Oscars 2014

mr3urious

Reaction score
This is the place to discuss the 86th Annual Academy Awards, which are coming on March 2 of this year, and will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. Here are the nominees, for those who would like to know.

I feel like Gravity would take home Best Visual Effects, seeing as how they're supposed to feel genuinely disorienting as if you're really in space.

I can't believe Monsters University wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature, yet The Croods was, which looks the most unremarkable of them all. I hope anything but that takes home the Oscar.

Also, Bad Grandpa is nominated for Best Makeup. What an achievement. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't believe Monsters University wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature, yet The Croods was, which looks the most unremarkable of them all. I hope anything but that takes home the Oscar.
The Croods was surprisingly good, but it's best asset was the amazing visuals. If there was an animation technical award, it would deserve it. I regret cheaping out and not seeing it in 3-D. Though I do agree it's a huge disappointment Monsters University wasn't nominated. But then again, that movie gets a huge load of undeserved crap because it's a prequel, and everyone's looking to take Pixar down a peg because they dared to make Cars 2. :rolleyes: I guess reaction to Brave winning was that bad that they decided to screw over Pixar. Seriously... it should have gone to Paranorman last year.

On the other hand, at least Planes wasn't nominated. :electric:

But the REAL story is they actually nominated a Miyazaki film. It's clearly not going to win (my money's on Frozen), but it's nice that the crusty old Academy actually acknowledges Japan's animated films. NONE of Satashi Kon's films even got nominated and Crappy Feet won an award. Kon was a master. The closet thing to an Oscar his films got was Black Swan winning. And the director of that pretty much copied Perfect Blue. I liked that movie, so I'll say it was an homage. A very hefty homage. But these Japanese films never win. They are the high art anime that get ignored by haters that only know annoying fan girls and Pokemon. That said, my sister's probably disappointed. Madoka Magica's third film was on the Oscar short list.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The Croods was surprisingly good, but it's best asset was the amazing visuals. If there was an animation technical award, it would deserve it. I regret cheaping out and not seeing it in 3-D. Though I do agree it's a huge disappointment Monsters University wasn't nominated. But then again, that movie gets a huge load of undeserved crap because it's a prequel, and everyone's looking to take Pixar down a peg because they dared to make Cars 2. :rolleyes: I guess reaction to Brave winning was that bad that they decided to screw over Pixar. Seriously... it should have gone to Paranorman last year.

On the other hand, at least Planes wasn't nominated. :electric:

But the REAL story is they actually nominated a Miyazaki film. It's clearly not going to win (my money's on Frozen), but it's nice that the crusty old Academy actually acknowledges Japan's animated films. NONE of Satashi Kon's films even got nominated and Crappy Feet won an award. Kon was a master. The closet thing to an Oscar his films got was Black Swan winning. And the director of that pretty much copied Perfect Blue. I liked that movie, so I'll say it was an homage. A very hefty homage. But these Japanese films never win. They are the high art anime that get ignored by haters that only know annoying fan girls and Pokemon. That said, my sister's probably disappointed. Madoka Magica's third film was on the Oscar short list.
I bet my money on Despicable Me 2

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like the heavy rain expected over the weekend might put a damper on the red carpet festivities. Not that I really care, of course.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Say what you will about MacFarline hosting last year. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have live musical performances back. The one from 2 years ago was a dreadful embarrassment for not performing the skimpy 2 nominees. And that's not a Muppet bias. They put zero effort into the song category back in '12.

I really hope they don't do another extremely embarrassing Cirque du So Lame piece. Man, how emotionally manipulative and self important was it when they did that "tribute to what going to the movies feels like" thing?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really hope they don't do another extremely embarrassing Cirque du So Lame piece. Man, how emotionally manipulative and self important was it when they did that "tribute to what going to the movies feels like" thing?
It's bad enough Microsoft had them during E3 four years ago as a tribute to what flailing your arms around like a complete tool is like. :rolleyes:

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Say what you will about MacFarline hosting last year. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have live musical performances back.
(Some of the text below is in white in case anyone here is easily triggered)

Yes, such riveting musical acts! Such as the one where he jokes about the exposure of women's breasts directly to said actresses, some of them were visibly uncomfortable because, not only was it personal, some of the said scenes involved rape.

Oh and let's not forget how he made an incredibly indecent joke about the age of a NINE YEAR OLD GIRL in front of said nine year old girl, whom the Oscars was supposed to be one of the most memorable nights of her life.

Say what you will about Seth Macfalane, he is still a massive ******.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I think Ellen DeGeneres is very funny and she will do GREAT as a host.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, such riveting musical acts! Such as the one where he jokes about the exposure of women's breasts directly to said actresses, some of them were visibly uncomfortable because, not only was it personal, some of the said scenes involved rape.

Oh and let's not forget how he made an incredibly indecent joke about the age of a NINE YEAR OLD GIRL in front of said nine year old girl, whom the Oscars was supposed to be one of the most memorable nights of her life.

Say what you will about Seth Macfalane, he is still a massive ******.
You realize of course, I was talking about the musical performances of the Oscar Nominated songs. Remember, back in the 2012 telecast, even though we had 2 songs (and again, no Muppet bias here) they didn't have the time or effort to perform either of them. But they had enough time for that emotionally manipulative, self important Cirque DooDoo stuff.

Seriously, the 2012 Oscars sucked. If it wasn't for the 2013 awards, they would have completely done away with the (again) OSCAR NOMINATED song performances. Those are often the highlight of the show. Remember Robin Williams doing "Blame Canada?" One of the wackiest, funniest moments I've ever seen. 2012... err... well, Kermit and Piggy did something (the aforementioned Cirque crap)... the rest of it was such an utter snoozefest.

As for Seth... soft soap too offensive for overly sensitive people/not offensive enough for his actual fans aside, at least he didn't hobble about with the same tired cliches of self insertion in a movie (Bill Crystal, I love yah, but do try something different next time), nor did they have completely irrelevant, pretentious acrobatics. I'm sorry, but if I watch the Oscars I expect movie based material, not "look how fancy we can be." And yes. His humor is douchy. It didn't work for a larger, mainstream, (and frankly older) audience (he was amazing in SNL, which is why it was slightly disappointing, I'll agree). It was clearly too much too fast. But he brought the music (again, Oscar Nominated songs) that the academy was all but willing to get rid of. If nothing else, we got that wonderful performance of Skyfall by Adelle we wouldn't have got if someone else hosted. We probably would have gotten Stomp or some crap like that about not pirating movies instead.