Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

superboober

Reaction score
One thing I would have to wonder about is how many songs that might go on something like this they in fact own and which ones they'd have to clear with outside sources. Certainly the last thing any of us want to see is sketches we love edited for this reason.

SwedishChefCook

Reaction score
zns said:
This is all so exciting. :excited: If the sales on this DVD set work, maybe SW will consider releasing full episodes. One can only dream.:wink:
Wait. I thought these were gonna be full episodes. The term Nostalgia box set sounded to me like it was gonna be a set of old episodes. Now I'm confused. What does everyone else think it's gonna be?

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
SwedishChefCook said:
Wait. I thought these were gonna be full episodes. The term Nostalgia box set sounded to me like it was gonna be a set of old episodes. Now I'm confused. What does everyone else think it's gonna be?
From the description, it sounded to me like this will be a "best of" compilation of various skits and songs. Which actually appeals to me more than full episode DVD's, although that would be cool as well.

I guess they saw the success of the Electric Company DVD's and finally realized there is a market for classic Sesame Street on DVD. I'm anxious to see what they have in store for the content.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah, I love a good nostalgia now and then, but sometimes they get you into trouble.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For the last two weeks, every time I have gone to this message board, my internet connection has suddenly disconnected for some reason (I don't know why... this hasn't happened to other sites I've visited), so I am just now reading this. This is good news, especially since Sesame Workshop has said that we would probably have to wait untill 2007 for such a nostalgia set (maybe the clearances were made earlier than expected).

I wonder what will be on there, and by "nostalgia", I wonder what time period will be represented. Obviously, 1969 will be the beginning, but I wonder when Sesame Workshop considers the end of the "nostalgia" period to be.

I wonder if there will be linking segments or special features. With the recent Electric Company DVDs released, it would be good to see one of the Sesame Street/ Electric Company crossover specials as a special feature. It would be cool if one of the failed test pilots were included, but it would be even better to see the sales piece with Kermit and Rowlf.

Grover

Reaction score
It think they should try to include 10 episodes from seasons 1-3. I know Jim Henson Company owns the rights to "Sesame Street : 20 and Still Counting". I think SS Workshop should try to own the rights. Since all the other anniversarys are released.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Grover said:
It think they should try to include 10 episodes from seasons 1-3. I know Jim Henson Company owns the rights to "Sesame Street : 20 and Still Counting". I think SS Workshop should try to own the rights. Since all the other anniversarys are released.
The 25th anniversary special "Sesame Street's All-Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Streets Forever" has not been released on any official video format, either. And I'm not sure if "A Walking Tour of Sesame Street with James Earl Jones" counts as an anniversary special or a documentary (I've heard that it was produced around the time of Sesame Street's 10th anniversary). Same with Sesame Street Unpaved.

But even though Henson owns the 20th anniversary special, there have been many DVDs with features that were owned by other companies. For example, the recent Simpsons season sets have included commercials featuring The Simpsons, and I'm sure that those commercials are owned by the companies that owned the products that were being advertized. The first season set also includes the first short from The Tracy Ullman Show, which is not owned by Fox (I've read that it took so much trouble to even get that one short on DVD that Fox chose not to release the other shorts, though thankfully the shorts are not edited from The Simpson's 135th Episode Spectacular, though how Fox was able to get some of the shorts on the videos from 1998 and 1999 I do not know). The second season of Rocky and Bullwinkle also featured some cereal commercials, which are probably owned by the company that owns that cereal brand and not the company that currently owns Bullwinkle. So if that Sesame Workshop or Sony Wonder wanted to include that special on DVD as a bonus feature, I'm sure that Henson wouldn't be too against licensing the special for a commercial release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if the Nostalgia Box Set will be styled after The Electric Company set or if it will be slightly different.

If this set does have complete episodes, then maybe there could be three episodes per disc, with each disc representing a season (so we'd be getting episodes from the first four seasons), and some bonus material. If the discs just include inserts, I wonder if they will be all inserts or if they will have linking footage or documentary-style introductions.

Here is what I'd like to see as features if it is in fact a release of older one-hour episodes and a four-disc set:

Disc 1:
Sesame Street Test Pilot #1
Sesame Street Sales Piece

Disc 2:
A Walking Tour of Sesame Street

Disc 3:
Julie on Sesame Street
select unaired segments

Disc 4:
public service announcements featuring Cookie Monster
all-new interviews

doctort13

Reaction score
This is great news indeed! Just in time for my daughter's second birthday too!!! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.