1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by FuzzyBlue71, May 11, 2006.

?

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2006.
  1. Complete, uncut episodes

59 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Compilations of the best skits

28 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

41 vote(s)
    32.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That's great. I have some questions. If you plan on mentioning the stuff that I ask in your review then it's okay with me that you don't answer here.

Does the booklet give a listing of all sketches that are included, with possible titles? Does it list the sketches and give mention of what seasons the skits were originally from?

There is no voice dubbing, right (in other words, Martin Robinson didn't dub over Jerry Nelson's Snuffy lines)?

Does the original pilot feature Rowlf's scenes?

Is the baker film for the number nine (featuring a cameo by Rowlf) included?

Do you know if any of the episodes are edited (you can check the individual episode pages at Muppet Wiki to see if those page lists any sketches that aren't included on the set.... and if you are a member, fell free to list any sketches that are not listed in those pages, as Noggin's edits to most episodes are unknown to the users of Muppet Wiki)?

Do the episodes have the original Children's Television Workshop logo? Is there an added Sesame Workshop logo (and an added "Kermit the Frog is a trademark of The Muppets Holding Company" copyright credit)?

I won't ask you to list every bonus sketch that's included. You can do that in your review, or list them on your own.
  2. chpoof

chpoof New Member

The only edit I'm aware of in the season 1 premiere was to the kids playing follow the leader (my fondest memory as a kid!). I'm *really* hoping that skit appears in its entirety (and, of course, I hope all the remaining episodes are complete as well). My understanding is that Noggin edited out most of the scenes where Jimmy goofs up. Sorta defeats the whole purpose of "everyone makes mistakes," ya know? Anyway, I guess we'll all find out soon enough. :)
  3. minor muppetz

I would also like to know if the episodes have chapter stops.
  4. minor muppetz

I think it's great that the set has the first five premiers, but I think that maybe it should have been titled "Season Premier Collection", instead of "Old School". That way, we'd know for sure if the next set (let's hope there will be one) would be the next five seasosn or not. We'll just have to hope that this set sells well and wait for a press release concerning the next set, to see if the next one will be more episodes from these seasons, the season premiers for seasosn 6-10, some episodes from the first five years and some from some additional seasons, or something else.
  5. minor muppetz

I had an idea. I am not sure how good or bad this would be. But maybe, after the set is released and we know what all of the included sketches are, we could make a list of the top 45 skits from the first five seasons (and maybe also the last five seasons of the 1970s) that we want on volume two, and after it's all done, one of us who has had quite a bit of good experience e-mailling Sesame Workshop and/ or Sony Wonder could compile the top 45 most-wanted skits that aren't included on volume one and also mention whatever thread has the wishlists of fans (to prove that they are the most-wanted, and to see what else fans want). I say we could include the first and secodn five years, because we don't know for sure if Sesame Workshop is planning on releasing episodes from later seasons or just sticking to the first five.

I think that listing a wish list of episodes might be tricky. There are a lot of episodes that were shown on Noggin that many of us have seen and would probably like to have on an official DVD. There are also a lot of episodes not shown on Noggin that have either been mentioned in articles or books or even mentioned by fans, episodes of which we don't know the exact number of (most of you probably saw those episodes as kids, and what kind of kid would memorize an episode number well enough to still remember it?). And we all probably want some episodes that we don't even know about, and there are hundreds of those.

