On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

Slackbot

Reaction score
Personally, while I'll read and be nice to stories that are ... rather ... bare in the description department, I prefer stories written as though publishing was honestly a thought that crossed their minds.
In my opinion, the act of posting a story qualifies as publishing it. When you post a story, you are asking others to spend their time and resources reading your work. I'm not quibbling over the definition here--I'm stating that a story should be taken seriously even though it's not typeset on dead trees.
I truly despise "script" stories, namely because they aren't really written as script but just lines of dialogue that assumes you can read the author's mind about what is going on, as the dialogue is rarely helpful. Now, I'll give a favorable review anyway if I can see a wonderful story concept ... but to me, they are ONLY a concept, not a "real" story. And don't get me started on "outlines" ... those have to be the most pointless things ever (no offense to those who post them).
In the words of Larry Niven, one of my three all-time favorite authors and the one who has been the strongest influence on my writing style, "It is a sin to waste the reader's time." I'd also apply that to unfinished stories, another pet peeve of mine. (And, no, not looking at anyone in specific, so let's not go off on a tangent. It's irritated me since I first got on the 'net in '94.)
good description helps set mood as well as move the plot. I could say that Jenny's office was cluttered with stuff ... or I could show the reader what was actually in her office, so that we would know some more about her character. What is better, saying Jenny's walls are covered in Broadway posters -- OR -- saying that Manhattan Melodies was slightly faded but framed on the wall?
In the words of Mark Twain, "Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream." Paint vivid pictures! Relevant details and sensory data will bring a story to life in the mind if the reader.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'll admit there are some huge gaps in how often I update my fanfics, while others I get done in only half a year. But I have to say at least lately, at least I have learnt how to make a story that can, at sometime or another, actually finally get an ending. I'm finally growing that ability to tell a whole story that is at least half as good as the one in my head at the ripe old age of 27. I think that should count for something..shouldn't it?

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Just for y'all's information, the actual title of my fanfiction is in fact "Super Muppets", not "Supper Muppets" (though that might make an interesting fanfiction to write closer to Thanksgiving).

Fraggline

Reaction score
Is it alright if I post a "trial story"? That is to say, I don't know yet if the dialogue really conforms to the characters or if any of them do things that aren't in their character. I'm not sure if I followed all of the qualifications (though I must say it's really good fanfic advice! I hope I followed it!:big_grin:).
And on this story, if it's a bad piece, I'll just delete it from the forum (if I can). I would actually really like criticism by anybody who reads it so I can know what I'm doing wrong!
...so is that okay?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It is my opinion to write the full story in advance and then do weekly updates by posting your chapters then.

As long as you write the story as a fan and keep the characters in their personalities, you should be okay.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I think it's okay to not have a fanfiction totally written in advanced. However, you should have it specifically outlined and know exactly where the story is going to go, and you should definitely have chapters already written before you post the first one, just so you'll have back up ones to post as you work on the future chapters. Just my personal opinion. :big_grin:

Fraggline

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Which reminds me, I oughta stop lagging behind on posting more chapters.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I had mine completely written and then posted them a chapter at a time. Short stories are good, too.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, for me, I find it easier to type it out in Word or some other program first, with 8pt Veranda as the default font. That way, if the connection crashes, you won't hit the roof 'cause the net lost your fic, LOL. Once you do that and have proofread it to your heart's content, you can start a new thread, with the title of the fic being the title of the thread. Then, all you have to do is select all your text, cut or copy the text, and paste the text into the post. Preview just to make extra sure the thing came out okay, and press submit or post or whatever the button is. Voila! Thy fic is on the way to greatness. :big_grin:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Or 12 pt NTR font if you enjoy reading/typing without killing your eyes like I do ^.^.