Oneness Honors Henson, others for contributions to racial harmony

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Third Annual 'Power Of Oneness' Awards to Honor Michael Jackson, Ed Begley, Jr., The Jim Henson Company, Dr. Joy DeGruy-Leary and Brad Gluckstein for Their Contributions to Racial Harmony
October 31, 2003 5:29pm
PR Newswire

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Michael Jackson, Ed Begley, Jr., and The Jim Henson Company will be among the illustrious honorees at the Third Annual Power of Oneness Awards to be held November 15th at the Universal Studios Hollywood Globe Theater in California.

Michael Jackson will receive The Power of Oneness Lifetime Achievement Award for his lifelong commitment to writing, singing and speaking about the need for us to take responsibility for the worlds children and making the our world a better place. "Man in the Mirror", "Heal the World", "Black & White", "Lost Children", "We Are the World", and "What More Can I Give" are but a few of the inspiring songs Michael has recorded during his career, showing by example how music can be used to entertain, heal and educate.

Also being honored at this year's Power of Oneness Awards are: The Jim Henson Company for working tirelessly to fulfill its mission to "make the world a better place by inspiring people to celebrate life" while teaching children to celebrate diversity and value harmony; Ed Begley, Jr. for writing, producing and directing "Cesar & Ruben" a powerful stage play honoring Cesar Chavez and his commitment to fighting racism and oppression; Dr. Joy DeGruy-Leary for her groundbreaking work in the field of race relations and her dedication to the healing of wounds inflicted by chattel slavery on the collective American psyche; and Brad Gluckstein for his unconditional support of the Oneness mission to eliminate racism and promote racial unity through music, the arts and education and his contributions to providing live Latin music here in Los Angeles.

The 2003 Power of Oneness Awards ceremony will be preceded by a dinner & silent auction; items for auction have been donated by Universal Music, Michael Jackson, Carlos Santana, artist Romero Britto, Tiffany & Co., and many more. The awards program (written and directed by off-Broadway playwright and choreographer, Kamal Sinclair-Steele) promises to be a vibrant fusion of dance, music, multi-media, spoken-word and theatrical presentations representing a vivid celebration of the creativity and diversity of the human family -- a celebration of our oneness.

To purchase tickets, arrange corporate sponsorships, or convey a message to one of our honorees, call Oneness at 818-710-8382 or visit the Oneness website at www.oneness.org .

ABOUT ONENESS

Since 1999, Oneness (a 501c3 nonprofit) has instituted over thirty programs nationwide to help eradicate racism and promote racial harmony by engaging participating communities in educational initiatives, collaborations with like-minded organizations and dialogues that create an awareness of and a commitment to the need for racial unity. Oneness' long list of supporters includes Carlos Santana, Sarah McLachlan, Brian McKnight, Ricky Martin, B.B. King, Macy Gray, Melissa Etheridge, and many others.

Copyright © 2003 PR Newswire

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Wow--I think this is definitely an honor to be proud of. Jim Henson and the Jim Henson Company have been able to reach so many people with such a simple and profound message.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
that sounds to me like a wondrefull and great acevment for JHC. i hope that they keep up the work of there late founder for a long time. I know that right now there are some shaky times for the compony but i know they wil be able to get through it. Belevie in the dream and it will come true folow your Ranibow and we will be together agine becaues love lead us here and im going back ther some day.