Our Favorite Non-Muppets Music - An Open Discussion

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Hey All,
As I sat listening to my favorite album (The Who's "Quadrophenia") I couldn't help but wonder what my good friends on MC listen to. We metal-heads, classic rockers, punks, rappers, poppies? Let us all list what our favorite acts are, and also what general genre they'd fall into for people who might not know. Here is a list made by Cantus:

The Who - Classic Rock. Possibly (IMO) the greatest band ever. The unfortunate passing of John Entwisle has left me wondering how they will ever get the bass they once had back again (I doubt they ever will...he was such a talented bassist, and being a bassist myself I can honestly say, he was one skilled craftsman of sound, working chords unlike any other.).

The White Stripes - Alternative/Blues. My favorite modern band. I don't paticularly like the members as people, but they are very talented and a good band all around.

Nerf Herder - Emo Rock/Nerd Core. Amazing band. Not very well known though. Check them out.

The Bloodhound Gang - Rap/Rock/Alternative. Amazing. And I'm not just talking about "Hooray" or "One Fierce," I mean they were awesome when they were rapping on "Use Your Fingers." Very clever lyrics that showed that even though Jimmy Pop is just a normal 20-ish guy, he's still one very smart indivisual.

Tenacious D - Rock. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Few people see past the extreme funniness of this band to see that they are actually very talented guitarists. KG really know what he's doing. And they are really quite funny. :big_grin:

Method Man/Redman - Hip-Hop. To find rappers that talk about more than just women money and material possessions is rare these days. These two are masters of their profession. Their lyrics span references that even I have to do a little research to fully understand. Both Method Man and Redman's solo albums are also amazing that way, Especially Method Man's Tical 2000: Judgement Day. It still amazes me how they are so unintelligent sounding during interviews and such.

Planet Asia - Hip-Hop/Underground Rap. Underground raps finest. Just like Red and Meth with the insanely good lyrics, with his own voice and style to change it up and keep things interesting. Awesome rapper, and a bit smarter sounding when spoken to candidly.

Jurassic 5 - Hip-Hop. Combine what was said about the last 2 rap acts and divide by 3. Add 2 DJs and you get an amazing act. Very intelligent men as well.

Jimi Hendrix - Rock/Blues/Awesomness. What can I say? Best guitarist to ever live.

Pink Floyd - Rock (for lack of a better genre for them). Another one of gods gifts to earth. Amazingly awesome and extremely powerful band. Their instramentals are enough to make a man bow to his knees and cry tears of awe (at least thats what happened for me...)

Incubus - A close second on my favorite modern bands. A bit mainstream in some senses, but they are really talented muscians, and their lyrics are also quite good. "Make Yourself" is definitely on the top 10 most loved albums by me. :smile:

The Misc.-eys - Basically All the other stuff I like that isn't up in the greatest catagory. They include: David Bowie, the Beatles, Al Hirt, Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop themes), Billy Joel, Elton John, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Ranmas (Ranma 1/2 Themes), Sublime, Peter Sellers, Peter, Paul, and Mary, and oh so many more.

So there you have it folks. I anxiously await your responses. :smile:

-Matt

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
Is it okay if I just list the bands/solo artists with out all that other info?

Too bad if it isn't because here's my list:

The Beatles
Queen
Level 42
Billy Joel
Elton John
Simply Red
Simple Minds
Bon Jovi
John Lennon
Dire Straits
AHA
Genesis
Roxette
Carly Simon
Eminem
Robbie Williams

And heaps more but that should be enough for starters!!! :smile:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
That's cool Amy, I just though adding the genre might be appropriate, for people who might not know what kind of music the band/act does. But nice choices all the same. :smile:

-Matt

Aerosmith

Reaction score
Aerosmith(duh)
Weird Al
KISS
RUSH
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Ted Nugent
The Joe Perry Project
Ace Frehley's Comet
Bon Jovi
Alice Cooper
Ozzy Osbourne
AC/DC
The Doors
The Who
Led Zepplein
The Rolling Stones
Queen
Def Leppard
Journey
Van Halen
Pink Floyd
"Diamond" David Lee Roth
Jimi Hendrix
Iron Maiden

SammieRose

Reaction score
Oh goodness....

There are so many singers and bands that I like..... eesh....

Norah Jones
Vanessa Carlton
Lara Fabian
Michelle Branch
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughn
Billy Joel
Paul Simon
Kelly Clarkson
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Newsboys (first concert I ever saw)
Amy Grant
Faye Wong
Beach Boys
John Mayer
Jars of Clay
Vitamin C
John Denver
Frank Sinatra
Gold Company
Creed
Arrogant Worms
Carrie Bolthouse (a girl who just graduated from my school.... I could listen to her for hours)
Billie Holiday
Aerosmith
Bette Midler...

The list goes on.....and on..... and on.....

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
To Sammie Rose

Kelly Klarkson??? Isn't she on American Idiol?

Didymus

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
-More 80s artists than you could ever goshdarn dream of...
-Pink
-No Doubt
-Cee-Lo
-New Radicals (one album, yes, but a wonderful album it was)
-Blackalicious
-Dirty Vegas

Sorry I couldn't list the 80s artists, but I have a reason...I love ALL 80s music. From Grandmaster Flash to Lee Greenwood to Motley Crue to Malclom McLaren to Bonnie Tyler, plus the big ones (Madonna, Michael Jackson, The Boss, Prince). You try being 19 years old and loving 80s music in 2002...It's rough, but it's worth it!

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Neutral Milk Hotel
Pink Floyd
John Vanderslice
The Monkees
John Denver
Queen
The Dismemberment Plan
Radiohead
Precious
Thomas Dolby
Pearl Jam
David Bowie
Scott Joplin
Wendy Carlos
Kid Dakota
Soul Coughing
Paul Simon
Red House Painters
The Æffect
The Flaming Lips
Remy Zero
Ben Folds Five
Marcy Playground
Yes
The Shins
Brian Eno

Whew. There's always more than that that I'm listening to, but those would be favorites. All right.

-Chris

Joggy

Reaction score
Amy

What Robbie Williams music do you like best? His Sinatra covers (Swing While You're Winning) or his more modern works (Sing While You're Winning)? I prefer the former... that man is such a fine singer!

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Wow. There are so many that I either forget to list them, can't remember who they are, or don't feel like listing 'em. So anyway, this is what I listen to quite a bit...

--Paul Simon
--The Beatles
--They Might Be Giants
--Classical music. I just love that stuff.

There's more, but I gave my reasons as to why they're not up there...