Still, I think that would be a good idea. What do you think?
  6. Astro4004

Astro4004 New Member

Is it true that Kermit has been edited from the all of the episodes?
  7. minor muppetz

I think it's pretty much been confirmed that Kermit will be included on the set. Hopefully none of his skits have been cut from any of the episodes included. But the official site shows a clip montage that includes a Kermit scene, and the official press release mentions that the set has Kermit singing Bein' Green. I was looking at the pages for these episodes at Muppet Wiki, and by my count, there are at least 11 Kermit scenes (assuming that none of them are cut), including confirmed bonus skits (I'm assuming they are bonus skits, but they could have been cut in Noggins broadcast of these episodes).
  8. minor muppetz

I have been looking at the sketch lists for the episodes included, and thinking about the bonus skits that are known, and by my count, the set has at least 19 skits that have already been released on video and/ or DVD:
    1. Wanda the Witch
    2. Doll House
    3. Beat the Time with Cookie Monster
    4. C is for Cookie
    5. Dee, Dee, Dee
    6. Sesame Street News: Rupunzel
    7. The Alligator King
    8. The King of 8
    9. Ernie doens't think he's special
    10. Daddy Dear
    11. Doin' the Pigeon
    12. Ladybug Picnic
    13. Over, Under, Around, and Through
    14. Everybody Sleeps
    15. Kermit and a girl recite the alphabet
    16. counting to 20 with four-armed man
    17. The Chicken or the Egg
    18. How do you Do?
    19. Fat Cat

and there are a few maybes:
    20. Pinball Number Count.... it wasn't said which Pinball Number Count sketch will be included (I'm guessing it's not the remix created for the What's the Name of That Song? DVD). The sketch for 12 has already been released on video and DVD, but I don't think the others have.
    21. Rubber Duckie... this could be the one that's been available on many video and DVD releases, or this could be the version from one of the test pilots.

It looks like the set also has five repeated segments:
    1. Wanda the Witch (showj twice in episode 1)
    2. W is for Worm (shown twice in episode 1)
    3. Daddy Dear (shown in the season 4 and 5 premiers)
    4. Jazz #2 (in episode 1 and season 5 premier)
    5. Let's Sing a Song of two (in episode one and shown twice in another episode)
  9. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Oh, could you just post the link for your review, please?

Instead of teasing us like this, just either divulge some more details or post the silly link! :)
  10. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

The review will be on-line as soon as possible. Any questions that aren't answered there feel free to ask after the review is on-line.
  11. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Oooh I CANNOT wait any longer...

Looking forward to reading the review as well.

:p :( :grouchy:

...and we're just 8 days away from it! SW-eet!
  12. gbrobeck

gbrobeck Member

I don't know who said Pinball Number Count would be included. It is definitely not on this set at all. All of the bonus clips are from the first five seasons.

Greg
  13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Me thinks it was mentioned in one of the press releases proffered by Sesame Workshop.
  14. minor muppetz

I saw it mentioned in the press release that confirmed that it was five episodes from the first five years and mentioned what bonus skits are included. That was mentioned among the bonus clips. I guess it was a mistake.
  15. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Hey Greg:

How'd you score an early copy? Can't wait for your review!
  16. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

I believe the Pinball Count was also shown in the preview video. But I'm not complaining, because as much as I love those segments, they don't belong on this particular set.
  17. minor muppetz

I've been thinking... it was said that each episode is accompanied by a selection of skits from each season. If there are 45 skits and five episodes, it would make sense for each year to have nine segments included, to make them all even. I don't know if I am right or not, but that's what I predict, and I hope that I know soon.

And I've got another skit to add to the list of included skits that have already been released on video and/ or DVD, but it could be in a maybe. The press release mentioned that it has Kermit singing Bein' Green. I know of three different versions of the song, and two of them have been released on video. The one that hasn't is the version with Lena Horne, but the press release specifically says that it includes "Kermit singing Bein' Green", not "Kermit and Lena Horne singing Bein' Green". o that leaves one of the tw others, but which one?

And I do have mixed feelings about which one. On one hand, I would rather have the original version. I like that one better. And it's only been released on one video while the other one has been included on two videos. On the other hand, I already know that the original one is from the first season, but I don't know which season the other one is, and if it's a bonus skit, then I would know just by watching it. And I have a copy of one of those videos, but not the video with the original version. Ironically, although the remake was released on video twice, neither of those videos have been released on DVD, while the video with the original version has been released on DVD.
  18. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will actually release EVERY (old) episode in the next few years/months to come...

Like, right now: they're starting with 1969-1974 vol. 1, and maybe they'll continue with that era later on. Say they reach up to...I don't know: 20 volumes(that's just my guess)

And then: 1975-1978

*1979-1982

*1983-1986

*1987-1989

What I'd also hope to see in the future of those DVD releases are the 5 test pilots, behind-the-scene footage, the "Out to Lunch" special, few guest appearances from other shows(that's a possibility), clips of Sesame Street around the world(Germany, France, Kuwait, Phillipines, Turkey, Portagul, Israel, Brazil, Mexico, Spain)...
  19. Grover

Grover New Member

As MM mentioned if we probably have nine segments from each season that leaves us with

1 Season-
    Rubber Duckie (Maybe)
    I Love Trash
    Being Green (Maybe)
    Alphabet with Jackie Robinson
    Alphabet with James Earl Jones

2 Season-
    The King of Eight

3 Season-
    C is For Cookie
    Ladybug Picnic
    The Alligator King
    News Flash - Rapunzle
    I am Somebody
    Over, Under, Around, and Through
    Ernie decorates the apartment for the viewer.

4 Season-
    Super Grover - Lost Girl
    Being Green w/ Lena Horn (maybe)

5- Season
  20. minor muppetz

I would like to make a wish list along with what is known. Of course, a wishlist might be pointless considering that the set is out and we will know what's included soon, but here goes something. And some of the years are guesses.

1 Season-
    Rubber Duckie (Maybe)
    I Love Trash
    Being Green (Maybe)
    Alphabet with Jackie Robinson
    Alphabet with James Earl Jones
    Let's Sing a Song of Nine
    Jazz #7
    Ernie eats Bert's cake
    Proffessor Hastings' lecture on parts of the body
    Lefty attempts to sell a U (if the original Bein' Green is not included)

2 Season-
    The King of Eight
    Mad
    Harvey Kneeslapper: do you know where I wanna B?
    a Ralph and Wally skit
    Ernie imagines himself and Bert switching roles
    Ernie and Cookie Monster talk about hope
    Roosevelt Franklin's Days of the Week
    Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot count three blocks
    Grover thinks he is going to surprise Ernie

3 Season-
    C is For Cookie
    Ladybug Picnic
    The Alligator King
    News Flash - Rapunzle
    I am Somebody
    Over, Under, Around, and Through
    Ernie decorates the apartment for the viewer.
    Penny Candy Man
    Grover the Waiter: Hamburger

4 Season-
    Super Grover - Lost Girl
    Being Green w/ Lena Horn (maybe)
    Herry and John John count to 20
    News Flash - The Count counts three little pigs
    Ernie makes a clay sculpture of Bert
    We Coulda
    a Twiddlebugs sketch
    The Nobel Ostrich
    Grover the Plumber
    The Count and Cookie Monster count and eat cookies (if this version of Bein' Green isn't included)

5- Season
    Nasty Dan
    The Ballad of Casey McPhee
    Harvey Kneeslapper: ya want one?
    Lefty attempts to sell Ernie an invisible ice cream cone
    the difference and similarities between Ernie and Cookie Monster
    Super Grover - haircut
    News Flash - Hickory Dickory Dock
    Bert's purple hand
    The Anything-in-the-Whole-Wide World Prize Game
    Kermit and Bob talk about frogs

It has been said that the DVD will include Bob singing Sing. I don't know which season it is from, but unless it was edited from a Noggin showing, then depending on the season I would have it replace: Ernie eating Bert's cake from season one, a Ralph and Wally sketch from season two, Penny Candy Man from season three, The Nobel Ostrich from season four (besides, I don't know if that season is accurate), and The Anything in the Whole Wide World Prize Game from season five (besides, I don't know if that season is accurate).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.