Official Muppet Scale/Chart?

beaker

Reaction score
Over the years Ive seen within illustrated books, multiple action figure lines, etc so many varying charts and heights of the Muppets. Is there an official Muppet guideline?

This is from 2003 I believe, the back of a Muppet package which from what I can tell has a pretty accurate gauge on what the scale of Kermit, Rizzo, Animal, Fozzie, Piggy and Gonzo should be(and Im guessing Pepe would be in the Kermit/Rizzo area)

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww109/neoramen/muppets25years.jpg

I wanted to get back into doing Muppet art/comic pages, but am still confused as to the actual scale of these guys. Is Animal REALLY that tall?

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
I agree, Animal looks pretty tall in that, alot taller than I thought he was...

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Yes, Animal is much taller than I would have assumed, but of course, we usually see him sitting down at his drum kit. :halo::sing:

And Kermie is rather short compared to how tall I would have guessed. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Over the years Ive seen within illustrated books, multiple action figure lines, etc so many varying charts and heights of the Muppets. Is there an official Muppet guideline?

This is from 2003 I believe, the back of a Muppet package which from what I can tell has a pretty accurate gauge on what the scale of Kermit, Rizzo, Animal, Fozzie, Piggy and Gonzo should be(and Im guessing Pepe would be in the Kermit/Rizzo area)

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww109/neoramen/muppets25years.jpg

I wanted to get back into doing Muppet art/comic pages, but am still confused as to the actual scale of these guys. Is Animal REALLY that tall?
That is an accurate size chart. Of course, the Muppets are "cheated out" with one another and their human guest star counterparts so that they are appealingly framed.

Animal IS that tall, however he crouches over. He's jumping in that shot so his legs are fully extended. Most Muppets are about the same height as Scooter, but that there really is no official scale used except maybe in clip art and most of that is approximated. Hope this helps.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I decided when I write fics to generalize the scale.

6-8 inches: Doozers, Waldo, Robin

1 footers (give or take): Rizzo, Pepe

2 footers (give or take): Kermit, Gonzo, Fraggles (more or less), Scooter

3-4 footers (give or take): Piggy, Fozzie, the EM band, Bunsen/Beaker

5-6 footers (give or take): Bobby/Howard, Samson, Bobo

7-10 footers (give or take): Your Muppet full-body monsters such as Sweetums, Thog, etc

edit: I use this as a general guide because I remember reading that Kermit is anywhere from 18 to 22 inches. That puts him in the smaller range of Fraggles, like in between Boober and Gobo. I may be off by a few inches on my guesses, but I don't have action figures or something with which to do the math :stick_out_tongue:

Gerbert

Reaction score
Bert, Ernie, And Kermit Are 22 Inches. Pepe And Rizzo Are 9. Thog, Sweetums, And Doglion,Are 9, 8, And 7.

Dearth

Reaction score
I remember reading that Kermit is anywhere from 18 to 22 inches. That puts him in the smaller range of Fraggles, like in between Boober and Gobo.
The scene in Muppet Family Christmas when Kermit and Robin find a Fraggle Hole in Ma Bear's cellar would support this approximation. I always thought Fraggles would have been a lot smaller than regular Muppets, for some reason (possibly to make the Gorgs seem even more massive), but once you see the Frogs and the Fraggles in the same shot, it becomes the yardstick in your mind everafter.

Dearth

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The scene in Muppet Family Christmas when Kermit and Robin find a Fraggle Hole in Ma Bear's cellar would support this approximation. I always thought Fraggles would have been a lot smaller than regular Muppets, for some reason (possibly to make the Gorgs seem even more massive), but once you see the Frogs and the Fraggles in the same shot, it becomes the yardstick in your mind everafter.

Dearth
Yeah, it always leaves me confused because in that scene, we see the fraggles at about the same size as those two, but throughout the two TV series, you can see that the Muppets are about half the height of the guest stars while the fraggles are rather small compared to Doc. :confused:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
But Fraggle Rock was far more consistent in their scaling than the Muppets ever could be. The Fraggles, more or less, are supposed to be 22-24 inches tall. On me, that puts them just above my knee. "Knee-high" is supposed to be the theme of the scale on that show. Doozers are 6 inches, "knee-high" to a Fraggle. Fraggles are supposed to be roughly "knee-high" to a Gorg (if you notice, Gorgs seem to have short shins). The chart I saw for Fraggle Rock had Ma at 22 feet or something. Junior would probably be 24 feet, give or take.

The problem with figuring out Muppet scales is that, like it's been mentioned before, the camera guy cheats. Watch an outtake of Austin Powers Goldmember. The director gripes in a scene with Mini-Me that "all I can see is butts". The Fraggle-sized actor chuckles and says "Welcome to my world". It's a framing problem, nothing more. There is no physical way Robin can be roughly 6-8 inches and talk to a 5ft tall human at waist height without some platform of some sort. The Muppet Show was just awful with that. Kermit would be at his desk (in the comics, he's sitting on a stool), which seems to be waist-height at least on some humans, but how do the shorter characters appear waist high in front of the desk? It's impossible. Kermit should be Fraggle-sized because the measurements as stated fit. We can't confuse how the Muppets look in front of the camera from the waist up. Looking at full-body shots, it's abundantly clear that there is no realistic way of getting Kermit waist high on a human being.