On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
I think it's Texas, actually. In the James Coburn episode, Banana Nose Moldanado's wanted poster said "State of Texas" on it.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
You have GOT to be the most smarter :wink: person about Muppet stuff than anybody I know! Again--you're my hero!

One of the things I've always said, gang, when playing the RPGs is that the character you perform must be performed to the full integrity of the character's personality. I desire seeing the same when I read any fan fictions.

If you DO plan to take an artistic license in your stories, please say so in your intro to the story so folks don't assume that your story is from Muppet research.

Or, I'll sic Gorgon Heap on you! LOL!! :halo:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Good point. And be carefull, I think, giving characters lastnames, religions, etc, because fan's reading will assume this to be the truth and thus perhaps fall into a trap in one of their stories. For example, I said that Grover gave the Fraggle Pebble back the next year, but someone missed that and would have sworn they saw Grover give it back in MFC.
You had to go and reference half of my fan-fics there didn't you Beau? :stick_out_tongue: :wink:

Oh well, at least I know you're reading them...:smirk:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
You have GOT to be the most smarter :wink: person about Muppet stuff than anybody I know! Again--you're my hero!

One of the things I've always said, gang, when playing the RPGs is that the character you perform must be performed to the full integrity of the character's personality. I desire seeing the same when I read any fan fictions.

If you DO plan to take an artistic license in your stories, please say so in your intro to the story so folks don't assume that your story is from Muppet research.

Or, I'll sic Gorgon Heap on you! LOL!! :halo:
Naturally, and someone elses.

I agree with Foz. If you introduce something new say so, or folks will get confused! peaking of which, what thread am I in again?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Best piece of writing advice I ever got

My favorite writing professor (Dr. Bob) used to always say, "There is a difference between standing on a box and looking in a window and seeing something happen and having someone else stand on a box and look in a window and tell you what they see. If you find you are standing on the box--GET OFF, and put your gentle reader up there instead." "Get off the box" has become shorthand in my circle for getting in the way of your own story by over-narrating.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That is a great discriptive way of putting that Ruahnna! Also, welcome to MC! I see you arrived ages ago but havn't posted much!

Effralyo

Reaction score
Just the thing I always try to follow. If something's wrong for your character, it must be wrong also for you. (Even if your opinion disagrees with theirs.)

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Yes, I find that characters take on a life of their own whether they are yours are other people's characters.
I've been noticing something about all of us that write fanfic, but I've been debating about whether or not to say it lest I get shot by a million penquin cannons or pelted with stale muffins, but, well, here it is: We all seem to tell our story over and over again.
I have been writing since I was about the age of some of you whippersnappers, and I would have been affronted if someone had suggested to me that I would ever include a MJ characters. I certainly know better, at least. And yet, and yet, when I look back over my latest fanfic (Kermie's Girl), darned if we don't have a lunatic seamstress (gulp) and a mole who likes to feed people (double yikes). I also have a scummy reporter, but he's a real muppet, not my own creation, and I'm trying not to take it too personal that he's become such a scumbag while I'm writing him. And, if I may take the excessive liberty...
Our dear Count, Ed, is currently hosting us all in extreme comfort in his Christmas fanfic, much like he hosts us in the dorms. If there is a "LMK-if-you-need-help guy" in this section of the board, it's darling Ed for sure. He is seeing to everyone's comfort and pleasure--he wants to make sure no one is excluded. Hugs.
In her latest story, Lisa has taken on the role of patient chronicler of "the whole thing." She's detail-oriented and likes to make everything work together. (There is that slight abberation of Kermit having had a former wife and child, but that's not interfering significantly with the story she is so patiently re-telling.) She's our town historian, so to speak.
Lelya (hi there, love!) is writing a story about a newcomer to the Muppet Dorsm, and she's a newbie to our family here even though she fits right in, just like Denise! Denise has a prior claim on one of the muppets (Piggy) because they have a history together, just like Leyla has been a long-time muppet fan.
Sara is telling us with many of her stories that she is a warm and loving person looking for someone worthwhile to share herself with--whether it's her writing, or her affection, or her artwork. (Hope I'm not seeming to familiar, dear.) Also, she is writing about how a new baby Gonzoid is being warmly accepted into the muppet fold, which is both an expression of her generous nature and a hope to stay close to her muppet family.
That's not everybody, sure, and I hope I've not offended anyone by pointing out what I see. Anybody else want to comment?

Java

Reaction score
I would think that the reason for that is our best writing comes from what we feel and know the most. So we stick to those roles, even when writing, because they are the most familair and true to us.

Beauregard

Reaction score
You know Ru, you are definatly right. Another pattern is in my Muppet stories, which are always involved with outcasts. Beauregard from Reanbu, Robin from his family, Fozzie and Gonzo (in Visions) from the world...not sure if there's any deeper meaning to that...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
In troth Catherine... *Hugs to you.
That sounded quite possibly as the best way to explain ourselves in author mode here on the boards.
Guess that counting completist nature comes through sometimes in my work.

Oh, and a little thing to clear up...
Nicole, known as smiles, is the author of the story with Denise the Cow... She's been AWOL for too long though.
Leyla's story is the one that put Piggy in the hospital after one of Gonzo's stunts went horribly wrong.

That aside, it's rully great to have such a wealth of authors here on the boards, giving us all the treat of an inwards glimpse into how they conceive the multiple facets of the Muppet Worlds.
Here's hoping to everyone updating their stories soon, cause we love to read a good story... And there have certainly been some good stories posted here on the boards.