Old Sesame Street Muppet Puppets

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
This web page has great pictures of vintage Sesame Street puppets that were made in the 70's:

http://thedarkmask.com/sesame/sesame_street.htm
Those are neat. I actually have the Cookie Monster one. I've had him since I was just a little boy. I had an Ernie puppet too but it didn't look like the one in that picture.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Those are neat. I actually have the Cookie Monster one. I've had him since I was just a little boy. I had an Ernie puppet too but it didn't look like the one in that picture.

Oh, yes. I loved them. One reason Ernie might look different is because they made several different versions of them throughout the 70's and even somewhat during the 80's. The ones pictured are some of the earliest (possibly the earliest) that were made . I can tell because Cookie Monster and Oscar have a string to move their arms; that feature was omitted in later versions. Also, Bert has fuzzy eyebrows and plastic eyes glued on; in later versions of Bert, his eyebrows and eyes were just part of his rubber head. Big Bird was later made as a regular puppet and later versions of the Grover puppet had his head rounder, like the one on TV.

superfan

Reaction score
They're vintage! They're a little bit creepy! I love 'em!

That is one fierce looking Bert!!

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
They're vintage! They're a little bit creepy! I love 'em!

That is one fierce looking Bert!!

Creepy? How are they creepy? They are adorable!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I have some of those. I made a foam body for Ernie so his shirt didn't hang down limp like that.

:stick_out_tongue:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I owned the Cookie Monster, Oscar and Big Bird puppets (though I'd hardly consider the Big Bird doll a puppet. There was a small lever that barely moved his mouth). My best friend from the 3rd grade owned the Grover puppet, and my girlfriend's grandma once had the Bert puppet in her possession. Grover, Ernie, Bert and Big Bird were very, very hard puppets (Big Bird's face was a lethal weapon), but the other one's were very soft, and Cookie had a feature where you could stuff things into his mouth and through his body. I also owned an early Count puppet which came with a plastic arm wire. Pretty cool, except the toy makers didn't have a very good handle on his hair. He ultimately looked like he had a bad perm.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I have ALL of those, except my Big Bird had cloth legs.

Big Bird was puppeteered through a hole in the back of his head and when you pushed down on a little trigger it caused his bottom bill to go up.

I wish all mine were in as good a condition as all those are!

I also still have the head to Roosevelt Franklin.

There were others not pictured here of The Count, Sherlock Hemlock, Prof. Hastings (?), and more.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Fozzie muh man, I gotta tell ya, your icon scares me green (no pun intended). Frankenfoz is creepier than Sweetums and Uncle Deadly rolled into one. Must be that heavy brow of his.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, dear! And I just changed it to a new one! Maybe I need to change it back, then?

I have others at my home computer, but I have to wait until I'm back there to put the good ones on. OverUnderAround was nice enough to supply me with some good Halloween Avatars since my file has disappeared somehow off my computer! But these avatars are the days of FOZZIE HORROR! Brrrr!