Oscar puppet question

goshposh

Reaction score
if the oscar puppet that is being used now is the same one since '70 then how does the smithsonian have one too?

doctort13

Reaction score
I have met Caroll a few times, and even "guarded" Oscar for him. He told me that the only original parts of Oscar from 1969 are the eyes & mechanism to make him blink. The rest gets rebuilt every several years.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I've seen the Oscar puppet at the Smithsonian up close, and in my honest opinion, I believe Muppet workshop built that particular one from scratch just for the purposes of the museum.

That Oscar version does not resemble any version of Oscar from any era of the show.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
I have met Caroll a few times, and even "guarded" Oscar for him. He told me that the only original parts of Oscar from 1969 are the eyes & mechanism to make him blink. The rest gets rebuilt every several years.
Well, it's good you have that avatar so we can keep the memory of the original Oscar alive. Lol.

doctort13

Reaction score
I am certain that seeing the original Oscar (both on TV and in person) as a child helped me decide my favourite colour.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
I've seen the Oscar puppet at the Smithsonian up close, and in my honest opinion, I believe Muppet workshop built that particular one from scratch just for the purposes of the museum.

That Oscar version does not resemble any version of Oscar from any era of the show.
We've talked about this in another thread (that I'm too lazy to look up), but I think Smithsonian Oscar is a photo poser. I don't think they would have built one for the museum. The Smithsonian doesn't display replicas.

In fact, after Norman Lear donated Archie and Edith Bunker's chairs to the museum, they decided to do more episodes and replicas had to be built for the TV show!

:stick_out_tongue: