Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Three or four nights ago, I had a dream that a preview for this set was shown, on TV or a DVD. The preview featured clips that obviously weren't from the first season. Some of the clips included a shot of Big Bird and some kids on the street, an Oscar the Grouch clip (he was green here), a clip from the skit where Kermit gets Grover to dress up as a fire fighter in the park, and a strange clip of Kermit and Telly Monster in the backstage set of The Muppet Show.

Too bad it was just a dream.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Doubts

I am extremely skeptical about that October 24 release date.

It takes a good bit of time for DVDs to be manufactured, packaged, shipped, and distributed. At this point it's too late for the company to still be making decisions about what will or won't be on the discs and figuring out cover art. Those decisions would surely have been settled by now to meet an October street date (sorry, no pun intended).

And if those things have been finalized, then why aren't they revealing this information? Is the marketing/relations/whatever person asleep at the wheel?

I don't doubt that there will be a DVD set. I don't doubt that I will buy it and love it. I do doubt that it will show up in October and wouldn't be surprised if it were delayed until December or January. (Then again, maybe the Muppet Show box-set mess just makes me too pessimistic.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
I am extremely skeptical about that October 24 release date.

It takes a good bit of time for DVDs to be manufactured, packaged, shipped, and distributed. At this point it's too late for the company to still be making decisions about what will or won't be on the discs and figuring out cover art. Those decisions would surely have been settled by now to meet an October street date (sorry, no pun intended).

And if those things have been finalized, then why aren't they revealing this information? Is the marketing/relations/whatever person asleep at the wheel?

I don't doubt that there will be a DVD set. I don't doubt that I will buy it and love it. I do doubt that it will show up in October and wouldn't be surprised if it were delayed until December or January. (Then again, maybe the Muppet Show box-set mess just makes me too pessimistic.)
I have a feeling that it has been decided on. Back in November, somebody had gotten an e-mail from Sesame Workshop stating that a set was being considered, but due to legal clearances it would take awhile to be released, with 2007 being the earliest to expect it, then it was announced to be released in 2006. If there are a lot of legalties involved, then it would be odd for Sesame Workshop to still be indecisive about what to include. This has been put up for pre-order on Amazon, and I doubt that an online store would make something available for pre-order if that site didn't have any official confirmation from the company releasing the set (surely an online store wouldn't start taking pre-orders just because fans have been informed about the set).

DTWolf

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I doubt that an online store would make something available for pre-order if that site didn't have any official confirmation from the company releasing the set (surely an online store wouldn't start taking pre-orders just because fans have been informed about the set).
Well, yes, they put up preorders based on what the publishers tell them; and generally don't change the release dates until the publishers tell them to.

I'm sure Amazon did have official confirmation from the DVD publisher before opening the preorder page; the question is, was the DVD publisher giving a realistic estimate? I think Sony Wonder was being overly optimistic and will have to announce a new date one of these days.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Not yet Foz... In response to worries/fears that the DVD won't be released on 10/24...

Ah, how good it feels to have people worrying/afraid about roll-back release dates. Takes me back to when we were anxiously anticipating the next new members of the family to be immortalized in plastic form.

Good times.

giovannii

Reaction score
Have they released what will be on this yet? I'll pre-order it once I know wats on it.

John

BillKal

Reaction score
giovannii said:
Have they released what will be on this yet? I'll pre-order it once I know wats on it.

John
Yeah, Same with me. Of course, they might not announce it until it's released or last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.