "J-Pop," since I only listen to Japanese stuff from anime series like Sailor Moon and Digimon. Currently Wada Kouji and Ai Maeda (better known as AiM) are my two favorite anime/j-pop artists, followed by Two-Mixx and the Seatbelts as my favorite anime/j-pop groups. In the instance of Seatbelts and artists like Yoko Kanno, their music helped make Cowboy Bebop.

80s: I am a product of the eighties, I admit it. Put on anything by Styx, Queen, Phil Collins or any old song that was from the 80s, and I'll listen to it.

Dar Williams: I'll admit I've only heard one song of hers, titled "The Christians and the Pagans." But it's a beautiful song, and not very preachy despite the title.

Lonestar: Okay, I'm not a big fan of country music overall. But there's something about this group that just hooks me every time. Take their latest single, "I'm Already There." I first heard it complete while out in the garage sanding our porch glider, and it just struck a chord in me.

Comedy: By this I mean parody songs by people like Spike Jones or Tom Lehrer (not Weird Al; that's my brother's little obsession), or else audio clips off of Monty Python or Whose Line is it Anyway?. And be warned, I can quote my favorite bits from any four of those almost accurately, from memory.

Musicals: I can be on SongSpy for hours searching for mp3s from musicals; at least half to 65% of the musical quotiant of my mp3 collection is comprise of songs from either Joseph or Jekyll and Hyde.

The rest depends on individual songs rather than artists. I can like just one thing by one artist, but not like everything. And then there's stuff from movie soundtracks, vocals and background pieces alike. So my musical tastes vary.

-Kim

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Re: I'm more about individual songs than groups...

Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet

Dar Williams: I'll admit I've only heard one song of hers, titled "The Christians and the Pagans." But it's a beautiful song, and not very preachy despite the title.
Hey Kim,

Dar is absolutely worth checking out. She's a wonderful singer/songwriter and she's also a member of one of my favourite groups "Cry, Cry, Cry" (see my list above). I would really recommend her first album "The Honesty Room" I think it has some of her best stories out of all her albums. Her last album, "the green room" is definitely worth checking out as well.

Some songs to look out for: "If I Wrote You", "As Cool As I Am", "Are You Out There", "Iowa", "When I Was a Boy", "I Love (Traveling III)" and "Another Mystery"

Thog

Reaction score
I would have to say that my fave. singers/groups would have to be.

Cyndi Lauper - Who has put out a new CD called Shine which is fantastic. It only has 8 songs on it because she is looking for a new record lable and then she will relese the full CD.

The Beatles
Cake
Dave Matthews
Cher Toad the Wet Sprocket
and a lot of dance techno music......