Opinions on Muppets From Space?

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
Muppets From Space was a divided movie when it comes to opinions. Some people liked it, some people hated it. I personally think it's mediocre compared to many of the films, because it lacks the personality of the others. What do you think?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppets From Space was in the wrong hands. Just all over in the wrong hands. Sony screwed it up, both directors screwed it up, the script had too many passes on it, and somehow they wanted a space film because Star Wars episode 1 came out. Just all over a wave of ennui, apathy, and ego where ego wasn't due.

Brian should have directed the film from the start, but they wanted to hire some outside director who had "no vision" and because of some stupid Clint Eastwood law, the directors guild doesn't allow you to fire the director only to put yourself back in the director's seat. So they got the guy who did direction on Spongebob and Action League Now who didn't know how the Muppets worked and seemed utterly fascinated in wrong genres of music and house painting to ruin the script and the ending.

Seems like most of the cast didn't give 2 craps and phoned it in, explaining Stepford Kermit and idiot 5 year old Fozzie, but the newer cast members had a ball. And that shows painfully obvious as the newer characters manage to steal every scene they are in. On the plus side, Bobo and Jeffery Tambor have amazing chemistry, and their scenes are some of the highlights of the film.

Make no mistake. When the film is good it's pretty good. The Nightmare, the Brick House scene, the breakfast scene, Bobo and Jeffery, the hot tub party ("Who cut Gonzo's cake?") the rats in the lab, Dr. VanNeuter... that stuff is GOLD! If the rest of the movie could have been at that level, it would have been a much better movie. But the director went for mundanities and a dumbed down script with the nuance removed. Any character that wasn't Gonzo, Pepe, Bobo, Rizzo, or the gag characters that had at least one glorious line was turned into a caricature or a personality devoid contractual appearance.

I did like it better than MCC. MCC is technically a better film, but at least MFS wasn't dull most of the time. A LOT of the time, but not most of it.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
Very interesting! Thanks! I think another weak point is the whole rat back story. I found it to be really annoying. No original song is so true, that's something that almost ruined it for me. I really didn't like Jeffrey tambor either. I'm not a fan of his at all.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I mean when I first watched it about a year ago today it was the third muppet film I watched, and honestly I loved it! I thought it was the 2nd best muppet movie ever. But after watching the original trilogy and the new ones my love for the film drastically plummeted! I mean my first R.T. rating for the film would be 91%, but now it'd be like 70%. Really, as a movie in general MFS is a decent film, but by comparing it to the big leauge likes of TMM and GMC then this movie feels like a DTV. I like the film, I still watch my DVD from time-to-time mildy chuckling at some parts, but come on so many people were OOC! I don't understand why Oz's characters were in the spotlight so much considering Oz just dubbed the voice, were they trying to mess with him or something?! Also, it's annoying how there are NO REAL JERRY NELSON CHARACTERS IN BASICALLY THE WHOLE FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Statler and Robin have some lines during the film's first 20 minutes, but until we reach like the 75 minute mark with Ubergonzo, he's out of sight!! But, overal I think it's a decent film, I mean there was good stuff like Muppet Labs, Brick House, and a bit more, but honestly this film lacked muppet mojo.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Very interesting! Thanks! I think another weak point is the whole rat back story.

Yeah, that's another odd point. Rizzo is allowed to live like a human, and yet they send him to a testing lab against his will just because he's a rat? I kinda want to say that about the other lab rats as well. With so many animals acting like humans, it's weird to see characters treated the way those animals might be treated in real life (the disadvantage ways, that is). Maybe it's not too different from the rats scaring customers at Sardi's or any of the many live Muppet animals The Swedish Chef has tried to cook, but it does feel worse.

And on the point of why the humans all believe Gonzo while the Muppets don't, it's sort of odd that the general isn't aware. So maybe he didn't/doesn't watch UFO Mania, maybe he doesn't even watch much TV at all (he seems like the kind of person who wouldn't). But he could probably hear a lot of word-of-mouth about an alien who announced that he was an alien on TV.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Muppets From Space? What do I need to say? Fine, I'll go in-depth.
Okay, I loved the Muppet scenes when they are in the house, because it has a Muppety feel to it all. It was also the ( first? ) appearance of Clifford in a Muppet movie.
But, the plot seemed a little weak, and at some times, it seemed too complicated and too simple, if you know what I mean. Not saying that any of the Muppet writers did a bad job or anything.

My rating ( out of 10) = 8 or 8.5 stars

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well I think MFS is a nice film to watch. I've never seen it in a theater, but from what I've heard it's better watching it on tv, I mean it's not the bottom of muppet films, 9)The Muppet Christmas Carol and 10)The Muppets Wizard of Oz back it up so it's not at the bottom, so it's 8/10 muppet films (tv films included), so let me put in some pros and cons

PROS
  • Muppet Boarding House Scenes (INCLUDING "BRICK HOUSE")​
  • C.O.V.N.E.T Breakout Scenes with :smile: :embarrassed: :mad: :rolleyes: :halo:
  • Muppet Labs​
  • Celebration​
  • Bobo ('nuff said)​
  • Van Neuter Scene​
  • Survival​
CONS
  • Kermit gets little to do​
  • Gonzo doesn't want his brain sucked out!​
  • The final scene at Cape Doom BEFORE CELEBRATION (Drags on too long)​
  • Besides :halo: :smile: :embarrassed: :concern: :mad: :shifty: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:and Bobo none of the other muppets have real roles!​
  • Not enough locations (think of TMM, GMC, MTM, TM, MMW, and MTI and how many places we saw, THEN MFS, COVNET, Cape Doom, Boarding House, and UFO Mania Live HQ, UHH....​
  • Cameos are weak​
  • Tambor: too black-and-white for an antagonistic role​

Eyeball

Reaction score
Well I think MFS is a nice film to watch. I've never seen it in a theater, but from what I've heard it's better watching it on tv, I mean it's not the bottom of muppet films, 9)The Muppet Christmas Carol and 10)The Muppets Wizard of Oz back it up so it's not at the bottom, so it's 8/10 muppet films (tv films included), so let me put in some pros and cons

PROS
  • Muppet Boarding House Scenes (INCLUDING "BRICK HOUSE")​
  • C.O.V.N.E.T Breakout Scenes with :smile: :embarrassed: :mad: :rolleyes: :halo:
  • Muppet Labs​
  • Celebration​
  • Bobo ('nuff said)​
  • Van Neuter Scene​
  • Survival​
CONS
  • Kermit gets little to do​
  • Gonzo doesn't want his brain sucked out!​
  • The final scene at Cape Doom BEFORE CELEBRATION (Drags on too long)​
  • Besides :halo: :smile: :embarrassed: :concern: :mad: :shifty: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:and Bobo none of the other muppets have real roles!​
  • Not enough locations (think of TMM, GMC, MTM, TM, MMW, and MTI and how many places we saw, THEN MFS, COVNET, Cape Doom, Boarding House, and UFO Mania Live HQ, UHH....​
  • Cameos are weak​
  • Tambor: too black-and-white for an antagonistic role​
i think you hit the nail on the head there with this analysis Muppet Master though i dont agree that tambor was too black and white, imo tambor is a massive plus in MFS, also did anyone else absolutely hate the type of music they used in it?