Original retail Whatnots from 70's

stupendousman

Reaction score
Back when I was a kid, we'd go to the local Hill's department store to look at the toys, and they always had the complete assortment of whatever Muppet/Sesame Street puppets that would be available. As a kid who was really into puppets, this was a great place to spend some time.

I remember though going one time and they had a "Whatnot" puppet. It was in the same style box, featuring all the same art and logos as the others (Fisher Price I think), but it had the puppet along with a couple of different sets of eyes, ears, noses and hair. They only had one and the box had been opened and it looked like pieces where missing, so Mom wouldn't get it for me. We went back several times looking for new stock, but none came. I was really bummed for a long time over that. I remember it clearly and vividly because it was the first time I'd seen the "Whatnot" terminology used to describe a puppet with multiple accessories and thought that this concept was really cool. This was probably back around 1979-1980.

I've done some searches, but all I can find is info on the newer FAO Schwartz Whatnots. Does anyone else have any info on this piece? I'm guessing not a lot where made, because that was the only time I ever saw one in a retail store, though I think they might have been in a catalog as well.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I don't know what your talking about exactly but in the 80s or 90s I believe they did make some what nots. My brother uses one for videos he makes.
Its the purple one in this video here (He's made some modifications).

DannyRWW

Reaction score
OOO I like that one... I searched for anything muppet too and couldn't find that... nice though.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Wow. They should still make them. They look great.

Anyone know how much they sell for?

muppfozz

Reaction score
:smile:I have the whatnots you are talking about. I have to take a look in the closet to see what I actually have .....Just a minute.....

muppfozz

Reaction score
Okay....I found ....Crazy creations kit , 19 pieces .It has two Balls and lots of face parts to make different faces. I think I got them from a bookstore. I also found...a clear bag with two muppets a red one , a blue one. there are also lots of pieces---like legs, hands, eyes,ears etc. also found ....craft kits 1. hand puppetss to look like muppets out of cardboard, 2.mask mania, and 3.finger puppets all of these are from the Jim Henson's Muppet Workshop . By playskool and the crafts are by golden books. If I remember they all came from the same bookstore. :cool: