Once Upon My Heart.

Leyla

Reaction score
Sorry... I didn't mean to make you feel badly. It's really just a little thing that I have a quirk about. I still love your story though!

green stuff

Reaction score
I will tomorrow, guys. I absolutely promise. I went back to school and work on Monday, so needless to say, I am BUSSSSAYY! But, I still have obligations to all of you here, and I do want you to read the rest of the story, otherwise I wouldn't have post it in the first place. So--since tomorrow's the weekend, I will for sure post some more story--come penguins or high water. You have the word of GreenStuff.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I look forward to it greatly!

And I know what you mean- I'm back in school, and Hebrew School starts soon... Life is getting busy again...

green stuff

Reaction score
‘’Xia heu, Xia, ming,
Yi ge xia wo ciao jintian.
Wo zhu wo jiu, wo zhu wo neng,
Yi ge xia wo cia jintian.’’
(In English: Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, first star I see tonight.)

Later that Night……
‘’
You’ve got to follow, follow your star.
You’ve got to follow, no matter how far…..’’

Robin allowed his voice to trail off as he lowered his hand from the guitar he had been strumming. From the widow seat in his room, he stared up at the sky, not looking for anything but the answers. His answers. He wanted to know what it all meant, what it was all about. Unfortunately for him, if it was one thing that Robin had learned in life, it was that he never found the answers when he was actually looking for them. Ironic, he thought. ‘It’s always when I’m looking for something else that I find something I didn’t even know I was looking for.’ At this thought, he let a small smile creep across his face.

‘’Why is everything so confusing?’’ Robin wondered aloud. ‘’Just what is the meaning of it all? I sure wish somebody could tell me.’’ He strummed a few more notes absently on his guitar, when he spotted what he had been looking for all night: his one and only star. Since childhood, just talking to the star made him feel better about any issue he was addressing at the time, be it a fear of girls, or the confusion in the meaning of life. It made him feel like someone out there was listening, someone was watching, someone cared. It made him feel good, like there was a greater power that was taking care of him.

‘’Oh, tell me star, what should I do? I’m so lost and confused.’’ For just a minute, if Robin didn’t know better, he would say that the star actually responded. For a split second, he could’ve sworn that the star grew bigger and brighter, and vanished in the blink of an eye. Startled, Robin threw his head back, letting his guitar clang to the floor. He wondered, ’Is it even possible for a star to do that? Maybe I should have paid more attention is astronomy today.’ He rubbed his eyes, and looked up again at the sky. To his surprise, it looked as if nothing had happened. ‘Maybe it hadn’t. Maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. Maybe this is just my mind’s way of telling me to go to sleep. Maybe it was my imagination.’ Maybe…..just maybe….

A flash of insight hit Robin like lightning, and he scooped up his guitar from the floor. Slowly, he began to play ‘When You Wish Upon a Star’ until he felt a cold beam of moonshine touch his face. He looked up into the sky again, and did the only thing he knew how to:

‘’Star light, Star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
First star I see tonight.

Silently, he made his wish- a secret, innermost wish from deep inside his heart. It was a wish he felt would solve his problems and calm his fears; one he felt would fix everything. Naturally, Robin looked at the star one last time before climbing off the window seat. The star shined down on him like an old friend in a time of need.

‘’Thank you, star,’’ Robin said with a grin. ‘’I just wish you could tell me what it is I need. I wish you could tell me more.’’

Sighing, Robin climbed off the window seat, and prepared himself for bed. Back at the window, though, something beautiful happened. If only Robin had stayed there for a minute longer, if only he had kept looking, if only if only he weren’t so distracted, he would have seen a falling star dance across the sky, right in the sight of his window. Magic right before his very eyes- if only he had been watching.

‘’Good night, star,’’ Robin mumbled as he turned off the light. Just then, high, high up in the sky, came a voice, the voice of the star. It had been quiet all this time, and now was the time for it to make itself known in the world.
‘’So you have wished it Robin, and so it shall be. And so it shall be.’’

green stuff

Reaction score
Ok, yeah, I just wanted to point out something here. I know you guys are smart, and have probably already figured this out here, but something cool had just happened right out from under Robin's nose---in a way. Remember how Robin had to find something that he wanted in order to find out what to do about his dream? Well--Robin just wished for it, and he doesn't even know it!! All right, that's all for now, just wanted to say that. Chapter 5 coming up soon, guys!!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
OHHHHH!

Oh the star! Oh, "And so it shall be!" OHHHH!

Oh it's such a perfect, such a lovely scene! Oh I can't wait! OH it's lovely! Oh I adore it! OHHHHHHHHHHH! Oh I love how he isn't sure if the star did what it did, how maybe it was his eyes, maybe he needed to sleep... OHHHH!

MORE PLEASE!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with most of Lisa's thoughts.

Liked the nod to The Impossible Dream, the snatch of verses Robin was singing in his room.
And if only he had stayed at the window seat, or is that a widow seat, a little longer to see the dancing shooting star.

Something else... Liked the translation of Starlight, Starbright at the beginning in Chinese. Gives me hope of seeing Penny Panda and her daughter come back into this story at some point down the road.

Leyla

Reaction score
Yay! More story!

Star stuff is always lovely in the Muppets. The beginning was very interesting. What language is that, by the way?

I'm going through this teenage Robin thing at the moment, and so teenage Robin hits me particularly hard. Lovely bit of introspection here with him. Growing up is not easy, and there's something sweet, touching, and heartrending about watching as the little guy struggles through all these issues.

I'm dying of curiosity about the specifics of Robin's secret wish and I enjoyed him playing the guitar. Kermit and his banjo, Robin and his guitar... nice parallels.

Keep up the good work!

green stuff

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your compliments, everyone! Leyla--The language at the beginning of the chapter is in Mandarin Chinese, my natural language. What I was actually going for...well, I'm trying to say this without giving too much away here...well someone in that part is saying starlight, slar bright in chinese, and then robin says it later in english. When I reveal later in the story who says it, you'll understand. The next chapter is coming up soon!