On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

Leyla

Reaction score
There's always going to be a part of yourself in your writing, I think because writing is a personal thing and we use our own experiences and understanding to shape the internal motivations of our characters. It doesn't always equate to putting yourself into a story however.

Ruahnna said:
Our dear Count, Ed, is currently hosting us all in extreme comfort in his Christmas fanfic, much like he hosts us in the dorms. If there is a "LMK-if-you-need-help guy" in this section of the board, it's darling Ed for sure. He is seeing to everyone's comfort and pleasure--he wants to make sure no one is excluded. Hugs.
Oh, you're so right about that. Can I join in on the Ed hugging? I'm joining in.
And while I'm at it, hugs for all the great writers around here... there's a lot of you and I'm so glad about that!

Lelya (hi there, love!)
*waves happily* Hiya!

is writing a story about a newcomer to the Muppet Dorsm, and she's a newbie to our family here even though she fits right in, just like Denise! Denise has a prior claim on one of the muppets (Piggy) because they have a history together, just like Leyla has been a long-time muppet fan.
Well, like Ed pointed out that's not my story, although I do really like it. I'm a sick, evil person who endorses cruelty to muppets, if only for the sake of killing them with kindness later on. To back up your excellent theory however, I work at an ice rink and did have to take care of a woman who fell and got a concussion. Some of that coloured Piggy's accident. (I wouldn't count on me for actual medical knowledge however!)

I like the stories around here and the positive atmosphere. What a warm and friendly place this is!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Leyla said:
There's always going to be a part of yourself in your writing, I think because writing is a personal thing and we use our own experiences and understanding to shape the internal motivations of our characters. It doesn't always equate to putting yourself into a story however.!
Well said. I actually tried to write a better explanation after Java's post, but failed miserably. You, however, did a lovely job of explaining. I sometimes think of my fictional offspring as children. Like my real children, they come with a will of their own and I cannot always bend them to mine. Also like real children, they will express aspects of my personality, but not my whole personality. My birth children are strong-willed, very verbally oriented (ha!) and like to create things--it's pretty loud at my house most of the time.

Leyla said:
Well, like Ed pointed out that's not my story, although I do really like it. I'm a sick, evil person who endorses cruelty to muppets, if only for the sake of killing them with kindness later on. To back up your excellent theory however, I work at an ice rink and did have to take care of a woman who fell and got a concussion. Some of that coloured Piggy's accident. (I wouldn't count on me for actual medical knowledge however!)
How mortifying! I did, in fact, know that Smiles was the author of that story, and you were writing “Something Worth Waiting For,” with Piggy in the hospital (now home) and not wanting Kermit to know. I cannot tell you how embarrassed I am, but here’s what happened while I was writing my previous post. I had started to make a note about your story, hence my “hi there” but as soon as I wrote your name, I remembered your comment about “weren’t we trying to fix Rowlf up with someone” (referencing The First Time It Happens by Nicole) and so—lest I lose my micro-fiber thread of thought, I wrote down my comments about her story, intending to go back and separate comments about you from her and….had so many interruptions from people who shall remain nameless (see above comments about children) that I didn’t post a very coherent post. Below, with apologies, are the comments I intended to make about YOUR story (which I’m enjoying very much).

Leyla is writing a story about Kermit being separated from the rest of the muppets and not really knowing what’s going on at home, much like she was recently separated from the rest of us by her exciting “camp” opportunity where she was only allowed to speak French. (Hence, Kermit went to France, I assume.) While Kermit is away and Piggy is in the hospital, Leyla felt “out of the loop” with what was going on in her “real life with us” on the muppet boards (as opposed to her actual real life). When she did return, as Piggy did to the boarding house, she had to “gear up” to get back into her writing mode. (As do we all, dear) Once she did, however, as I trust Piggy will soon do, she was back to her wonderful creative self.

Again, please accept my apologies and my absolute mortification at having not cleaned up my post before I sent it. (Puts hand over face like Fozzie—looks ashamed.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's OK Ru... Your comments are, as I said, a very good way of describing how we sort of think when investing ourselves into a story we're working on.
And I'm sure Leyla knew what you meant... Is okay.
Now come on... Post some more of that vonderful story of yours. Please?

Leyla

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
I sometimes think of my fictional offspring as children. Like my real children, they come with a will of their own and I cannot always bend them to mine. Also like real children, they will express aspects of my personality, but not my whole personality. My birth children are strong-willed, very verbally oriented (ha!) and like to create things--it's pretty loud at my house most of the time.
That's a great way of putting it, the comparison with children. You can't force ideas, and often they take you to unexpected places. I'm currently in a phase where I'm trying to only write short stories (Something Worth Waiting For being an exception) because long stories get very complicated if you aren't careful. Of course, that's part of the fun, and I love reading long stories. I'm just not always prepared for the effort of writing them myself.

Anyway, no worries about the mix up! Don't be embarrassed! I certainly didn't mind. I'm very easily distracted, and that's without kids vying for my attention. Hugs! You drew some interesting parallels with my life and the story which surprised me, 'cause I never really thought about that. Even things that are quite different from your circumstances can certainly influence you subconciously.

Again, apologies not necessary! (How could I be mad at my main source of ushy-gushyness? :smile: :mad: )

Effralyo

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
You know Ru, you are definatly right. Another pattern is in my Muppet stories, which are always involved with outcasts. Beauregard from Reanbu, Robin from his family, Fozzie and Gonzo (in Visions) from the world...not sure if there's any deeper meaning to that...
....so do I - Zeliboba, Effralyo & the rest Muppet Spirits from Zelirangoo, Cantus Fraggle from Tantaradeyra Village.... etc.etc.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Effralyo said:
....so do I - Zeliboba, Effralyo & the rest Muppet Spirits from Zelirangoo, Cantus Fraggle from Tantaradeyra Village.... etc.etc.
But really your stories are definatly more fluffy glarky gardyily tales, because you are an enthusiastic, glarky sort of person.

Effralyo

Reaction score
Thankees Ga:excited:die!
(Continue to the advice): Plus - 1) it's useful to show the casual life of the magic world the character is from - to explain some of their features,- and more of its inhabitants. And 2) Why can't anyone continue a fanfic they'd like to? Certainly, according the original one... EG, in Play, My Harmonica (which had quickly turned into the continue to What's on the Other side) I developed the description of Raenbu residents - there's not simply Beau and his family in there, but also a few more constant characters - Unca Beauciderbarrel, several Flower Salesmaids, Nancy Ginger (the queen) and others.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I have a new "rule" to offer up, gang. And it's not necessarily a rule as much as a really big suggestion. Whenever you open a new thread that is a fan fiction, please start the thread:

FANFIC: (Title)

That way, nobody will confuse the title of a fan fiction with a newsworthy item. I like the way that folks are including the word "outline" in their outlines for show idea fictions.

Effralyo

Reaction score
Well, good idea. And they would also start the pics thread with "MC ART: (name/title)."

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Small tip on dialogue, something I've learned from watching FR, esp. Jerry Juhl's episodes: if you can find a funnier, more colorful, or more specific way of having a character say something, do it. It adds depth and richness to the writing, taking a line or a joke from the level of mere functionality to the level of art. I'll be back with examples when I get a chance to write some down.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole