On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Charles Schulz said to find the funniest word to describe something.

Cucumber isn't as funny as Zucchinni (sp?). Snake isn't as funny sounding as Asp. Gord is funnier than head, as in: "He fell down but was okay, he landed on his gord."

DTF

Reaction score
Right; when i've done comedy tapes, like for my nieces and nephews who are missionary kids, i've changed the "old lady who swallowed a fly" bit to have the doctor saying that the old lady is "zonked out of her gourd/gord!' That does sound a lot funnier than the way Ernie says it in what I posted, but OTOH, that just didn't sound like Ernie to say "zonked out of her gourd." (Hmmm, although Bert *might* have. So, maybe I could have used that anyway. You do have to keep in character when doing that.)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's definitely VERY important when doing fan-fictions to stay in character.

DTF

Reaction score
Perhaps you could come to fanfiction.net and explain why to some of the writers of various sitcoms I like; I just can't seem to get through to them.

"Full House" in particular, but there are others. There are still some very good writers, though, who use creative ideas without changing the characters. (Like Stephanie molding an Australian-style Principal's Assistant position for herself - it is possible a school in experiment-heavy San Francisco would try that, and the character was ripe for being developed that way, being so perky, sure of herself, and so on.)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I barely have time to visit MC anymore, but feel free to share any advice or information you learn here with folks at the other forums you visit. Another thing I preach is "lead by example," so if you feel that your work could be more inspirational to others, in your statement about your writing explain that you're keeping in character with the fanfic and why it's important to you.

I don't want to read a fanfic about Grover and it not be Grover they're writing about, but some other character they created using the likness and name of Grover. I won't read it as a matter of fact if fiction isn't in the personality and integrity of the character, and I also can't seem to bring myself to call someone a fan of anything if they begin changing things to meet their own personal agendas rather than letting the characters live on as they were intended to.

Did that make sense or did I just go all Dr. Seuss?

DTF

Reaction score
What you said makes a lot of sense. i do think an "alternate universe" where some *episode* happens different is viable, but as we both say, the people still have to react to the situation the way the characters would.

I have written literally dozens of "FUll House" stories, as well as a number of other ones. I have remarked about staying in character, but not as much why. I've got almost no time to write anymore, but I thnk I have helped some to think, at least.

I think the whole "mary Sue" thing gets a bad rap - if a person whats a character to act like *they* want them to act, that's fine - it's only a Mary Sue/Marty Stu (for male ones) if the charactr is perfect or just happens to always come along at the right time. Otherwise, it's perfectly legitimate to include one's own characters, and have the characters int he fandom react to you.
ise. (
A perfect example if the Sam Series done by my good friend RKORadio on fanfiction.net - he created a very realistic neglected girl who the middle Tanner child, Stephanie, wound up helping even as a kid, and who developed into someone who saw Steph as her mother figure. The character development is xcellent, and lots of fun. He picked out the character most likely to be able to help and bond with this troubled child, and crafted an entire series around her. Actually tied in some Full Hoise. (use books so they made more sense than they might have otherwise. (I don't know of any 12-year-old who could ever be given use of her dad's credit cards, like Steph is in one book. *However*, if she's handled some things with an incredible amount of responsibility, than he might..)

Sorry, I'm rambling now; I invite anyone who is interested to check out RKORadio's work at fanfiction.net. It's a great example of inventing one's own characters.

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
Monster Street

:smile:
Nathan Davey's
Pupptry Workshop
Presents

MONSTER STREET​
I, Nathan davey have began Pre-Production on my own muppet styled film, it's a mix between AVENUE Q & MEET THE FEEBLES.
Mr posh noodle lives on sweet street, a nice place. but one day when he's late for work he goes down an alleyway to cut through the town. he is now trapped and suck in the alley known as MONSTER STREET. with strip clubs, drug venders on streets this is a nasty place.
posh falls in love with the night club dancer Sweet-(played by guest star Mokey Fraggle) her father finds out and sends his henchmen to get him;
Alex De Large (Clockwork Orange)
Pennywise (IT)
Bill & harry the drunks
Posh makes freinds in Monster Street to survive;
Crazy WW2 guy,
Fuzzy Bunny,
and all his freinds from Sweet street;
Sir Mac William,
Hippie Monster,
and many more including guest stars from Sesame street & the muppets
posh soon discovers that these people need help so, him and his freinds try to make these evil puppets good.​

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I think you made a great point about writing them in a word document first.

I'm doing that with the one i'm writing (i'm currently working on a big fanfic that will feature characters from Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock all interacting with each other, i have a long ways to go, but i'll post it eventually)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It helps to do the whole story first and then post chapters later. That way, your continuity is good, you don't have to go back and change anything or you won't write yourself into a corner.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I have been writing fanfic online for different fandoms for other ten years now but have just lately decided to do a Fraggle fic. I was wondering if someone had any advice about writing song lyrics? I've written songs for fics before but never for anything like the muppet world.. Thank you so much for your time :smile: